• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Premiers

Started by bigstancwsw, September 15, 2012, 11:34:46 PM

bigstancwsw

I went to my local gun shop to get some more Crosman Premier 177 10.5 grns. I normally get the 1250 boxes a couple at a time but they had run out, so i got a tin of 500 Premier in 10.5 grain. My question to you learned folk is this. Are they the same as the ones i usually get in a cardbourd box. They weigh the same and they look the same but are they ?. I did notice there are fewer damaged pellets in the tin but they cost very slifgtly more per pellet. If any of you can shed some light i would be gratefull. Stan.
Launceston Cornwall UK.
AA S410 .177,  AA S400 .22, AA S400 Classic .177,   Original Mod 45 .22 1980,  HW97K B&C tuned .22,  Webley Eclipse .22,  ASI Paratrooper .177,  BSA Meteor .177,  HW40 pistol .177,  Barretta 92FS CO2 pistol .177,  Crosman 2240 pistol .22,  Crosman 1077 rifle .177,  Crosman 1377 .177.

1377x

iirc
the ones that come in the box are selected pellets
the tins are just put in there
closed mouths dont get fed

Fronzdan

Boxed ones are all from the same equipment and manufacturing lot.  The tins can be from any mix.  The idea being that ones in the box will be uniform shape/size/weight, making for better consistency in shooting. 

Many swear by the boxed version for better groups.  And for notoriously picky guns, like the .22 MRod, guys will find a group that works for them and only buy boxed from it.  I've used both tins (a lot cheaper) and boxed CP's in .22 and .177.  In my experience I've seen a difference, but not enough to justify the cost.  If you're competing...maybe it's worth it.  It really does depend on the gun though.

breakfastchef

The boxed Premiers are from the best pellet dies. When a die wears out past a certain point, Crosman continues to make pellets from those dies but packages them in the tins.
Larry

bigstancwsw

I did some comparison shots today. 30 of each pellet through an Air Arms S410 (i didnt clean the barrel between batches). The POI was the same and the measured power was within the same range. So for the hunting i use this gun for, there is no difference. Just out of interest i may do some long range testing tomorrow. Thanks for the answers guys. Stan.
Launceston Cornwall UK.
AA S410 .177,  AA S400 .22, AA S400 Classic .177,   Original Mod 45 .22 1980,  HW97K B&C tuned .22,  Webley Eclipse .22,  ASI Paratrooper .177,  BSA Meteor .177,  HW40 pistol .177,  Barretta 92FS CO2 pistol .177,  Crosman 2240 pistol .22,  Crosman 1077 rifle .177,  Crosman 1377 .177.

1377x

thats where you might see a difference

ttakata73

Hmmm, that's interesting and good news to know.
I would have thought the smaller tins would be the better ones since they cost more per round and have more expensive packaging.
No complaints, it's better for us to get better pellets the more you buy and cheaper they get.
Thanks for the question, and thanks for the answers.

styks

Quote from: ttakata73 on September 16, 2012, 08:35:42 PM
Hmmm, that's interesting and good news to know.
I would have thought the smaller tins would be the better ones since they cost more per round and have more expensive packaging.
No complaints, it's better for us to get better pellets the more you buy and cheaper they get.
Thanks for the question, and thanks for the answers.

Not here they don't, £7.99 for 500 tinned and £14 for 650 boxed prems from a single die.
For a hunting at short range the tins suit me fine, if I wanted them for competition 50m bench rest then I'd plum for the boxed.
Having said that, if the boxed group and tins don't (unlikely) then the choice even for hunting would be the boxed.

BernieMac

I think he's refering to the bulk boxes of 1250 pellets versus the tins of 500. I don't believe he means the match grade pellets in individual compartments in a box.

sbcrockett

Quote from: breakfastchef on September 16, 2012, 12:45:08 AM
The boxed Premiers are from the best pellet dies. When a die wears out past a certain point, Crosman continues to make pellets from those dies but packages them in the tins.

That's interesting, Larry, and peculiar. my experience and my buddy's too have been the opposite. my tin of premier hollowpoints have been A LOT more accurate and consistent than my friends cardboard box. but, he's shooting a 1322 and I've got a 1377.

still, interesting. I'll try to source a box of premiers next time I need to order...

1377x

if you dont know there is one lot number thats consistent and another to avoid when it comes to the boxed pellets
im not precision shooting dont really pay to much mind to what lot is good vs a bad lot
i use mostly jsb pellets.crosman pellets i use to season my barrels and for velocity tests the others cost to much to waste on fps testing
no matter the cost they have to be accuracy tested

breakfastchef

Quote from: sbcrockett on September 16, 2012, 11:55:00 PM
That's interesting, Larry, and peculiar. my experience and my buddy's too have been the opposite. my tin of premier hollowpoints have been A LOT more accurate and consistent than my friends cardboard box. but, he's shooting a 1322 and I've got a 1377.

still, interesting. I'll try to source a box of premiers next time I need to order...

I got that information about the differences between boxed and tin Premiers over on the Green forum. The guy who made that statement was touring the Crosman plant and asked the question. Just passing this along. Ultimately, if you do have a pellet picky gun, it will let you know when you found the right pellet.
Larry