• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Some 2240 mod questions - breech, barrel length, what scope/mount, etc.

Started by matty, October 03, 2012, 06:14:33 PM

matty

Hello!

I'm new here and bought a stock 2240 I want to mod and keep in pistol form.  In doing a ton of research, I found Mellon Air and it looks like I'll order most of the custom stuff through him.  A steel breech is on the way from Crosman.

At any rate, I have a few questions in relation to what I should order...

1. Scope - I'm looking at the Leapers Golden Image from Amazon.  It's my understanding I will need a 11mm to Weaver adapter for the breech - is this correct?  If so, I am looking at this one: 11mm to Weaver Mount.  Does this seem like a decent combination?  I don't want the sight to sit too high but it seems there aren't a lot of scopes that mount directly to the dovetail on the breech.  If there are, can you recommend some?  Also, does anybody have experience with the Leapers?  I'm also open to different suggestions.

2. Barrel - Thinking of 10" or 12" from Mr. Mellon but I don't want the gun to feel or look too front heavy.  Kind of leaning towards the 10" because I also plan on adding one of the nubbins at the end.  Does anybody have any experience with 10 vs 12 on the 2240?  I know it's vain but as I mentioned I want it to look balanced as well.

Sorry for the basic questions but I want to make sure I'm getting the right thing...I had ordered the Leapers earlier but cancelled because I didn't understand the need for the mounting bracket - I thought it just slid right on to the breech  :-[

Thanks!

Crosshairs

A ten inch barrel is just fine for what your looking for, i think the red dot you want has the duel mount im not sure but i think you can flip the mount to fit crosman breech. If not the BSA will and save you some loot.I have two of the BSA red dots and really like them.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/BSA_30mm_Red_Dot_Sight_3_8_and_Weaver_Mount/2944
                                                          Mike  8)

Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

matty

BDS

+1 to the BSA RD sights, I have 2 of e'm, they are good for the price and the mount flips over for 3/8" or Weaver.

On scopes, you don't have to use the Weaver rings supplied, especially on co2 or pumper guns (no recoil). Just get a cheap set of 3/8" dovetail .22 rifle rings from any sporting goods and remount on scope  :-*
Brian

JEBert

Matty,
I have one of those 11mm to Weaver adapters with a Leapers red dot sight and it works just fine for paper.  I had it mounted on a carbine and with the Crosman shoulder stock, I couldn't get a good cheek weld because the sight was too high.  Then I changed to a RAP4 (AR style) stock with a Mellon adapter and it was the perfect height.  As you are shooting it as a pistol instead of a carbine, it won't matter except that the sight will be a good ways from the barrel and that means that you have to judge your distances better if you are shooting it at different distances from where you sighted it in.  In other words, if you don't compensate for the different shooting distances, you error will be worse with the sight mounted that high as opposed to a lower sight mount.  Hope that makes sense to you.
I also have a BSA like in Crosshairs' link with the reversible mount and I like it a lot.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

matty

JEBert - That explanation was a big help.  In all the pictures I have seen, the additional converter mounts seem to place the sight very high and while some of my concern was aesthetics, your post helped confirm my suspicion about the negative of it being too high.

I went and ordered the BSA.

Next on the list is barrel and metal band from Mellon.

RC1947

The problem for a pistol with a Leapers is getting the proper eye relief.  If you decide upon a scope, check out some designed for pistols with around 10" of eye relief.  With CO2, you don't need one that's airgun rated.  In your case, the red dot might be the way to go.  RC

oops, posted same time.  Good luck

sparkycrew

hy mate i have an smk scope on with 1 inch diametre  low rise dovetail mounts that fit the 11m rail,pellet loading is easy and the scope is for pistols long eye relief so the pistol can be held well like a pistol should be, 2 x mag exellent for 10-20 meter shooting,you will have to watch the weight though mine is getting a little heavy with the shussy thing on the end

arkmaker †

Here is my a 2240 with a 10" barrel and a 2.5x NcStar Pistol Scope. They are pretty inexpensive. I had two of them until a few weeks ago. Another is on my list of have to haves. The make things real nice at 10 meters. I had a BSA RD42, but found it just a tad to large. I might try out one of the 30mm ones someday though. I did like the red dot. Also had a really cheap Daisy red dot for a while and believe it or not, that thing rocked for about 10 bucks. I had a real nicely defined small dot. You results may vary. After you try out a few things, you will learn what works best for you. Everyone likes something and it is not a one size fits all thing. BTW: Welcome to the forum.
Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

matty

^^Thanks arkmaker.  What grips do you have on there?

I just ordered a brake from TKO a few minutes ago.  :)

arkmaker †

Quote from: matty on October 04, 2012, 01:43:14 AM
^^Thanks arkmaker.  What grips do you have on there?

I just ordered a brake from TKO a few minutes ago.  :)

Those are RB Grips in walnut. I added the inlaid Crosman logo myself. You will like the TKO. Really tames the beast quite well.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

matty

0351_Vet

Quote from: Crosshairs on October 03, 2012, 06:29:03 PM
A ten inch barrel is just fine for what your looking for, i think the red dot you want has the duel mount im not sure but i think you can flip the mount to fit crosman breech. If not the BSA will and save you some loot.I have two of the BSA red dots and really like them.
http://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/BSA_30mm_Red_Dot_Sight_3_8_and_Weaver_Mount/2944
                                                          Mike  8)

Whats the eye relief on these BSA RD's? When used as a pistol configuration?
Marauder  .25 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot & Marauder P-Rod
Disco .22 / Leapers 3-12x44mm AO  Mil-Dot / Disco Sleeper Carbine
Katana .22 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot
2260 / CCS 2400KT / 2300KT / 1701 / 1377 / 1322 / EB22 / Benji 132 / Benji 422

<'((((><      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

BDS

About 3 inches from the rear lens to as far back as you can see the red dot!

It's 1x (no mag) so there is really no parallax.
Brian

matty

Quote from: BDS on October 04, 2012, 06:22:50 PM
About 3 inches from the rear lens to as far back as you can see the red dot!

It's 1x (no mag) so there is really no parallax.

Yep - that's what I found when researching the BSA after RC1947's post.  I had no idea what "eye relief" was.  Turns out the Leapers would not have been optimal.