• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Shot Grouping Question

Started by matty, October 20, 2012, 07:38:17 PM

matty

I'm still new to getting back in to air guns and was wondering what is an acceptable shot grouping.

While dialing in a new 2240 last week I was pretty happy with the results I got at 10 meters but a friend is suggesting that the groups should be all one hole.

Here's an example of what I'm referring to:

This was at 10 meters with a 2240 in pistol form (no long stock) and hand held - meaning not bench rested.  Is this what is expected or should there be tighter grouping at that distance?

Any critique or suggestions are welcome :)

Sir William

Well, you're doing OK, maybe even good.  I suspect you will get a bit better with time.  The one hole groups are for the Olympic kids with the funny looking European pistols.  Or the bench rest kids.

Motorhead

Trouble with PISTOLS and Sucky triggers  :o is as your finger pressure increases against trigger, your entire hand tenses up !!
Trigger sear finally breaks loose and your hand twitchs from the muscle tension  :(

So ... What ya need to do is FIRST off shoot the gun off a firm surface ( Shooting bag is best ) and without the gun moving from hand pressure see how it prints on paper.
IF pattern is just as random ? ... Ya know guns at fault and we can address that easy enough.
If groups tighten up off a bag, ya know now trigger work required or more practice getting off the shot with your grip more relaxed.

JMO ...
2 M-Rods .22 & .177 Reg
Air Arms TX200 MkIII .177
RWS / Diana-75 HV TO-1  .177 
Diana 100 SSP .177
FWB-124D .177 
HW 35  .177
RAW TM-1000 .177 .20 .22
WAR WarP .177 .25
Taipan Mutant .22
Sheridan Blue streak .20
BSA Scorpion .177 Reg
BAM 50 Custom .25 Reg
Hatsan AT44 .22 Reg
Shoebox / Alpha 90 4.5K & CF tanks

1377x

Quote from: Motorhead on October 20, 2012, 08:58:59 PM
Trouble with PISTOLS and Sucky triggers  :o is as your finger pressure increases against trigger, your entire hand tenses up !!
Trigger sear finally breaks loose and your hand twitchs from the muscle tension  :(

So ... What ya need to do is FIRST off shoot the gun off a firm surface ( Shooting bag is best ) and without the gun moving from hand pressure see how it prints on paper.
IF pattern is just as random ? ... Ya know guns at fault and we can address that easy enough.
If groups tighten up off a bag, ya know now trigger work required or more practice getting off the shot with your grip more relaxed.

JMO ...
closed mouths dont get fed

sbcrockett

I'll chime in something I learned on a thread here. Don't wrap your thumb and squeeze with it when you take your shot. That would promote the tenseness in your hand that Motorhead is referring to. Instead try to keep the thumb tip loose and away from the grip, trying to isolate the squeeze of the trigger finger.

Helped me with my off the bench shots.

matty

Thanks for the input.  I never thought of starting with a stable surface to determine how it shoots first but I'm going to give that a try.

Does it matter whether it's 5 or 10 meters?

T191032

Hi, I think it's a pretty good group myself.

We have a thread here - http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,654.0.html that might help you a bit.  You can download the Army Marksmanship Manual in PDF format, plus there are other links available.  True, it would  be good having your shots all in one hole, but that comes with time and more experience with shooting in the "Bullseye" stance (one-handed) with your pistol. 

I noticed the tearing in your targets.  You might try a couple of things, heavier paper and putting a backer of cardboard behind it.  Personally, I think the .22 pellets "tear" the paper a bit more than .177 wadcutters do.  You did not mention the pellets used, I note; flat-nosed wadcutters are the paper-punching machines for cleaner-hole target work.

You can start at 5 or 10 Meters.  Keep track of your targets and number them, note improvements in your shooting, both off the bench as you learn (re-learn) the art of shooting the air pistol off-hand unsupported.  You might also stick to a pre-determined number of shots per target, maybe 10 to count the target (score it) a little easier.
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

1377x

i like to use a small target for practice really helps me focus on tighter groups
closed mouths dont get fed

matty

Thanks again this is really good input.  I am going to check that thread out and download the target.

As far as pellets, I'm using the basic hollow point Crosman ones I bought at Wal Mart.

Forgot to mention I had ordered a trigger shoe and it arrived today.  I can tell it's going to be a big help with the added surface space.  I just need to track down a 1mm allen wrench to mount it.

T191032

Yes, trigger shoes will spoil you.  Got several different colors and named the Pistols/carbines accordingly.  LOL
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

matty

Well I got a chance to install the trigger shoe and take some time at 5 meters in the garage tonight.

I'm slowly better understanding the whole "grouping" thing.

After settling in, I had these results with 10 shots...

targettgii

That's a nice group kind of strung out but all one hole. :-* :-* :-*
Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322
1750 HPA pistol
Stock 2260(for now)
.22 Gen.2 Marauder
CCS 2300
Custom 1740
38 T

tinker

Looking good!  Practice is the only way to get better.
(Tinker)
If it's not broken then modify it!

breakfastchef

Benchrest that pistol and establish how accurate it really can shoot.

Lots of good suggestions to consider in this thread.
Larry

matty

I kind of bench rested it to start off but I was only resting my hand on the bike repair stand.  It's the only thing I have. Lol.

Anyway, it's feeling and shooting great.  I finished up the last round by experimenting with trigger pull technique.  I have a couple more pictures I will post of the last round.

Thanks again for all the advice.  It's been a lot of help!