• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Decrease Power On 2240 With 1377 Barrel

Started by PLauGE, September 12, 2012, 08:15:41 PM

PLauGE

Hi all

Ive just bought a new barrel in .177 as i fancied a change in flavour

Fitted it and im more then happy with it, only problem being is its illegal to go over 6ft lbs in the uk and although it doesnt seem any more powerful im guessing witht he longer 10'' , cant check until i pick up some new batteries for the combro

Id like to keep the barrel if possible so could do with some ideas on how to bring the power down a little

T191032

No expert on the matter, but would hazard a guess and say that a power adjuster and/or using a spacer inside the Valve is part of your answer.

It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

1377x

you should be safe as long as no valve mods were done
if so you can choke of your transfer port,add a spacer to the inside of the valve or use a lighter pellet
after seeing t's suggestion cut a couple coils off the hammer spring
closed mouths dont get fed

PLauGE

Would a power adjuster cover my arse though? i do have one here , but with me being able to increase / decrease the power so easily potentially making it over the limit i wasnt sure where id stand

Ive not touched the valve so thats all as standard

1377x

Quote from: PLauGE on September 12, 2012, 08:50:17 PM
Would a power adjuster cover my arse though? i do have one here , but with me being able to increase / decrease the power so easily potentially making it over the limit i wasnt sure where id stand

Ive not touched the valve so thats all as standard
if you want to use the power adjuster cut a couple coils off the stock hammer spring.you can decrease velocity and increase up to xx and still be under the limit
can i ask
do they,the law,actually go around checking velocity of airguns? that you know of or is it just when you go to the range it gets checked?

PLauGE

Ive never known of the law to come to the house checking but i wouldnt put it past them if they got the slightest reason to come out to me, they dont take kindly to over the limit air guns either so its just not worth the risk of having one that could possibly be over the limit

1377x

Quote from: PLauGE on September 12, 2012, 09:13:39 PM
Ive never known of the law to come to the house checking but i wouldnt put it past them if they got the slightest reason to come out to me, they dont take kindly to over the limit air guns either so its just not worth the risk of having one that could possibly be over the limit
i hear you!
here in the US unregistered full auto machine guns have a very stiff punishment,so what people do is bump fire their semi auto guns giving them a
full auto effect.although its not a machine gun you fire at a faster rate of speed and still legal ;)

BDS

What does the actual text of the regulation state? (besides the 6 fpe max for pistols)

Although your anti-gun PM's don't have a thimble-full of scientific knowledge among them (IMO), they must have based their requirement on a certain muzzle velocity and pellet weight, right?  :D
Brian

droid

As long as the adjuster is set below the limit you should be ok.

Or use an adjuster that allows you to take the spring out without disassembly, with no spring it aint gonna fire.

My Steyr rifle had a dial under the stock that went up to 30ft lbs but it was dialed down for the UK market.

Gary
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

ped

afaik they test with light med and heavy pellets firing 5 of each then take an average to determin power but if  2 or more shots go over the limit then its deemed to be fac and 5 years at HM bed and breakfast(a pistol over the limit would be classed as section 5 the same as a machine gun )
if you use a power adjuster i would chrono at max setting as if it was tested they would test at max
what you could do is make a ptfe breech seal with a smaller hole (adjust hole size till you get the power right)
ped
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

BDS

So... highest power and lightest pellet per caliber sounds to be the "official test" eh?

Isn't it ironic that, in the States, we are pusrsuing the highest power with the heaviest pellet possible  :D

You guys should all come over to visit and then, stay! We have about 20 million acres of beautiful forest & public lands here in Idaho, about 3 million of which are easily traversable and shootable.

I'm sure an English Public House with a vast selection of Ales would do well here, especially if we had a shooting club to go along with it!

Some mash & bang in the morning and we're off in the great outdoors goin shootin!

Brian

ped

it's the heavy pellets designed for fac guns which give the problem for co2 guns my webley vulcan(springer) gives 11.5 fpe with my normal pellets and 10.2 fpe with 21.4 bisley magnums where as my 2250 carbine 10 fpe with crosman premiers and 11.7 fpe with bisley magnums
as all my guns are co2 or hpa apart from my vulcan i test every one with bisleys to find power even though i shoot with premiers or superdomes
ped

1377x

QuoteYou guys should all come over to visit and then, stay! We have about 20 million acres of beautiful forest & public lands here in Idaho, about 3 million of which are easily traversable and shootable.
why not thats how america got to be the country it is right :P

ped

Quote from: BDS on September 12, 2012, 10:46:48 PM
So... highest power and lightest pellet per caliber sounds to be the "official test" eh?

Isn't it ironic that, in the States, we are pusrsuing the highest power with the heaviest pellet possible  :D

You guys should all come over to visit and then, stay! We have about 20 million acres of beautiful forest & public lands here in Idaho, about 3 million of which are easily traversable and shootable.

I'm sure an English Public House with a vast selection of Ales would do well here, especially if we had a shooting club to go along with it!

Some mash & bang in the morning and we're off in the great outdoors goin shootin!

would love to come over you lads have it easy gun wise
bangers and mash for tea  :)
full english for breakfast  :)
ped

BDS

Quote from: ped on September 12, 2012, 11:36:09 PM
Quote from: BDS on September 12, 2012, 10:46:48 PM

would love to come over you lads have it easy gun wise
bangers and mash for tea  :)
full english for breakfast  :)
ped

Full English it is  :-*, and I learned from my mate in Coventry not to leave my knife & fork on my plate (half eaten meal) and go use the loo!
Damn if that doesn't mean "I'm done with my meal" in Engilsh restaurants... who would have guessed?  :D ???
Brian