• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Barrel issue?

Started by Tater, November 13, 2012, 01:45:08 AM

Tater

I received a 12" .177 barrel today and noticed a chip/scratch on it. It came in a long plastic bag but was only half  covered with, it was half way out. I looked close at the end of the barrel and it didn't look like any crown I've seen in pics posted hereand elsewhere.
There's is also a scratch across the face of it and there is also some kind of chip. The chip is on the right (about 2:00) and the scratch is across the top.
I'm a rookie at this, but I don't really see a crown. I could definitely be wrong about that, but hopefully it can be seen in the pics.  ???

I took about 12 pictures to get these two that came out in focus. I couldn't get any closer, the camera is pretty old. Thoughts?

Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

targettgii

In my opinion the scratch is ugly but doesn't go across the bore and if the chip is that light spot top right I don't think that would be an issue either but I could be wrong. ??? ???And I have to agree with you doesn't look like much of a crown could be wrong about that also.
Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322
1750 HPA pistol
Stock 2260(for now)
.22 Gen.2 Marauder
CCS 2300
Custom 1740
38 T

tinker

Looks like a mark left over from cutting the barrel that wasn't polished out.  The bad is that there isn't any crown.  There are simple instructions on how to DYI here on the forum.  Sorry I don't have any links handy for you.  Hate sending to to the search engine.

Glen
(Tinker)
If it's not broken then modify it!

Tater

No problem about links.
It was supposed to be crowned already and I'm not comfortable attempting that at all.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

breakfastchef

If the scratch and/or chip is related to shipping, you are pretty much out of luck unless you requested insurance.

Crowns are a much debated thing. As I understand the whole concept, a crown does not have to be angled (i.e. 11 degrees, 45 degrees) or recessed to be effective, only that the rifling grooves and lands evenly break at the muzzle end. Target, recessed and other crowns we all know and love are done to protect that important edge at the end of the muzzle from bumps and scrapes. In any event, I would definitely contact the seller and work it out.
Larry

Tater

I can live with the cosmetic stuff, but the lack of crown is not good.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

fast14riot

A crown is simply to protect the end of the bore and rifling.  Take a roundhead brass woodscrew and chuck it up in your cordless drill, get some automotive valve lapping compound and smear it on the screw.  Put it to the muzzle and let her rip for 20-30 seconds and check.  Shoot and see.  Simple way to deburr a crown (or lack therof).

-Xander

1377x

there is a crown on the barrel
its not a deep crown like the others do try shooting it before you get to messing with it.
breakastchef said there are different crowns
my oogie boogie and 1377 have the same type of crown as your barrel and i know the oogie boogie is a very accurate gun
closed mouths dont get fed

Gippeto

My .02

Don't touch the crown. The scratch and chip do not come in contact with the actual crown and will have no effect other than being ugly.

Push some pellets through the barrel. If they hang up at the muzzle THEN redo the crown.

Push a couple pellets through muzzle to breech end too...if the bore gets tighter at the breech end, that barrel will be a dog no matter what you do.

A crown doesn't need to be ( and IMO...shouldn't be) deeply cut.

Cosmetically...the end of the barrel could certainly look better.

Al

Tater

I'll try that Ed. I either have to sand down the barrel band or wait for the 760 band. I guess I'll try sanding it down tomorrow, but I hate to mess it up in case I need it in the future.

Edit: I will try pushing a pellet through tomorrow Gippeto. I have a wooden dowel for just that.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

breakfastchef

Good information, Al. I always read your posts. Thanks.

Quote from: Gippeto on November 13, 2012, 05:11:06 AM
My .02

Don't touch the crown. The scratch and chip do not come in contact with the actual crown and will have no effect other than being ugly.

Push some pellets through the barrel. If they hang up at the muzzle THEN redo the crown.

Push a couple pellets through muzzle to breech end too...if the bore gets tighter at the breech end, that barrel will be a dog no matter what you do.

A crown doesn't need to be ( and IMO...shouldn't be) deeply cut.

Cosmetically...the end of the barrel could certainly look better.

Al
Larry