• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Reflex / Holo sight advice.

Started by styks, August 14, 2012, 08:54:41 PM

styks

Hey guys, new here and have said hello in the right place.
I've just bought a 2240 and in the process of modifying as best I can for informal target and
close vermin in camp. I tell you, even after 40 odd years of Air rifle/gun shooting this little pistol has brought a big smile to my face!! :)
I do like iron sights and can no doubt get something to fit the new breech dove tails but I'd like to try a reflex type holo sight.
I had an old russian holo sight which was nice but a bit of a pain to adjust. I mention it because the floating chevron was nice and bright and very crisp.
I've looked at a modern NC Star but the dot was very fuzzy.
I'm trying to find a sight with a nice crisp dot/reticle, good and bright for day use but not at Aimpoint, C-more prices etc.
I know it cuts down my options quite a bit but I'd like 11mm dovetail fiting, I'd like to keep it as low as poss.
I would consider using a dove tail to Weaver adapter if there's no decent option in 11mm dovetail.

Must be 3 MOA or smaller dot.

The one I've seen which doesn't look so bad is the Sight Mark SM13003B-DT .... http://www.sightmark....il-sm13003b-dt

Can't find any in the UK though after googling away for a while.

Oh, considered a tube one but am I correct in saying that they are eye alignment fussy? .... Plus they're quite a bit bigger.

Any suggestions guys?? ..... Looking to spend around £100 - £150.

Did a quick search but not hit anything yet.

Cheers in advance.

1377x

closed mouths dont get fed

Fronzdan

I was just looking on the sightmark site (your link didn't work).  The one you were looking at does come with an 11mm mount.  I've never seen this dovetail version sold anywhere though.  I have a couple of the similar model with the weaver.  They are great sights.  The reticles are switchable and are sharp.  Sometimes the lines of the crosshairs look a little skewed depending on head alignment, but they are sharp and reliable.  I prefer these over the tube style myself.  In addition to sightmark, they are sold under many brands and no-names.  I suspect they are all made by one factory and rebranded.  I have three of this style of reflex sight.

styks

Thanks 1377x but it is a reflex I'm looking for.

Hi Fronzdan. .. Try this ... http://www.sightmark.com/products/reflex-sights/sure-shot-black-dove-tail-sm13003b-dt
The weaver ones you have sound ok. Do you have a model number for them?
It's deffinately the type I'd like but as you say it looks like I'm going to have to use a DT to Weaver adapter.  :(
If you find anything UK side I'd appreciate a link.

I did see this but not been able to find an example in a shop to have a gander. .......... http://www.midwayuk.com/epages/Midway_UK.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Midway_UK/Products/351380&ff_pos=21&ff_origPos=21&ff_simi=99.97&ff_TrackGUID=502A9FD0-1BAC-BD1A-5A3E-0A0A0511EC12

breakfastchef

Quote from: styks on August 14, 2012, 08:54:41 PM
I'm trying to find a sight with a nice crisp dot/reticle, good and bright for day use but not at Aimpoint, C-more prices etc.

They don't exist. I have four reflex sights (no EOTech, Aimpoints, etc) and each has some degree of 'blurriness'. I have a Walther, Tasco, TruGlo, and Barska. Each is fairly accurate if I do my part.

Quote from: styks on August 14, 2012, 08:54:41 PM
Oh, considered a tube one but am I correct in saying that they are eye alignment fussy? .... Plus they're quite a bit bigger.

Parallax is an issue with reflex and tube style red dots. I agree that some of the tube style sights are large and awkward looking.
Larry

RC1947

http://www.sightmark.com/products/reflex-sights/sure-shot-black-dove-tail-sm13003b-dt

As Styks posted. the multi-reticle thing appeals to me.  I haven't tried one of those. RC

styks

Hi Breakfastchef,
I had one that was excellent, if I can find another I may try again.
It was a Russian Holo sight. It projected an upsidedown chevron onto the lens, boy it was as sharp as you like and bright.
It was a pain to zero, an outer ring which pinched the lens within, you had to loosen a screw and move the lens a fraction then re-tighten.
Of course once set at your prefered range then that was it. I suppose that's all you really need for millitary use, hold under or over as experience tells you.
May be if I opt for a 2 MOA dot it would be better, even if there is a bit of flare.

Regarding paralax, yes I guess it is but I thought I read somewhere less so with a single lens reflex/holo sight?

1377x

closed mouths dont get fed

Fronzdan

Styx, have you tried the uk eBay site?  Those reflex sights similar or the same as the Sightmark you linked are all over the US eBay.  Of all the sights I have...Tasco, Aimpoint, UTG, Adco, Sightmark and no label, this open style reflex type have the sharpest reticle.  The Burris that 1377x linked is one I've been drooling over as well.  Sightmark and others make that compact style too.

styks

Quote from: Fronzdan on August 15, 2012, 05:23:51 PM
Styx, have you tried the uk eBay site?  Those reflex sights similar or the same as the Sightmark you linked are all over the US eBay.  Of all the sights I have...Tasco, Aimpoint, UTG, Adco, Sightmark and no label, this open style reflex type have the sharpest reticle.  The Burris that 1377x linked is one I've been drooling over as well.  Sightmark and others make that compact style too.
Hi,
Yes I've seen similar reflex sights all over UK ebay as you can in the US but I was worried about cheap copies of these so just don't know whats good and bad unless I take a risk. The Burris that 1377x linked looks good but out of my price range here in the UK.

I've been looking at this but tbh I think I'd only be using the 2 MOA dot so the rest would be wasted. If I could find similar with just the dot that would do fine. .... Any others you know of ??

Fronzdan

I can't say for sure, but I really do think all the reflex sights that look like that are cranked out of the same factory.  I use at least two of the reticle types regularly.  The dot is great for plinking, but the crosshairs with the dot works better on certain bullseye styles.