• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Opened up the 1377 - quick questions

Started by Brent, February 10, 2013, 02:35:15 AM

Brent

So I got the new amazon deal 1377 out of the packaging this afternoon so I could semi sight it in... and start on the trigger job. I have to admit that I was actually more impressed with the build, then I thought I would be. Those brown plastic grips/ stock... just look so unimpressive in the clamshell.

Had one of these like 25 years ago... and this one even with the plastic breech and such... seems to feel better to me in the build. Might be my imagination... that was a long time ago... but in cocking and pumping it, pulling the trigger (this trigger feels better in a long way to me, over my earlier one)... It sounds nice and sharp/ tight when I dry fired it. I was pleasingly surprised with the trigger... very little side play... fairly short and smooth... but the pull Is Way to heavy! Still need to do the trigger job as I am sure it needs it... but is way better than I remember on my older Crosman guns.

Anyways... something weird to me, happened after about 10 shots. Let me pick your brains on this.

So I unboxed it and decided to cycle it a little to seat everything and break it in. One pump, cock it, fire. Did that 5 times or so. Out come the pellets. Same one pump sequence for 3 shots. Then up to 2 pumps for the next 3... and 3 pumps for the 3 shots after that.

On the 10th pellet... I pumped it 4 pumps... but got a phone call so I didn't add the pellet and fire it for about 5 minutes. Fire it, and heard a little air and the sear... but the pellet didn't come out. Tried it again (twice)... same thing.

Pushed the pellet out of the barrel into the breech (the pellet was still pretty much right in front of the bolt)... thinking maybe it was the pellet but it looked fine... same thing for a couple more times/ new pellets.

Got my air tool oil out... put a about 8 drops in under the fore stock by the piston there... cycled it 4 times one pump/ fire no pellet, to get the oil through .. added a pellet and pumped 3 times... and now it is shooting pellets again. Only got a chance to fire it 3 times more again, before it got dark.

Would it really have been that dry and the oiling fixed it? In looking there before I added the extra oil... it clearly had a nice clear film of oil already there.

Is there something more to this, that I need to he concerned about? After all this, did I possibly damage/ put wear on any of the components?

I feel like these are nubie questions big time... but I am trying to learn what is going on here. Haven't seen anything like this in the long ago past with the other 1377, 760, etc.

Thanks!

Crosshairs

What pellets are you using ? Yes it could have been dry inside the valve too so when you oiled it and pumped it you sealed the valve seals IMO.
                                                   Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

mudduck48

I do not know what the ''experts" here are going to say, but with my 1377 I pump it up 8 to 10 times. Try that and see what happens. Also do the tissue test. Pump 10 times and put a t-paper or a klenix over the top of the chamber where you put the pellet in. No pellet, just pumps, and fire. If the tissue moves, you have a leak.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Brent

Crosman Destroyer EX pellets

I probably should add ... I dry fired it 3 times after it got dark and I put it away finally - with 3 and 4 pumps... allot of vaporized oil came out of the barrel on those cycles.

Crosshairs

Mudduck could be right the TP seal could be out of wack sometimes the barrel will twist when installed that's another reason we use the steel breech because with the plastic breech the barrel will move.
                                             Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

WyoMan

Never heard one like this before but maybe the pellet was oversized and 4 pumps was not enough for breaking force....
A couple things:
Pump at least 3 time to dry fire because the hammer force needs some resistance from the exhaust stem
or the cocking pin will slam too hard (you're probably ok but I wouldn't do it too much)...
Store pumper with a couple pumps and see if it holds air overnight....if it doesn't then a valve seal needs work

Also good responses above, do the tissue test......you may not have a problem  :)
Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

quickster47 †

Quality control on these guns is just okay, not the best by a long shot.  I had one right out of the box that the transfer port was skewed and leaked like a sieve.  Took it apart, reused the transfer port seal, lubed things up and it was okay.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Brent

Quote from: mudduck48 on February 10, 2013, 02:56:45 AM
I do not know what the ''experts" here are going to say, but with my 1377 I pump it up 8 to 10 times. Try that and see what happens. Also do the tissue test. Pump 10 times and put a t-paper or a klenix over the top of the chamber where you put the pellet in. No pellet, just pumps, and fire. If the tissue moves, you have a leak.

Thanks mudduck!

Just tried that (twice to make sure)... and the tissue didn't move. All looks good there.  :)

Still blew vaporized oil out the barrel though.

I am pretty sure the pellets weren't jammed... they came out real easy when I pushed them back to the breech. Will pump it up 5 times and let it sit for awhile and see if it holds pressure. Good idea Wyo.

jSan22

destroyers are a loose fit.  maybe your oil deal everything up so everything can get back to work.
I think these guns are like factorys. everything has to work or there's trouble.

breakfastchef

Quote from: Brent on February 10, 2013, 03:31:35 AMe
Still blew vaporized oil out the barrel though.

You over oiled the pump tube. The oil will work its way out as the pistol breaks in.
Larry

Brent

Quote from: breakfastchef on February 10, 2013, 03:57:21 AM
You over oiled the pump tube. The oil will work its way out as the pistol breaks in.

Cool... was wondering and hoping that was it.
Thanks!!

Brent

Pumped it up and left it over night. This morning fired it, and it held pressure.

It seems OK now. Guess it was the valve needing to seal with some oil  ???  That is all I can figure, with all your help checking these other things out. Seems kinda weird to happen in the first place...guess time will tell  ;)   

Am going to actually take out out and shoot it some... first nice weekend day since I got it, for shooting. The trigger job will have to wait. lol   Want to get it broke in to know for sure... and the little bit I shot it yesterday was a blast, and want to do that some more  :)

Wyo - thanks for the dry firing/ 3 pumps/ hammer force info. THAT is definitely good to know, hadn't heard that before. Makes sense when you think about it... so no more of that lol

Thank you everyone that chimed in here!! I appreciate it!!

WyoMan

Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

JEBert

QuoteSo I unboxed it and decided to cycle it a little to seat everything and break it in. One pump, cock it, fire. Did that 5 times or so. Out come the pellets. Same one pump sequence for 3 shots.
I'm surprised that you didn't have a malfunction on your first  three shots.  You must have had some loose-fitting pellets.  I have had them not leave the barrel for 2 pumps.  Here is an excerpt from the 1377 owners manual.
"Pump at least 3 times, but no more than 10 times."
It also has the maintenance schedule for oiling it.
http://www.crosman.com/pdf/manuals/1377D515%20OM3.pdf
Glad you got it sorted.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

jSan22

Quote from: JEBert on February 10, 2013, 09:18:02 PM
I'm surprised that you didn't have a malfunction on your first  three shots.  You must have had some loose-fitting pellets.  I have had them not leave the barrel for 2 pumps.  Here is an excerpt from the 1377 owners manual.
"Pump at least 3 times, but no more than 10 times."
It also has the maintenance schedule for oiling it.
http://www.crosman.com/pdf/manuals/1377D515%20OM3.pdf
Glad you got it sorted.
Cheers,
like anyone follows what the manual said. heh-heh