• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

straight or bent wire stock ?

Started by josey88, November 16, 2012, 07:07:23 PM

josey88

I am not sure which one to get for the 1377 . What are the pros and cons  of both ? I thought I liked the bent type but now I am not so sure . What do you guys , think ?  I have to decide before ordering , so any advice is appreciated

1377x

i would like to know the same thing
there are a few members who have both
hopefully one of them chimes in
i think the bent would be better because it would place the gun higher and work as a cheek rest
closed mouths dont get fed

Fronzdan

I don't have a wire stock, but I have a Tippmann straight stock, ar-15 Magpul clone on a 1377.  Are you planning on using a scope?  A bent stock will give you better, more natural head alignment with medium or high rings.  A straight stock puts your head much higher and requires a riser and high rings to be comfortable.  Either that or you have to bend your head in an awkward position or put the butt high on your shoulder.  Having the scope so high can sometimes get you into adjustability problems and makes the gun a little top heavy and tall.

Go for the bent.

josey88

Quote from: Fronzdan on November 16, 2012, 08:02:51 PM
I don't have a wire stock, but I have a Tippmann straight stock, ar-15 Magpul clone on a 1377.  Are you planning on using a scope?  A bent stock will give you better, more natural head alignment with medium or high rings.  A straight stock puts your head much higher and requires a riser and high rings to be comfortable.  Either that or you have to bend your head in an awkward position or put the butt high on your shoulder.  Having the scope so high can sometimes get you into adjustability problems and makes the gun a little top heavy and tall.

Go for the bent.
You think  ? I was assuming exactly the opposite ... I was thinking that the straight stock would get me a lower position and the bent stock would give me no aligment or support at all , since it would be so low ...
I would be using a scope with medium(14mm) rings or maybe the high rings (21mm) depending in how close I can acomodate  the scope to the barrel . I like the scopes to be very close to the barrel as possible . 

josey88

I have no experience at all on this thing so I if you think that the bent is the one , I will get the bent wire stock .

josey88

Quote from: 1377x on November 16, 2012, 07:59:49 PM
i would like to know the same thing
there are a few members who have both
hopefully one of them chimes in
i think the bent would be better because it would place the gun higher and work as a cheek rest

Ed , how do you figure that the bent stock will give cheek support ?

breakfastchef

I purchased a bent wire stock from workinmanva a few months ago. I was concerned about getting a decent cheeck weld, too. Sean steered me to the bent stock as the preferred choice. He was right. So I say get a bent stock.
Larry

1377x

Quote from: josey88 on November 16, 2012, 08:22:19 PM
Ed , how do you figure that the bent stock will give cheek support ?
ok only the shoulder support is lower by lowering the suopport it raises the rest right.your sight will sit higher so either just a pad so your face isnt setting on metal would be needed  with the bent stock
with the straight stock wont you have to bend your neck down to see sights or raise your sights for proper eye alignment ???
|
closed mouths dont get fed

Fronzdan

Yep scope as low as possible is best.  The problem with a straight stock is where you put the butt on your shoulder, your cheek and essentially your eye are all on the same line.  It's not comfortable trying to line all that up, especially with a scope, where you have to have your eye in a very limited field of view.

If the stock is bent as Ed drew, that's perfect.  If its bent closer to the gun, then yes, where you rest your face would be lower...like in the chin area.  But that's still better than trying to keep the butt in your shoulder and your eye looking through the scope.

josey88

Very well, guys , the bent it is . I am ordering it now ... many thanks for the help

Crosshairs

I have both and like each about the same pretty much the same feel but my bent one is a bit longer.
                          Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

josey88

Done... Ordered the bent type from workingman . Any idea of how long  waiting time would be ?

josey88

Quote from: Crosshairs on November 16, 2012, 09:21:40 PM
I have both and like each about the same pretty much the same feel but my bent one is a bit longer.
                          Mike

Mike : I want to thank you directly ... your youtube video of disassembling a 1377 was crucial for me to start modding my 1377 . Specifically, the part of the safety ball and spring where you tell how NOT to do it ... it probably saved me from going down on my knees all over the house looking for the damn ball . Newbies like me depend pretty much on experienced guys as yourself and Ed .

Crosshairs

Quote from: josey88 on November 16, 2012, 09:36:42 PM
Mike : I want to thank you directly ... your youtube video of disassembling a 1377 was crucial for me to start modding my 1377 . Specifically, the part of the safety ball and spring where you tell how NOT to do it ... it probably saved me from going down on my knees all over the house looking for the damn ball . Newbies like me depend pretty much on experienced guys as yourself and Ed .
Thanks for the kind words Cool !  glad to help
                                Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

eric

Quote from: josey88 on November 16, 2012, 09:30:47 PM
Done... Ordered the bent type from workingman . Any idea of how long  waiting time would be ?
took less than 2 weeks from when i sent a payment to get my adjustable wirestock --- that is between making it and shipping it
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses