• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Megga Muzzle flip when rested.

Started by styks, September 05, 2012, 09:10:17 PM

styks

Now I know from searching that the 2240 flips up at the muzzle somewhat.
I'm not a very experienced pistol shot and something is puzzling me a tad.
Zeroing standing single handed 10M comp style as I do with my Baikal 46M I get it bang on over 10M.
I then decided today to rest on a bench with a cushion to see how tight I can get a group, to my surprise all impacts were
a good 1 1/2" high.  Over 10M that's quite a bit of flip!  :o

Now I'm quite good at physics, even though I say it myself, so I guess it's to do with weight? In the bench rest case my arm weight is reduced
quite a bit. I stretched well forward resting my upper arms on the cushion, still loads of flip.  ???
My 2240 now has a 10" barrel (cheers! Droid) a gmac ally breech and gmac mod adapter, moderator is a swift. It has light hammer spring and generates 5.5fpe at the muzzle.

Can you experienced pistol guys tell me why it flips more rested?

..... I occasionally use a shooting stick when out with my rifles and thought today I could fit a pad on top to rest the pistol for a bit of long range target fun.  I could be a foot over the top of the target if the same happens. I suppose I could a fit a muzzle flip reducer from gmac but I like things quiet!

Crosshairs

I'm a bit confused by what you mean by the term flip but I can tell you I never had that problem I can see if you went from 10 meters  to 5 meters then the poi would change that much are you sure you didn't bang the the sighting device.
          Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

styks

Quote from: Crosshairs on September 06, 2012, 12:53:33 PM
I'm a bit confused by what you mean by the term flip but I can tell you I never had that problem I can see if you went from 10 meters  to 5 meters then the poi would change that much are you sure you didn't bang the the sighting device.
          Mike

Hi Mike,
To put it simply, I'm talking about muzzle flip effecting the POI. I realise the 2240 is prone to muzzle flip but I get more muzzle flip (or possibly another effect) when rested on a bench than I do standing, moving the POI higher. I just wondered why that is or if anyone else has found this. My trigger technique is the same when shooting both ways.
This is shooting over 10M, both standing and rested.

Fronzdan

I think he means muzzle climb due to the slight recoil.  Its just the difference in holds.  When you're shooting 10m style, you're holding the gun by the grip and probably more firmly.  If your wrist and elbow are locked then the pivot is way back at you shoulder.  So theres more weight to counterbalance the slight recoil.  When your resting with a bag, your hold is slightly different and the pivot point is likely at the grip itself....less weight to counterbalance the recoil.

BDS

+ 1 to that, you change the pivot point to the wrist and/or the point of contact of the gun on the bag. Try it again but.. use your free hand to steady/restrain the gun on the bag. The only sure way to sight in or test a gun for POI and repeatability is in a shooting vise IMO
Brian

styks

Quote from: Fronzdan on September 06, 2012, 02:43:52 PM
I think he means muzzle climb due to the slight recoil.  Its just the difference in holds.  When you're shooting 10m style, you're holding the gun by the grip and probably more firmly.  If your wrist and elbow are locked then the pivot is way back at you shoulder.  So theres more weight to counterbalance the slight recoil.  When your resting with a bag, your hold is slightly different and the pivot point is likely at the grip itself....less weight to counterbalance the recoil.

Hi again Fronzdan. Muzzle climb, ar that's what you call it over the pond!  :) Yes I see exactly what you mean, in fact, I can feel it pivoting at the wrist when bench rested now I think.
Pistol shooting is certainly a very different discipline.  I don't get this effect when resting my Baikal but it is a very different beast. All I can do is be conscious of this if ever I rest on something to shoot, possibly firming my grip to try and counteract it a little. ... Cheers!

AZAG

I noticed a poi shift between rested and free hand that was due to how I was looking through the sighting device (scope or RD.)  At least that's what I convinced myself it was.  When shooting while standing I was upright, head/neck straight, and eyes facing forward.  When using the rest i was leaning forward, head down, and eyes looking up.  Now I raise the rest up a bit so that I can position my body just as it would be if I was shooting off hand.

styks

Quote from: AZAG on September 06, 2012, 09:13:48 PM
I noticed a poi shift between rested and free hand that was due to how I was looking through the sighting device (scope or RD.)  At least that's what I convinced myself it was.  When shooting while standing I was upright, head/neck straight, and eyes facing forward.  When using the rest i was leaning forward, head down, and eyes looking up.  Now I raise the rest up a bit so that I can position my body just as it would be if I was shooting off hand.

Yes I guess it could be a head alignment error, I'll extend my table legs, it does come up to about shoulder level, worth a try, cheers!

Fronzdan

The Baikal probably has zero recoil, right?  That would account for the differences.  Want to really see how hold can affect accuracy and POI, shoot a higher powered springer.

Head alignment...yep I have that problem.  I've noticed when shooting rested, with the same rifle, but different bulls placed enough apart to need me to adjust the positioning of the rifle slightly, I get noticeable POI shifts.  Same exact grouping just slight shifts in POI.  That's a head alignment issue combined with some parallax troubles with the scope.

T191032

"gmac mod adapter, moderator is a swift."

actually, you already have some weight out front, it's a matter of hold dynamics, as the other fellows have mentioned.  You may step over to our Target Shooting section and take a gander at some of the videos we have compiled there that may help you some.  If you try and apply some forward (hand holding 2240) and rearward (support hand) of a moderate degree against on another while shooting from a benchrested position and see if it helps you some (kinda the same way folks shoot "Weaver" standing, but we'll be conducting this experiment on the bench . . .)  I've had guns (powder burners) "flip" at times, and other times not as much when I'm doing it right testing for accuracy off the bench.
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

styks

Quote from: T191032 on September 07, 2012, 12:44:11 AM
"gmac mod adapter, moderator is a swift."

actually, you already have some weight out front, it's a matter of hold dynamics, as the other fellows have mentioned.  You may step over to our Target Shooting section and take a gander at some of the videos we have compiled there that may help you some.  If you try and apply some forward (hand holding 2240) and rearward (support hand) of a moderate degree against on another while shooting from a benchrested position and see if it helps you some (kinda the same way folks shoot "Weaver" standing, but we'll be conducting this experiment on the bench . . .)  I've had guns (powder burners) "flip" at times, and other times not as much when I'm doing it right testing for accuracy off the bench.

Ok thank you, I'll pop and have a gander. I can only shoot 10M target style standing because I have a fused left wrist (it don't bend at all) which makes two handed very difficult for me. I'm far more accurate/consistent shooting single handed. I can use two on a bench after a fashion so I'll experiment the way you say.