• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

What work did you just do?

Started by Fronzdan, October 27, 2012, 04:25:40 PM

ped

cheers brian i was thinking off possibly modding an end cap
ped
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

eric

this was shooting 4 decent shots and 1 flyer regardless to the pellets with the factory crown at 10 to 20 yards . it seems to be better but i can't really say for certain until it warms up some. used a battery powered drill so the chatter marks are still pretty visible right now .after cleaning it and a reblue ,they might not be visible. will try a power drill on another barrel and see how that goes 
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

HappyHunter

That's a cool looking crowning bit (?), Eric. Never seen one of those before... ???

Where did you find it? Something like that would be perfect for a guy with no lathe like me!

Todd
Todd

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things!

eric

Quote from: HappyHunter on March 20, 2013, 12:18:20 AM
That's a cool looking crowning bit (?), Eric. Never seen one of those before... ???

Where did you find it? Something like that would be perfect for a guy with no lathe like me!

Todd
got it from brownells ,its the 1/2" 11 degree facer/crowning tool.  if you look closely at the this picture you can see a slight ring around the the chatter marks --- it bore into the barrel and left a little material along the edge as the barrel was to big. it's fine for the 7/16" barrels --- i should have went with the 3/4" tool but a file fixed that  :P :-[ :)      http://www.brownells.com/items/barrel-crowning-tool.aspx

arkmaker †

You have to turn that chamfer tool as slow as your drill can go and use a couple of drops of oil. Even turn it by hand if possible. The chatter comes from to high of rpm's for that size and angle tool. Also, it might help to re-flatten the face and start fresh. Once you get out towards the OD of the barrel, stop and pull back easy. If it starts to rotate and not cut can cause chatter as well.

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

eric

the drill had a hi/lo setting and on both it still produced the chatter marks with cutting oil --- i used cutting oil(lots) and cleaned the tool frequently and still the same results. i have a few more barrels to play with so ....

arkmaker †

Try more pressure then (carefully) and STOP and reverse as soon as you get close to the OD.

Also, does the chatter start after you get out a ways? May just need to make a shallower chamfer. It won't look as good, but you really just need to get past the rifling anyways.

Sorry, maybe too much help. It's just when I see things like that I just want to fly to Vermont and try it myself. Can't help it. Compulsive anal disorder. Can't be cured, Sorry.  ;)
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

eric

things to ponder,thanks --- right now it shoots better at 5 yards than it did before but still can't say that is much better ---- waiting for so 160 parts to come in ,then i can try some other things

breakfastchef

I think the crown looks like a pretty flower. That makes the barrel unique.
Larry

eric

Quote from: breakfastchef on March 20, 2013, 01:41:04 AM
I think the crown looks like a pretty flower. That makes the barrel unique.
kinda what i was thinking too

ped

they do look different giving an almost jewelled effect
ped
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

1377x

I like the way the crown looks. it looks like it should be that way
closed mouths dont get fed

Tater

I like it that way too. When I first saw the pic, I thought it was done on purpose and that I really liked it.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

1377x

have you seen the crowns that say smile?
you can get them to say anything on any gun they will fit on
I was going to order a barrel for my glock that says smile on it
closed mouths dont get fed

eric

i like the way it looks and will keep it like this until warmer weather comes around then i'lll be able to see if its a problem or not  ???