• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Building a Silent pellet trap from Stuff Found at Home Depot

Started by markasaurus, October 10, 2012, 02:09:58 AM

markasaurus

I got a  planter box from home depot for $20, because it was just the right size and i don't have a shop to build the box.  It measures 15" X 14" about 14" deep.  I don't know what type of wood it is, possibly redwood. 
I stained it with Danish oil from Lowe's that I had lying around, here it is drying in the bathroom (my girlfriend says it stinks so it's spending the night there - usually she is pretty good with my shooting hobby, or at least as good as most girlf friends or wives are going to be.)

And about 8 containers of Oatey's plumber's putty for $2 each to trap the pellets.  I should have got about 4 more.

Not fresh cookie dough - putty; I used an aluminum painter's tray, the standard size.  I cut to size to fit in the back of planters box.   I just made a cut on the side, about 2" from the top and folded that part over.  If you wanted to get fancy you could cut it in such a way to make a solid tray, using gorilla glue or even rivets. 

The putty says "non hardening", which is what you want for a pellet trap, but we will see.  I only put down about an inch of putty, may need to add more.  Will try to post more pictures of the finished project when it's all done.   
Now i need to add aclip to hold the targets...and hope it stands up to a P-rod.  I figure that amount of putty is more then enough for my 1322 at the 4 to 7 pumps i generally shoot it indoors.  But I will put wood behind it for reinforcement til i see how far the P-rod penetrates...it went most of the way into a thick book yesterday.   

Fronzdan

Looks good!  Duct seal is better than plumbers putty because its denser. But with the pan and wood behind that you should be good. But don't shoot your p-rod at that cuz it could go through.

Motorhead

Bricks of DUCT SEAL stacked into box a FAR SUPERIOR and denser material in stopping pellets !
2 M-Rods .22 & .177 Reg
Air Arms TX200 MkIII .177
RWS / Diana-75 HV TO-1  .177 
Diana 100 SSP .177
FWB-124D .177 
HW 35  .177
RAW TM-1000 .177 .20 .22
WAR WarP .177 .25
Taipan Mutant .22
Sheridan Blue streak .20
BSA Scorpion .177 Reg
BAM 50 Custom .25 Reg
Hatsan AT44 .22 Reg
Shoebox / Alpha 90 4.5K & CF tanks

breakfastchef

You are a very handy airgunner. Nice that you found some useful parts at Home Depot.

As a note of information, what most people use is Duct Seal, not Plumber's Putty. The putty is too soft to be very effective in a pellet trap. You would probably need to build up the Plumber's Putty to 4"-5" thick to make it work better.

A filler I like to use is rubber mulch. A bag at Home Depot probably runs <$8 and would fill the planter box, and easily stop pellets entering at +30 fpe.
Larry

markasaurus

Thanks larry...I think you are right.  I am going to see what i can do with that rubber mulch ...or the duct seal...the plumbers putty is TOO SOFT.

0351_Vet

Quote from: Motorhead on October 10, 2012, 02:26:33 AM

Bricks of DUCT SEAL stacked into box a FAR SUPERIOR and denser material in stopping pellets !

x2  :-*
Marauder  .25 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot & Marauder P-Rod
Disco .22 / Leapers 3-12x44mm AO  Mil-Dot / Disco Sleeper Carbine
Katana .22 / CP 4-16x56mm AO Mil-Dot
2260 / CCS 2400KT / 2300KT / 1701 / 1377 / 1322 / EB22 / Benji 132 / Benji 422

<'((((><      ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

breakfastchef

Quote from: markasaurus on October 10, 2012, 05:32:56 AM
Thanks larry...I think you are right.  I am going to see what i can do with that rubber mulch ...or the duct seal...the plumbers putty is TOO SOFT.

http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,4484.0.html

Includes photos of one of the traps I built.  use cardboard to retain the mulch and replace it gets ragged.
Larry