• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

BSA 30mm Red Dot Sight

Started by bugsandbones, December 12, 2012, 05:43:58 AM

bugsandbones

Good Evening Everybody,
I just got my steel breech and .22 cal barrel and I converted my 1377 to .22. I also bought the RD30 BSA red dot and have some questions about it.
I see after looking through it that the dot moves with the slightest change in angle or position. I hear this is due to parallax and it says it will do it in the manual.
So my question is : How the heck are you supposed to shoot with any amount of accuracy if the dot is moving every which way!
How does every one else use it? The only way I could think of is holding gun/body in exact same position every time you shoot. I think that is impossible, especially with a heavy pistol so what do you guys suggest?
Thanks,
Greg
Greg's Bugs and Bones Taxidermy
www.gregsbugsandbones.com

1377x

what i do is move the gun around until the dot is at its brightest and use that as my aim point and sight in point
if the dot isnt bright or gets brighter then i am not at my sight in point
works like a charm for me
closed mouths dont get fed

JEBert

Try to hold the dot in the center of the sight when you are aiming.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

breakfastchef

Like any sighting device, you have to figure out what works best for you. JEBert's suggestion is about spot on. You judge when you think the dot is in the center and zero in your pistol at that point. Repeatability of the same position will provide very good accuracy. Sometimes I wish the manufacturers would put a wire crosshair on the rear glass so lining up the dot consistantly in the same position would be much simpler. Maybe I will pluck a few from the wife's head as she sleeps and see if I can rig that up. Even easier might be to put a small dot on the glass. I am going to try that tomorrow.
Larry

Crosshairs

What they said also try to get the dot as round as you can this way it will be used in the same spot all the time. I have two of them and really like them a lot there great for hunting tree rats and birds.
                          Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

BigErn

Quote from: JEBert on December 12, 2012, 06:06:03 AM
Try to hold the dot in the center of the sight when you are aiming.
Cheers,

X2. Once you get used to it you will love it I promise.

1377x

your center might not be center and trying to find it might be frustrating
that why i go by how bright the do is if its not as bright as it was when i sighted it in then im not on target
with all my red dots when the dot is at its bightest it appears to be the center
off center not as bright
you will see as you experiment with it

bugsandbones

Thanks everyone for your help.
I finally got out and shot it a little bit today. I took breakfastchef's advice and put a small dot with a dry erase marker on the front glass.
It was a great idea and it made sure I was aligning the dot in the same place every time.
I was getting 1 inch groups at 15 yards which I think is pretty good compared to the 3+ inch groups I was getting with the iron sights prior to modifying!

1377x

nice job!! :-*
i have a millet sp1 red dot parallax error if virtually none existent
same with my tasco pcp3
that parallax error thing i most noticible with the rd30 red dots manufacturer doesnt matter rd30 is usually the same with the majority if not all
the thing to remember about all the red dots they are not for precision shooting more for quick acquisition shooting, shooting both eyes open
at 25 yards the dot will most likely cover the whole bull
with the tascopdp3 and millet sp1(allegedly 3moa) at the lower setting outside the dot is like a pinpoint.easy to see and on point
you might want to look into one of those red dots or if you want to spend some extra funds there are some top of the line adjudtable dot rd's out there cant recall the name but they do exist

breakfastchef

Quote from: bugsandbones on December 13, 2012, 12:04:13 AMI took breakfastchef's advice and put a small dot with a dry erase marker on the front glass.
It was a great idea and it made sure I was aligning the dot in the same place every time.

Cool beans! Thanks for trying this out.
Larry

bugsandbones

Your welcome. Thank you for suggesting it. :)
And I realized it was not going to be top of the line when I saw the price was 30 dollars. Maybe I will invest in something else later on. Thanks for the advice.
That dot sight is pretty fun though! I set up 3 little tomato paste cans at 20 yards and barely missed a single shot!
I think it will work well for squirrels.  ;)

crossliner

Quote from: bugsandbones on December 13, 2012, 11:40:35 PM
Your welcome. Thank you for suggesting it. :)
And I realized it was not going to be top of the line when I saw the price was 30 dollars. Maybe I will invest in something else later on. Thanks for the advice.
That dot sight is pretty fun though! I set up 3 little tomato paste cans at 20 yards and barely missed a single shot!
I think it will work well for squirrels.  ;)

Hi..Cans are too big they are much better than that..Take a look at my 5 group shot. Best regards.

BigErn

I don't think you can beat the BSA red dot for the price.

AS13

Great idea on marking "the spot" on the red dot. I basically center the dot it in the lens and shoot.  I've used them on my Armalite .223 as well as my M417 with great results. I have the UTG red/green dot that will be going on my 2400 KT. The advantage of the red/green dot is during the day in bright light the green is easier to see. In low light I switch to red. The UTG was around the same price.
Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

"Anything made can be made better."

1377x

this is what i did at 10m iirc i'll have to dig through some posts to know for sure and thats if that post made the change over

i used a tasco rd30 the parallax was about the same as the bsa .i did use it for pesting and i did a great job seeing the pellet strike where the dot was reassuring