Crosmods breech/barrel fit tip

Started by airriflenut, September 14, 2012, 02:31:47 AM

airriflenut

I don't know if anyone has mentioned anything about this topic before or not so I'll talk about it.

The Crosmods breech is awesome first of all!!  If anyone gets one do yourself a favor BEFORE you put your barrel in it...polish the first 5" or so of your barrel AND run a wood dowel wrapped with 0000 steel wool in the barrel hole on the breech.  The fit is so tight that if you plan on installing/removing the barrel as you work on your gun you may never get the barrel out again.  If you tighten the set screws they will (as usual with set screws) raise up a small burr on your barrel and make that tight fit damn near impossible for barrel removal.

Trust me, I learned the hard way yesterday.  It took locking the barrel carefully in a padded vise, several sprays of penetrating oil, heavy gloves and some words I won't repeat to get the barrel out!!!  If you do as mentioned above you shouldn't have any problems.  Now I can remove/install the barrel easily and it's still a tight fit.

Oh yeah, one other tip on the Crosmods breech and your barrel...when you are fitting your barrel put the transfer tube into the breech, gently move your barrel around until you feel that tube seat into the barrel transfer port.  Lightly snug up one set screw making sure your barrel didn't shift then lighly snug up the other set screw.  If that transfer tube still is well seated into the barrel then tighten the set screws.  Yes, I learned this the hard way as well  :P
Sterling

Nuts about airguns and just nuts in general...but I'm medicated.

1377x

i want to say you are not the first to say that about the breech barrel being a tight fit
thanks for posting.
this should help someone in the future.
closed mouths dont get fed

mudduck48

It's going to help me. I'm wainting for Crosman to send me my steel breech. Then the LPA sight. Thanks for the info.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

1377x

Quote from: mudduck48 on October 13, 2012, 04:16:05 AM
It's going to help me. I'm wainting for Crosman to send me my steel breech. Then the LPA sight. Thanks for the info.
please take note of the title of this thread
there is a difference between crosmods breech and a croman steel breech.with a crosman steel breech you dont have to worry about the barrel getting stuck

airriflenut

Thanks for the help Ed, I was just about to mention that I was talking about Crosmods breech, not Crosman...two totally different breeches.  That problem has long since been resolved and I love my Crosmods breech and trigger assembly. :-\ :-*
Sterling

1377x

you have been using that trigger assembly for some time now and you say you love it
how would you compare it to the stock crosman trigger? i would guess its like comparing apples and oranges.i would like to hear some detail like trigger travel,smoothness, crispness,slop over travel you get where im going, right?
the reason im asking is because its going to used in my POD PISTOL crosmanless crosman build
i know crosshairs has one and he basically said the same thing you did.its a nice trigger

Crosshairs

I have come across some tight fit barrels and breeches this is what i use and it works great.
                                            Mike
http://www.neverseezproducts.com/regulargrade.htm
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

arkmaker †

I also have run across a couple of tight fitting crosman breech's. In fact I have one on my table right now.

A common trick is to file a flat along where the set screw digs into the barrel.. I dry fit the barrel to the breech, align the front site as usual and then tighten down on the set screw(s) lightly. That will put a small mark on the barrel. Then disassemble and file a flat where each of the set screw impressions are a apparent. A 1/64" deep and 1/4" wide is plenty. Take your time eyeballing to make sure the flat is not going to twist the front site crooked when you retighten the set screws. Sloppy fitting barrels do not need this as the burr will have enough room to slide in and out. Here are a couple of pics. First one showing the dimple left by the set screw (lousy pic) and the second showing the flat filed with a jewelers triangle file.

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Tater

Quote from: 1377x on October 13, 2012, 04:22:08 AM
please take note of the title of this thread
there is a difference between crosmods breech and a croman steel breech.with a crosman steel breech you dont have to worry about the barrel getting stuck

Thanks for bringing this up, I was going to ask about that as I read through the thread.
Good tips to compensate for this everyone. Helpful thread airriflenut.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

airriflenut

1377x wrote:  how would you compare it to the stock crosman trigger? i would guess its like comparing apples and oranges

Yep Ed...apples to oranges!!!  It is sooooo smooth with a crisp let-off.  If you do get one and you hear the trigger "rattle" worry not my friend, I heard the same thing and thought, "great, a sloppy trigger!!"  Once you assemble it to a gun and cock the hammer/striker there is no rattle or slop.  When I tore mine down to blast it for the matte finish I planned on putting a .001" shim ring on the trigger pin to stop the rattle...the trigger wouldn't fit in the frame with that measly .001" shim!!  As I said, assembled on a gun and cocked there is NO rattle, uncocked you might hear a little rattle...nothing to get worked up over.

If you look at a picture of the Crosmods trigger assembly you will see a large black screw at the top of the trigger blade, this is a set screw with a what looks like stainless steel thin shaft on the back side with a small "disk" on it.  By screwing OUT the set screw you move the contact point forward reducing creep and trigger pull/travel (this is NOT a two-stage trigger), if you screw it in you increase creep and trigger pull/travel, this is not a tight fitting screw and I adjust mine with only my finger tips.  All it does is change the contact point of the sear.  There is a smaller set screw located in the frame above this large black set screw, it is only accessible from the top (gun has to be apart) and it will adjust sear engagement.  I played with mine for a bit but then backed it all the way off that trigger set screw...it was a scary light trigger pull, not safe in my opinion.  The trigger blade/shoe is a full 1/2" wide, with no safety be careful, it can catch and fire when  you are least expecting it!!!!

The sear is well made, clean sharp lines and smooth polish on the hammer contact points.  One reason the trigger is soooo sweet is that the sear return spring (which dictates trigger pull weight with these types of triggers) is thin gauge wire and rides in a smooth hole with a plastic plunger at the top.  No needs for any spring mods here unless you just want a heavier trigger pull.  I don't have the means to measure the actual trigger pull but with my permanently numb fingers it feels wonderful to me.  There is no trigger stop on the Crosmods assembly, if a person wanted one you could drill and tap a hole in the frame just behind the trigger blade and put a set screw in there for stop adjustment but let me forewarn you....you will need a long tap, there is a lot of aluminum back there!!

The only "mod" I did to the thing was to mount it in a drill press, line up the front trigger guard screw hole and drilled a small hole (sorry but I don't remember the size) in the bottom of the trigger guard  to make it easier to get the allen wrench on the screw.  It is a pain in the ass to keep having to take  your wrench on and off the screw to get it on or take it off.   It does NOT take any AR-style grip so  you will have to buy one of theirs or make  your own as I did.

Summary:  The Crosmods trigger assembly isn't cheap but it is worth the price paid.  Would I buy another for another build....YES!!!!  What would I change if I could....make it so AR grips fit it and put a safety on it.  It is an excellent well-made unit!!

I hope all this rambling was of some help Ed.  If  you have any other questions you can always PM me.
Sterling

1377x

it was plenty of help and well detailed.thanks
it is a necessary part for my POD PISTOL crosmanless crosman

airriflenut

Can you PM me any info on this POD PISTOL crosmanless Crosman??
Sterling

airriflenut

Kind of off-topic but I am detail oriented, always been that way.  As you may have noticed in a lot of my posts I like to get detailed at times.  Comes from my cop  8) days and writing narratives on arrest reports.  They taught us in the academy to keep the narratives as short as possible  :D, they said DA's hate long ones.  Most of mine were two pages long  ;D....I never had to go to trial on ANY of my cases due to details in my report and narrative!!  :-*  almost all defense attorneys made their clients take a plea deal.   :(
Sterling

Fronzdan

Had to do this with an RJ Machine Breech...those are also super tight tolerance.