• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Cleaning Pellets & Accuracy

Started by AS13, January 14, 2013, 07:31:28 PM

AS13

I thought I'd see if cleaning the barrel actually changed accuracy. I had shot around 120 rounds of .22 CPHP's before cleaning my 2400KT. . The gun was shooting excellent groups at 30 feet. I shot 3 Beeman cleaning pellets through the gun. I then set up a quickie target at 30 feet. I shot seated offhand. The first 6 shots fired at center of mass measured 1" X 1". I fired six more shots at the head and these measured 3/8" X 3/8".
As mentioned in a few posts a seasoned barrel definitely groups better. Evidently even using cleaning pellets will change the point of impact. Not to say I doubted the wisdom of seasoned shooters...I was looking for something to do this morning :)
Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

"Anything made can be made better."

quickster47 †

A good barrel is only starting to get broke-in after two or three hundred rounds.  It usually starts to get seasoned at around five hundred to a thousand rounds.

There is really no need to clean your barrel unless you are seeing a dramatic change in the POI.  Lots of times you will not see a POI change until well after two, or three or four or five thousand rounds.

Now then, this is all presuming that you are using one pellet type and sticking with that pellet type.  If you are changing pellet types all the time then your barrel POI will most likely change each time you change pellet types.

When I was shooting competitive I would also wash my pellets and then sort them by weight.  Anymore I use one type of pellet per gun and just shoot the heck out of them.

Be patient young grasshopper.  Be patient.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

AS13

;D With that experiment down the road, I'll build up the pellet count. I will be trying new pellets hopefully next month. This freaken cold weather is driving me nuts >:( I'm thinking of some more challenging inside shooting practice.
Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

"Anything made can be made better."

breakfastchef

As I have learned, do a light cleaning of the barrel when you want to test a new pellet. Shoot at least a dozen of the new pellets before starting to shoot serious groups. Repeat process when changing pellets again.
Larry

DaveB50

Washing pellets, just what I needed, something else to wash. ;D
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077