• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

LPA arrived - Pity about the fit !

Started by droid, October 12, 2012, 09:27:19 AM

droid

Well after a lot of money, paying well over the odds for a LPA MIM I was all excited and eager to fit to my 2540.

What a shocking sloppy fit. I then compared all my breeches 3 crosman and a couple of aftermarket ones, what a difference in dovetails, no two are remotely the same.

In the end only one breech, an aftermarket stainless one from GMAC would accept the LPA without any slop or gaps.

I am not blaming LPA for this but am very surprised in the difference between breeches.

Rant over  ;)

Gary
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

1377x

you know jb weld or some kind of epoxy could be used to fill in the gap.a release agagent in the dovetail or on the sight would insure it could it could be used without slop
closed mouths dont get fed

droid

Thanks Ed, I will try that when they ever become available again.

Just can't believe the variation from one breech to another, I assumed before it was just the LPAs that were poorly made.

Gary
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

Davio

Ed, you're spot on for solving a problem, but... breech dovetails should be standardized to usable tolerances AND the MIMs should be more durable for what they cost.  We shouldn't have to jbweld or epoxy a new sight that is supposed to fit.

Mine fits "okay" but it did strip on one of the tiny front grubs during the initial installation... and I swear I didn't even get it to tighten at all.  What a little PIG! 

Of course, I hate how huge the sight picture is on it anyway, so it is just for looks on a permanently scoped gun. Useless past 7-8 meters IMO. 

Ok.  Rant over.   ;)
Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver. Gravy is brown.

2400KT bulk fed repeater .22
2260 .22 w/ steel breech
2250XE .22
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Marauder .25
Crosman 1077 WOOD .177
Crosman 1077 BLACK .177
Benjamin NP Trail .177
Crosman 2240 Camo .22
Crosman 2240 polished .22
Crosman 2300KT .22
Dan Wesson 8" .177
Crosman Vigilante .177
Hatsan A44PA .25
Hatsan A44W .25
Sheridan 2260
Benjamin Trail NP XL .25
Benjamin Titan NP .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol .22
Benjamin 392 .22
Sheridan C9 PB 50th Anniversary .20
Crosman 1701-P .177

1377x

i hear you on that!
so is it a sight issue or a crosman issue from what i hear crosman has some very tight tolerances when it comes to the qc dept and they dont let anything get by them especially barrels, with no rifling in them. or like the p-rod grip frame quickster didnt have to modify to fit his 1377 but 90+% of the other grip-frame owners had to modify either the sear or tube for it to work properly in their 1377's.
bottom line
which is out of spec the sight? or the breech?

droid

Quote from: 1377x on October 12, 2012, 10:57:15 AM
i hear you on that!
so is it a sight issue or a crosman issue from what i hear crosman has some very tight tolerances when it comes to the qc dept and they dont let anything get by them especially barrels, with no rifling in them. or like the p-rod grip frame quickster didnt have to modify to fit his 1377 but 90+% of the other grip-frame owners had to modify either the sear or tube for it to work properly in their 1377's.
bottom line
which is out of spec the sight? or the breech?

I would say the breech, as all mine are different, even the crosmans are different.

Gary
www.ratbuster.co.uk

1377x

is the stainless steel breech made by don cothran? or someone else?

droid

Not sure, it was a GMAC part so not sure if Gordon made it or brought it in from DC.

Gary
www.ratbuster.co.uk

1377x

ok! for some od reason im thinking he is selling dc parts im almost positive i read that a long time ago buti might be confusing that with the pacific pellet guns drop sear

fivestar45

Was the LPA mim sight you bought an OEM Crosman item?
The reason I ask is the LPA's Crosman sells are a contract item that use a very odball
74deg dove tail.  Irregardless, if you intend to make it work I'd tell you to make the epoxy the last resort. Usually a fairly suitable fit can be had by "Peening" the dovetail and doing just a little bit of file fitting. That's the way it was always done by gunsmiths long before epoxy was invented.

Motorhead

Bummer on the fit issue ...  :(
2 M-Rods .22 & .177 Reg
Air Arms TX200 MkIII .177
RWS / Diana-75 HV TO-1  .177 
Diana 100 SSP .177
FWB-124D .177 
HW 35  .177
RAW TM-1000 .177 .20 .22
WAR WarP .177 .25
Taipan Mutant .22
Sheridan Blue streak .20
BSA Scorpion .177 Reg
BAM 50 Custom .25 Reg
Hatsan AT44 .22 Reg
Shoebox / Alpha 90 4.5K & CF tanks

arkmaker †

Quote from: fivestar45 on October 13, 2012, 10:54:30 PM
Was the LPA mim sight you bought an OEM Crosman item?
The reason I ask is the LPA's Crosman sells are a contract item that use a very odball
74deg dove tail.  Irregardless, if you intend to make it work I'd tell you to make the epoxy the last resort. Usually a fairly suitable fit can be had by "Peening" the dovetail and doing just a little bit of file fitting. That's the way it was always done by gunsmiths long before epoxy was invented.

X2
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

1377x

how does one go about peening? a few different examples would help,like where to peen the dovetail.being born in the era of epoxy/jbweld and shoe polish/pam cooking spray.never really took the time to explore other options
i tried it on a project im working on and it didnt work the same way the gunsmith does it.

droid

I think what has surprised me is that from what I read it was the LPA sight that was of questionable dimensions. But in my case it is the breeches that all vary.
Luckily I have a few different breeches to try.

Gary
www.ratbuster.co.uk

markasaurus

I wanted the LPA sight for my modded 1322 but when i needed new irons they weren't available.  I wound up getting the crosman Williams sight from amazon, cost about the same (arm + leg) and is not nearly as slick but the precision of the adjustment is better then the gun can use.  Also you can't adjust it for very short distances.  If you shoot at distance greater then 15 feet though this sight might work better for you...i know the temptation is to mod the sight but if i had this problem I'd just return it, i have tried modding stuff and now often then not i wind up spending more for an unsatisfactory result. 

Example, i tried modding the stock 1322 trigger for weeks, polished and greased, fooled with springs and spacers etc and then started looking at triggers and realized i was better going straight to the p-rod trigger mod.  The whole assembly was only $44 which is less then a custom trigger.  Just an example and hope its not totally irrelevant