• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

2240 Dedicated .177 breech and probe. + a little problem

Started by styks, August 19, 2012, 08:46:02 PM

styks

Hi all,
My bits arrived for my 2240, Steel breech, brass power adjuster, brass barrel band, brass 1/3 UNF adapter.
It's all good so far, just one little issue with the steel breech not fitting flat on the tube, rocking on the transfer port.
I think I got the TP upside down, is it the long side to the valve or the short? If the short side I thought it might compress the seal
and possibly bulge it out causing gas flow restriction?? So I put the long side in the seal?

Anyhow I'm sure I'll sort that ok but any advice would be appreciated. I'll post a pic or two when it's sorted.

My main question is :

Does anyone do a dedicated .177 breech and probe? In the UK pref. Or wherever if they will accept PP.

My problem with just changing probe and barrel is that I feel the pellet feeding will suffer greatly! Got to really with that .177 round wobbling around in a .22 breech. I could fill the breech screw area with JB Weld and smooth it to stop that troublesome area grabbing the pellet, but I would rather have a dedicated breech and probe tbh.

Oh, and can I get that "Drop Sear" trigger unit here in the UK or is it US only?

JEBert

styks,
Crosman sells the steel breech kit for either the .22 or the .177.  However, the breech is the same and the only difference is the bolt.  Even the OEM plastic breeches show the same part number between the 1377(.177) and the 2240(.22).
I have two kits, one 1377SBPK and one 1322SBPK, both with Don Cothran DC-151 SS .177 bolts in them, on two different 1377's and they both work flawlessly.  I have also polished the leade in all of my barrels and that seems to help with loading the pellet more than anything else.
As far as the drop-sear system, if you are referring to the P-rod trigger frame, I don't think Crosman ships to overseas locations.  However, you may be able to get around that by purchasing from a supplier that buys the item for you and ships it to you as long as it is legal to do so.  Some folks on here have been known to do that too.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

areanl4

Hello there Styks,

I am from the uk too and have modded quite a few 2240/2250 and benjamin disco's

If you want any modded parts including metal breeches and new probes - go to this link

http://www.gmaccustomparts.com

the gent who runs this company cannot  do enough to help - he really is a star, i can't recommend him enough!!

Dave

PS the gent above is correct the breech is the same for the .22 or .177 - only difference is the barrel  and probe, which you obviously have to match to get a seal when
the pellet is loaded ie .22 probe and .22 barrel OR .177 probe and .177 Barrel.

Davio

This newb is very glad this subject came up.  I thought my leftover metal breech was specifically .22 and to go to .177 I would have to get another.  So only the bolt, then.  Good news.  Thanks to OP and replies.  :)
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

styks

Ta for that info guys, yes I got my bits of Gmac.Just having one little problem with the steel breech though.
I can't seem to get it to lie flat against the tube. (I know it's only the edges of the concave that will touch as it's made to fit two, differing diameter tube, CM models.)
Tried everything, confirmed with Gmac which way the transfer port / TP went in, short end in seal, but still no go! The front is not snuggly down.
If I remove the barrel band and loosen the rear breech bolt I can then push the front edges to the tube, but then the barrel band won't fit!
It's as if it's rocking on the TP ie it's too long or the concave has been machined to deep.
I'm in coms with Gordon so no doubt we will sort it, seems a good bloke :-)

Back to the thread .....
It's a pity no one makes a dedicated .177 breech and loading bolt. ......... I think it would be great for target guys.

Just imagine that lovely .177 channel, your beautifully fitting probe pushing that lovely match wad-cutter nicely into the rifling!!
Doesn't that turn you on??  ;)

It does me!

breakfastchef

If the original breech fit properly, the new one should too unless it was buggered in manufacturing. Make sure the hole in the barrel is lining up perfectly with the transfer sleeve. This would definitely cause the rocking motion you describe. If you are using a seal on top of the transfer sleeve, ditch it and try installing the breech again.
Larry

arkmaker †

Quote from: styks on August 19, 2012, 08:46:02 PM
. I could fill the breech screw area with JB Weld and smooth it to stop that troublesome area grabbing the pellet,

Don't use JB Weld!! Just a couple of drops of candle wax, smoothed out with you finger will do the trick.. JB Weld will be a nightmare to remove if you ever need to take the gun apart again.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

styks

I've had it apart several times now, the TP is situated perfectly, there is no TP to barrel seal.
What I will do tomorrow is remove the TP and bolt it together , see how it comes together without.
It will pin point the problem, may be.

Ha Ha yes I thought that as soon as I wrote " J B Weld" ... I'll probably use some sealing wax I have here.
A little more wear resistant than candle wax and quite easy to remove if needed. Smoothing it won't be as easy though.

I've ordered another breech this time in alloy. I want to see how the lower weight feels.
I'll see how that compares fit wise, it might just be me being overly fussy!

If you inspect yours closely does the breech lie on the tube the whole length?
Or is it fractionally off at the filling cap end, like mine?

JEBert

See how it fits without the transfer port in place.  That should help you figure out whether the TP is holding it off or if something else is askew.  Also when you put it back together, leave the barrel setscrew out until the transfer port is seated and the breech is tightened down.  That is to say, let the transfer port line up the barrel as you tighten the breech down.
Something sure ain't right.
Let us know what you find out.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member

styks

Quote from: JEBert on August 20, 2012, 04:38:31 AM
See how it fits without the transfer port in place.  That should help you figure out whether the TP is holding it off or if something else is askew.  Also when you put it back together, leave the barrel setscrew out until the transfer port is seated and the breech is tightened down.  That is to say, let the transfer port line up the barrel as you tighten the breech down.
Something sure ain't right.
Let us know what you find out.
Cheers,

Hi JEBert,
Yes if you read my post before this, that's exactly what I planned to do. :)

Just put it all together without the TP in place and it sits beautifully on the tube.
Now the barrel band will not fit, the barrel is sitting too low now. The barrel needs to be about 1 - 1.5 mm higher off the tube.
This certainly shows that the concave/scallop on the breech has been machined to deep. ... Must be!!
I'll wait for my alloy one to arrive before I start making alterations.

JEBert

QuoteWhat I will do tomorrow is remove the TP and bolt it together , see how it comes together without.
It will pin point the problem, may be.
Yes, I see that now.  I just missed it the first time.
I hope you get it sorted out.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member

1377x

Quote from: arkmaker on August 20, 2012, 02:16:22 AM
Don't use JB Weld!! Just a couple of drops of candle wax, smoothed out with you finger will do the trick.. JB Weld will be a nightmare to remove if you ever need to take the gun apart again.
not if he uses a release agent before filling it in after the jbwed cures it will come out like a plug.a sharp pick would be needed
candlewax would be an easier route to take

OP
is your barrel centered? loosen the grub screw on the breech ,rotate barrel until locks in the transfer port tighten grub screw .the breech should lay flat after that
closed mouths dont get fed

styks

Quote from: 1377x on August 20, 2012, 07:59:38 PM
not if he uses a release agent before filling it in after the jbwed cures it will come out like a plug.a sharp pick would be needed
candlewax would be an easier route to take

OP
is your barrel centered? loosen the grub screw on the breech ,rotate barrel until locks in the transfer port tighten grub screw .the breech should lay flat after that

Hi, yes I could use a release agent but I think my sealing wax will do the job nicely.

Yes tried all that,  I've checked, re-checked and checked again to make sure the TP is located correctly, if you read my post above you will see that the breech sits great if I remove the TP.
But then the brass barrel band won't fit, it can only be that concave / scalloped area is too deep. If it was less deep, by about 1.25 mm, ie so there's more metal between the main tube and barrel,  the breech/barrel would not rock on the TP and the barrel band would fit.
Not sure that's clear .... I hope you get my drift.
My Alloy breech will be here tomorrow or Weds so I'll see what that's like.

styks

I'm going to try and find someone prepared to make an alloy dedicated .177 breech. I have a .177 target pistol idea in mind.
I'll ask Gordon at Gmac if he's prepared to give it a go. It's only a matter of boring the feed channel smaller for .177 and machining
the probe to suit, may be a longer more substantial cocking pin installed deeper in the hammer, longer breech screw and re-sized rear plug. The probe is probably best in Stainless / steel as there will be less metal around the screw in bolt fitting.

If Gmac can't do it can you guys point me in the right direction to another breech manufacturer that might??
Pity I don't have a lathe, I'd have a go myself.

1377x

thats crazy your barrel and transfer port are the same ones you started with?
it sounds like the barrel isnt right but if its the same one you started with this one for the mystery books
closed mouths dont get fed