• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

pellet traps

Started by ki0cn, October 08, 2012, 11:11:05 PM

ki0cn

Hi,
I'm Randy and new to the forum is there any plans on bulding a pellet trap with duct seal? I have  the duct seal just need plans for the box. I use 10 1/2 x12 targets.
Thanks Randy

Colt25

Make a box, put a potato chip bag clip at the top for targets. And fill the back with duct seal. Or you can get a DIY kit from archer airguns

arkmaker †

Maybe a little visual will help you. Size to your preference  :-*
This was made by a member here on the CAPOF if I am not mistaken.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

jdub

I made three.  All three have a groove in the front to slide a target into.  The smallest is sized to hold the stock Gamo targets, the middle is sized to hold an 8.5 x 11 sheet of cardstock or paper, and the largest is sized to hold a flattened frozen pizza box for backing, which also happens to be the same size as an NRA 10 meter Air Rifle target.  The sides of all three are standard pine 1x4 so an actual 3.5" wide.

ki0cn

Colt45,
I went to the shop to find some lumber to make a box, and found an old Armor All detailing box stuffed it with duct seal and added a chip clip. I tryed to post a pic but it says image size to large even with my camera lowest resolution, how do I downsize the images?
Thanks Randy

ki0cn

Jdub,
Those traps look great I'll update mine in the future as the detail box is a little lightweight for the weight of the duct seal. Thanks for the pictures.
Randy

matty

jdub - those look great.  Are you using duct seal with them?

jdub

Quote from: matty on October 09, 2012, 01:05:57 AM
jdub - those look great.  Are you using duct seal with them?
Yes, all three use duct seal. 

matty

Thanks and sorry, forgot to ask what thickness are you using and are you shooting .22 pellets?

ki0cn

Hi,
Still trying to post a pic.
Randy

breakfastchef

Quote from: ki0cn on October 09, 2012, 01:46:54 AM
Hi,
Still trying to post a pic.
Randy

That is a terrific first trap, Randy. A popular casing are those steel eletrical fuse panel boxes. They can hold a fair bit of duct seal and have a built in safety backstop.
Larry

jdub

Quote from: matty on October 09, 2012, 01:18:53 AM
Thanks and sorry, forgot to ask what thickness are you using and are you shooting .22 pellets?
I didn't measure how thick the duct seal is but it's right around the thickness of the bars they come in.  I had pressed them all in place, leaving the packaging on them, and then decided afterward to put a piece of metal roofers flashing on the back of the inside of the trap just in case, so I pulled all the duct seal out--destroying the packaging, put the flashing in, and then just pressed the duct seal in evenly again.   It's probably somewhere between 3/4" and 1" thick.

I shoot a couple .22 air guns at these traps.  The most powerful would be a Benjamin 392 that chronies at 650 FPS with 14.3 gr CPHPs when pumped 8 times.  That works out to over 13 FPE.  The traps handle it fine.  I don't have any magnum powered airguns so I don't know how thick you'd need for something more powerful.

The only thing you have to be careful of is not shooting the frame of the trap since the paper has to slide in the groove.  I nailed one with my 2240 when a cartridge was slow and my POI dropped about 3".  I just had to clean the groove up a bit.  Here's a top view.  The two thicker grooves in the wood don't serve any purpose.  I had cut the wood for use as a fly tying vise base and had leftover for the traps:

Colt25

Quote from: ki0cn on October 09, 2012, 12:50:51 AM
Colt45,
I went to the shop to find some lumber to make a box, and found an old Armor All detailing box stuffed it with duct seal and added a chip clip. I tryed to post a pic but it says image size to large even with my camera lowest resolution, how do I downsize the images?
Thanks Randy

Open it in paint and resize the image. There are also websites that can do it for you.

1377x

closed mouths dont get fed

Davio

Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177