• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Affordable Red-dot Scope?

Started by Steve-in-Kville, January 17, 2013, 02:45:54 AM

Steve-in-Kville

I need a red dot. I haven't bought one in 15 years. I have a 2260 rifle that my boys shoot (out of service pending a seal job) plus I will be taking delivery of my 1377 and 2240 this week. I hope to pick up a set of the 459MT scope mounts somewhere along the way as well. This scope may serve time on any of these guns.

I need a red dot that is affordable for plinking guns. If I build anything for strict target shooting I will look at the higher end stuff. For now I need something I am not afraid to send my boys off to the garden to shoot starlings with. 

I was told that the BSA line was a good option, but I would like to get more opinions first. My budget is $100 or less. I am also looking at refurbs on ebay. I welcome any suggestions.
Crosman 2260, 2240 & 1377
Beeman R9
Walther CP99
Benji 392

breakfastchef

For $100 you can get a very nice red dot. My favorite, most accurate red dot is a Millett SP-1 (@$50). I think it wold be very good on a rifle/carbine.
Larry

blake.l

+1 on the Millett SP-1... I just picked one up on eBay new for $53.00 very well built and looks real nice....

chongman

Quote from: Steve-in-Kville on January 17, 2013, 02:45:54 AM
I need a red dot. I haven't bought one in 15 years. I have a 2260 rifle that my boys shoot (out of service pending a seal job) plus I will be taking delivery of my 1377 and 2240 this week. I hope to pick up a set of the 459MT scope mounts somewhere along the way as well. This scope may serve time on any of these guns.

I need a red dot that is affordable for plinking guns. If I build anything for strict target shooting I will look at the higher end stuff. For now I need something I am not afraid to send my boys off to the garden to shoot starlings with. 

I was told that the BSA line was a good option, but I would like to get more opinions first. My budget is $100 or less. I am also looking at refurbs on ebay. I welcome any suggestions.

I would not buy refurb optics on ebay. There's that whole return if it don't work right thing.  You can get a really nice red dot from http://www.pyramydair.com/ Their return/replacement policy is outstanding if for no other reason than you just don't like it.
Plus, with every purchase you earn bonus points  ;)

From the main page of the forum type red dot in the search block in the upper right corner. Lot's of reviews and recommendations on here.
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

Crosshairs

Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

Mark5043

For a cheap one I like the Barska 30mm..
Obviously not top of the line by any means,but for under $40.00,it's a good deal,and works well... :-*

Fronzdan

For a hundred or less its wide open for red dots.  You can get good ones in the $30-$50 range.  Any of the ones linked are great.  I personally like the style like the Walther one.  I have about 5 of them myself.  Most are made by NCStar. Not sure if they are all made in the same place and just labelled differently. I tend to think yes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001COQOZI/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00

Note that many of the red dots have weaver mounts, not dovetails.

Can I make another suggestion?  Spend $50 or less on the dot and get a steel breech with the money you "saved".  It'll give you a rock solid gun with a built-in dovetail. I've never been a fan of the 459 mounts with the plastic breech.  The sight will wobble a bit.

AgentWD40_FL

Quote from: Fronzdan on January 17, 2013, 06:45:18 AM
Spend $50 or less on the dot and get a steel breech with the money you "saved".  It'll give you a rock solid gun with a built-in dovetail. I've never been a fan of the 459 mounts with the plastic breech.  The sight will wobble a bit.

+1 on this.  Read reviews on that 459 barrel mount.  Just about everyone recommends the lil extra cash for the steel breech.  I almost went the 459 way .... happy I didnt.  The steel breech is sweet, and solid.
Flying Dragon XS60C .22 Co2 Air Rifle w/Hawke Sport HD 3-9X40 AO Scope
Hatsan Mod 25 Supercharger .177
Crosman 38T .177 (Circa 1976)
Crosman 38C .22 (Circa 1963-1974)
Crosman Mark 1 Target .22 (Circa 1970's)
Crosman 1740 (2240 Modded) Carbine w/Bushnell 3-9X32
Crosman 2300KT CCS .177 w/Tasco 2x20
Crosman 1377 w/BSA Red Dot
Beeman P-17
Gamo PT-85 w/Laser Sight
Crosman 357

mackelby

Never used one a red dot, but in my mind I would think a 5 moa dot would be way to big for 5 meter comp, maybe too big for 10 meter. Please correct me if my mind is playing tricks on me

Tater

Quote from: mackelby on January 17, 2013, 01:14:02 PM
Never used one a red dot, but in my mind I would think a 5 moa dot would be way to big for 5 meter comp, maybe too big for 10 meter. Please correct me if my mind is playing tricks on me

I have the BSA linked by Crosshairs and I do like it. However if I could do it over, I'd definitely get one that's 2x and a smaller MOA. My eyes are pretty bad but your right, a 5 MOA is tough to use for a 10m comp (for me anyways). The dot just covers too much.
Your mileage may vary.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

Steve-in-Kville

Thanks for the replies. I will check out Pyramyd Air.
Beeman R9
Walther CP99
Benji 392

BDS

Quote from: Steve-in-Kville on January 17, 2013, 02:45:54 AM

+1 to the BSA sights for knock-around plinkers   :-* ...and a BIG thumbs-down  >:( on any re-furbs, of anything gun related, it's all garbage IMO and mostly abused product thrashed by those who couldn't find a proper screw driver for adjustments if it was glued to their a$$  :D 
Brian

Steve-in-Kville

The more I read about the 459 mount the more I see the wisdom in going with the steel breech. Are there steel breeches that take Weaver mounts? Or will I need to use an adapter?
Beeman R9
Walther CP99
Benji 392

BDS

That's whats great about most BSA red dots, the integral mounts can be used as 11mm dovetail (like a 2240 steel breech) or flipped over and used as a Weaver style mount. The cross mounted screws come completley loosen you just flip the little rails over on the mounts, pic below...
Brian

1377x

forget the 459 mounts and get a steel breech.relly not worth the $10 they cost
as for a red dot i have a millet sp-1 and its very good and the price isnt much either
budget
$60 millet sp-1
$40 crosman steel breech
$10 1" 3/8" dovetail rings
$110 over budget $10  ???
its worth it to spend the extra $10
closed mouths dont get fed