• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

POLL: Your mod strategy & routine on new airguns?

Started by Steve-in-Kville, January 17, 2013, 09:29:15 PM

Steve-in-Kville

So do you shoot a new airgun stock for a while and then slowly do upgrades? Or buy the gun and a whole pile of parts and change everything right away?

My 1377 and 2240 just showed up. I am already taking a liking to the 1377 (I haven't shot either one yet...). The plastic grips/forend are outa here. That's gotta happen. Next may be the internals and trigger. And maybe another breech... and the list goes on...
Crosman 2260, 2240 & 1377
Beeman R9
Walther CP99
Benji 392

BDS

Ask 50 folks, get (at least) 20 diff answers...

For the 13XX and 22XX family of guns, IMO you can anticipate making 3 mods right away unless you just want a stock gun. 1) Trigger spring 2) Polish all trigger parts and moly lube and 3) improved sights or optics.

Prob with item 3 is, those Crosman barrel clamp mount are ok for super light optics, not so much for anything substantial (the weight wil move the barrel in the plastic breech)

So... mod 4 would be a proper steel breech. And on it goes :-*
Brian

quickster47 †

I try and shoot mine for at least a month before doing anything rash.  Using the gun in a box stock configuration gives you time to get to know the gun and sort of decide on the path you want to take to make it right for you.  And I do stress that YOU because what works for someone else might not work for you.

Take your time, get comfortable with the gun and then move forward.  So many times I've done things off the bat only to decide later on that what I did was not what I really wanted.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Steve-in-Kville

As far as power mods, I have nothing in mind right now. But the plastic grips have to go. I will be looking at my options online over the weekend...
Beeman R9
Walther CP99
Benji 392

1377x

all my guns start from parts
i have one phase 2 1377 that started out as a stock 1377 the 3 other guns i have all started from parts from parts.i built a few other guns and they started as parts to.had a 2240 i bought new in the clam shell a week later it was 2250b
closed mouths dont get fed

brz-ryder †

one place to check for grips is rbgrips.net he has nice ones for crosman i got an insert for  my crosman stock and grips and forearm for my 2240 from him nice stuff
my shooters
Crosman 2240 stock
Crosman 2240 highly modded
Crosman 2240 polished
Crosman stubby 2240
Crosman 116 x3
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman 1861 shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman heritage 2260
Crosman AS2250XT
Winchester M14

BDS

Quote from: Steve-in-Kville on January 17, 2013, 10:15:23 PM
As far as power mods, I have nothing in mind right now. But the plastic grips have to go. I will be looking at my options online over the weekend...

Steve... get the "plastic" Crosman grips P/N 1701, they have a pebble grain grip surface and are smooth all over on the rest of the grip, no cheezy wood grain stuff. They are slightly thicker wall (not much) but... if you use some RTV or silicone inside the grips with a small handful of lead pellets pressed into it, you have weighted and non-hollow feeling/sounding grips.

The whole process will cost you about $12 including the $4 shpg from Crosman but, this assumes you are gonna get a 2289 black pump handle for that 1377? Also cheap and will come in the same pkg for the same $4 shpg charge.
Brian

Steve-in-Kville

As far as grips go, I spoke with Ralph at RB grips this afternoon. He actually answered the phone! I liked what I heard so I am going that route.
Beeman R9
Walther CP99
Benji 392

chongman

For me, ichiban, is the grips. When I decide to buy a 22xx I go ahead and get them on order.
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

1377x

for grips i like the looks of the keith grips the best
followed by iagent grips
then lastly rb
closed mouths dont get fed

droid

Rick's grips do it for me. Only my favourite guns get those. But I do have a secret passion for the standard new type ones as well.

My mod strategy is go to town on the gun, then keep changing my mind for the entire ownership. I just wake up in the morning, look at all my guns and some days I admire them and other days I think certain parts would look better on other guns and end up with a table full of part assembled guns.

Fun innit  :-* :-*
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

onebaddj

Well i cant leave anything stock so i usually have parts on their way or waiting for what gun i order. Once i get the gun i ops check it to make suure it works clean it and do break in and bone stock testing so i have a solid beefore and after profile on the gun. Then it starts. Adding things here and there to get the velocity consistant and shot count where im happy then trigger work and then mount optics and and get after data. Ill tinker for ever until im happy then ill find some other shiny thing and like a racoon i just gotta have it! I do 90% target shooting so small velocity window and accuracy are everything to me. 
i wasnt born with enough middle fingers. Marolyn manson.

Daysailer

Ditto, BDS,

Lighter trigger spring w/.22 lr shell for spring guide.
Polish/moly lube trigger contact points.
Take original trigger spring and replace stock valve spring with the trigger spring.

Shoot 'n enjoy, while spending the next 3 months looking up and studying, and ruminating, and
pondering all the modification posts and the expected results you can find on this forum, and
the Crosman Airgun Forum.  (bookmark the ones you like and even the ones you dont)
If you look and search these forums, you can find amazing ideas that go back many years,
and find mods that have been sort of forgotten, or glossed over, but are still very useful
and fun/cheap to do.
(yes there is about 3 months worth of reading ...if you look for it)     ;)

Then decide how you want to use and best enjoy your 1377, and then....
Go back to your bookmarks and study the mods and 'how to' again...

Like many of us... you many find that you want 3 - 4 - or more versions of this fun pistol platform
Plinker....indoor target....carbine hunter.....power monster....collector 'show' piece.....
or any combination you choose.

Have fun .... safely.

Adjust the wind, we cannot.....Adjust our sails (or windage), we should.

brz-ryder †

Yup once you get the modding bug you`ll have guns that no long look or preform like the original gun you got just like this 2240 of mine it`s not a 2240 any more but what it is don`t really know lol  ???

Jim
my shooters
Crosman 2240 stock
Crosman 2240 highly modded
Crosman 2240 polished
Crosman stubby 2240
Crosman 116 x3
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman 1861 shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman heritage 2260
Crosman AS2250XT
Winchester M14

turrrrdle

Quote from: Daysailer on January 19, 2013, 06:36:30 PMTake original trigger spring and replace stock valve spring with the trigger spring.

thank you,

i knew i saw this somewhere but couldnt remember who or where.

any other opions on this particular mod are welcome ???. i am working on my valve at the moment.

thank you
troll on troll, you know who you are.