• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Mellon solid pin

Started by cohiba, November 06, 2012, 06:37:50 PM

cohiba

Well after about 7 weeks of waiting my package arrived! I was very excited to get it, these were my first power mod parts and from a very reputable machinist. It was missing the FT piston and valve i ordered, i sent him an email to find out about these missing parts, im sure all will be taken care of.

My questions is this. How do i install the solid pin? It has a washer, and a small ring thats around the pin. I choose to go with the clips as well. Were does the washer and ring go in this set up?

breakfastchef

As I recall, the ring/sleeve goes over the pin itself just like the photo on the Mellonair website. the washer goes inbetween the metal tangs of the pump arm between the holes the pin will slide through. You will probably have to slightly enlarge the holes in the tube to 3/16".
Larry

JEBert

Correct, the tube needs to be reamed or carefully drilled to 3/16" to use the solid pin.  If I remember correctly, the pump arm holes need to be opened up to 7/32" for the sleeve to be used.  I didn't use either the sleeve or the ring and mine works fine.  Don't forget to de-burr everything.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

1377x

you know mellon must have loose tolerances on his pins. none of my tubes needed reaming not even the brand new never used tubes.the pins slid right in no problems
closed mouths dont get fed

josey88

Quote from: 1377x on November 07, 2012, 05:14:49 PM
you know mellon must have loose tolerances on his pins. none of my tubes needed reaming not even the brand new never used tubes.the pins slid right in no problems

Well , that tells me not to do anything to the tube or to the pump arm holes until the pin kit arrives . When I check tolerances with the pin on hand , if I need to enlarge I will go for the 3/16" or 7/32" or both , as for the instructions and for the one I need . 
That was a very good observation

1377x

good call!
i dont use the little thing that goes around pin.i use the big ring and the pin.didnt want to make the pivot pin hole any.larger in my pump lever
i know the little ring thing doesnt fit,but the actual pin itself went through my tubes with no issues and i had a brand new never used tube a few of them actually fitted with mellon air pins and none of them needed and reaming
my phase 2 the holes stretched out on it and i got a mellon pin it took care of the slop i got from the stretched holes
if i ever get a chance of need im going to do these tube mods here to the tube to take care of the stretched pivot pin hole
http://www.network54.com/Forum/275684/message/1226290086/my+2289%27s+official+introduction+%28lotsa+pics%29

1377x

same instructions as they alawys have been
i guess it must be the crosman tube with the loose tolerences

oleman

Going to order a Mellon solid pin for my brand new 2289 Backer plus some other goodies. The pin comes with either "c" clips, black nuts ( which I am guessing are flat) or acorn nuts. Looks like the "c" clips could be hard to get on and off without scratching the tube in the process. Question - which one do you use and/or which one do you think looks the best.    :-\ 
A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be give a square deal afterwards.  Teddy Roosevelt

1377x

i use the brass acorns but think the black look better
i also like the looks of the o-ring style.thats seems to be the easiest to work with