• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Pump pin hole wear: how big a problem and what to to about it?

Started by markasaurus, September 04, 2012, 03:47:04 PM

markasaurus

The pump pin hole in the 13xx pump tube obviously a very high wear area.  Has anyone worn out their pump pin holes and what did you do about it except replace the pump tube?  At a cost of about $10 from  Crosman ($6 for the tube and $4 shipping) maybe not a huge problem but other then silver soldering a steel tube reinforcement what us there to be done about pump pin wear?  Pictures would help if any body has come up with solutions,

Cross Pistol Packer

The original roll pin can flex some,and if you have to bash it out when the gun needs stripping down it does not do the tube holes a lot of good,best to invest in a solid pin,I have had one fitted,with many thousands of pumps done,oil it often,jobs a good one.
Crosmans, start as a hobby,then an obsession...

millipede

sometimes i wonder how well adding an extra pin would work, like the benji 39x guns have...

1377x

a solid pin is usually a hair bigger than the stock hole .the mellon solid pin kit comes with a bearing and sleeve they help keep the hole from stretching
the hole on my phase 2 stretched i put a mellon solid pin with the big ring attached it has not stretched any more
to prevent the hole from stretching dont abuse the gun,just like something else i can think of the slower you pump the better.when you try to speed pump you are abusing the gun.yeah it fills quicker but the heat generatated from fast pumping will kill your velocity once the gun cools.another thing the heat does is it leads to premature failure of your piston either your pump cup or o-rings will fry
if you are using anadjustable piston do not over adjust it.it should be adjusted to the point it stays closed when not in use.if you have to use some force to close your pump lever it will stretch the pivot,valve mounting hole and damage the rear of the piston by pressing it up against the nub that keep it from falling out the back of the tube
pinning the valve helps prevent hole stretching also .if the valve cant move it cant get damaged and it results in consistent numbers to
hope this makes some sense
closed mouths dont get fed

BDS

Quote from: markasaurus on September 04, 2012, 03:47:04 PM
The pump pin hole in the 13xx pump tube obviously a very high wear area.  Has anyone worn out their pump pin holes and what did you do about it except replace the pump tube?  At a cost of about $10 from  Crosman ($6 for the tube and $4 shipping) maybe not a huge problem but other then silver soldering a steel tube reinforcement what us there to be done about pump pin wear?  Pictures would help if any body has come up with solutions,

It's a high cycle area but, it doesn't have to be a high wear area. +1 to the other comments, hardened, solid pin, lube often and pump slowly.
Brian

1377x

closed mouths dont get fed