• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Oiling the gun

Started by MyCrosman, August 20, 2012, 11:39:35 PM

MyCrosman

I have recently purchased a Crosman 1377 and so far I love it.Not sure about what points on the gun require lubrication and what kind.Also,the manual says to store the gun with no pumps(charge) and you tube users say to leave one or two pumps in the gun when not in use.Who is right?

BDS

If it's YouTube it must be right!  :D ;D

Seriously, yes, leave two pumps in her, keeps the valve closed from outside air and the seal seated. Cros states "no pumps left in gun" to keep lawyers happy, not you.

2) Light gun oil (Rem Oil) on the linkage pins.
3) Crosman Pellgunoil, a drop or two every 100 rounds on the piston/wiper o-rings
4) Crosman Pellgunoil a very small drop on bolt o-ring every 100 rds or so
Brian

breakfastchef

Download the owner's manual from the Crosman website if you do not already have one. In there is mention of points of lubrication.

The old way (like years and years ago) when pellet an BB guns were more than likely stored in barns or outside, keeping two pumps in the gun prevented dust and such from getting into the valve. I suppose, that would be a good idea if you live in a dusty environment. Nowadays, living in climate controlled environments and anal-retentive about taking care of our guns, the need for pumps is not so important. In fact, by not letting springs and o-rings from being allowed to expand back to an original state puts a lot of unneeded stress. I no longer leave a charge in my pumpers. I only leave a charge in my CO2 guns when I expect to use them withing two days.
Larry

cmj21973

You skimmed the manual, didn't you? :o ;D

Picture is worth a thousand words.
Rear cocker: pg. 14 of paper manual; pg 8 of pdf
http://www.crosman.com/pdf/manuals/C1377-OM1.pdf

bolt cocker: section 7 and fig. 8
http://www.crosman.com/pdf/manuals/1377D515%20OM3.pdf

A couple of pumps to preserve valve seals and to keep moisture out.
Needed more than ever, to keep the oil from drying up, since the valves are now aluminium! :o ;D :-*

BerkshireHunter

Quote from: breakfastchef on August 21, 2012, 12:52:12 AM
Download the owner's manual from the Crosman website if you do not already have one. In there is mention of points of lubrication.

The old way (like years and years ago) when pellet an BB guns were more than likely stored in barns or outside, keeping two pumps in the gun prevented dust and such from getting into the valve. I suppose, that would be a good idea if you live in a dusty environment. Nowadays, living in climate controlled environments and anal-retentive about taking care of our guns, the need for pumps is not so important. In fact, by not letting springs and o-rings from being allowed to expand back to an original state puts a lot of unneeded stress. I no longer leave a charge in my pumpers. I only leave a charge in my CO2 guns when I expect to use them withing two days.
I had been curious about the benefit of leaving some pumps in the valve. The compression tube should keep most particles out. With the aluminum valves they use these days, I wondered if it would be better to leave the valves open so that air with varying humidity levels can escape the valve and dry out. ??

I may stop leaving a pump in some.

MyCrosman

Unfortunately I can't download PDF to obtain a manual. All I have is the instruction sheet that came with the gun so if anyone knows the exact points of lubrication,let me know.I have already fired 300 pellets so its probably time to lube something .......somewhere.Also..if anyone knows who to contact in Canada to purchase  wooden handles and a wooden pump arm for my 1377.please let me know.Thanks everyone.

breakfastchef

Quote from: MyCrosman on August 21, 2012, 02:59:01 AM
Also..if anyone knows who to contact in Canada to purchase  wooden handles and a wooden pump arm for my 1377.please let me know.Thanks everyone.

K&S from Ontario used to make grips. I do not know if they are still in business.

http://airgunartisans.com/AAKandS2.htm

Don't overlook RBGrips. Ralph may ship up north.
Larry

cmj21973

Quote from: MyCrosman on August 21, 2012, 02:59:01 AM
Unfortunately I can't download PDF to obtain a manual. All I have is the instruction sheet that came with the gun so if anyone knows the exact points of lubrication,let me know.I have already fired 300 pellets so its probably time to lube something .......somewhere.Also..if anyone knows who to contact in Canada to purchase  wooden handles and a wooden pump arm for my 1377.please let me know.Thanks everyone.

Didn't know that, hear you go then. The first one is for the one you have, second one is for just in case. ;) :-*

Just in case:
Bolt action:
1) 1 to 2 drops on pump cup seal.
2) 1 to 2 drops on pump arm linkage rivit.
3) 1 to 2 drops on pump arm pivot pin.

rear cocker:
same as bolt action plus
4) trigger
5) bolt probe seal
6) rear cocker.

Colt25

The manual sayd not to keep it charged, but the people who write the manual must be safety Nazis! No seriously, they tell you not to keep it charged is for safety. But keep er' charged, it will close all the seals and keep dirt out.