• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

How Many Others Generally Into Other Alternatives As Well

Started by allan.leigh04, February 11, 2013, 06:40:52 AM

allan.leigh04

Hi All,

I was just mildly curious how many others also from the forum, are also into other alternatives for shooting ?.....

For example, I am also into heavy draw weight slingshots, and heavy ammo.

As for the short ranges of up to 30 meters; these have alot more stopping power than most BB type airguns.

Of course unless someone is practicing alot more than me.
I can not be as pin point accurate as I can with a firearm.

But then with the energy they transmit with heavy ammo, anywhere in a 3 inch diameter, is going to do serious damage (read definite kill).
I guess this all flows over to general preparedness, and firm belief in Murphy's Law.
If anything can go wrong, it will, at the worst possible time.

So I plan for this eventuality always; like all good soldiers should

Cheers Allan

Regards

Allan

Oh, & my use of bold so often, is NOT yelling or shouting, but rather so my aging eyes can read what I type.

Australian Army Veteran 1976-88, then 1999-2004 after running my own fitness/martial arts center for a few years.

Okinawan Isshinryu Karate exponent since aged 11 years. Now despite many achievements, still learning every day.

Winners Never Quit...&.....Quitters Never Win .

MSN & YIM rarely turned on.

jSan22

I tried hunting with a slingshot once. shot just kept flying over the bunnies head. I hit a squirrel one time and I pissed him off.
then I tried a bow. almost hit a grey square in his chest, but no dice.
ill just stick to airguns for now.

JEBert

Compound bow - pretty proficient
Wrist rocket type slingshot - not so much
Blowgun - so so.
I also had a boomerang as a kid and could usually make it come back to me.  When I started throwing it at stuff, targets and game, it tore up.
Don't have room to practice any of those outdoors anymore.  I shoot the blowgun at the opposite wall in my office where I have a dartboard hanging.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

allan.leigh04

Sorry, I am still laughing on the floor.

Being an Aussie, boomerangs that come back, were used to herd birds into nets.
Boomerangs that kill, never come back, but are a heavy short knob at one end of a longer shaft for throwing.

Excuse me for being amused, but us worldly Australians just can not get over how much the rest of the world assume about us, our land, wild life, and natives customs etc.

But I guess that is no ones real fault, beyond everyone everywhere thinking why know about others.

Cheers allan

Regards

Allan

Oh, & my use of bold so often, is NOT yelling or shouting, but rather so my aging eyes can read what I type.

Australian Army Veteran 1976-88, then 1999-2004 after running my own fitness/martial arts center for a few years.

Okinawan Isshinryu Karate exponent since aged 11 years. Now despite many achievements, still learning every day.

rangerfredbob

I used to use a sling shot a lot, the only thing I ever killed with one was a pigeon in flight... at one time when I used my blowgun more I was pretty good with it, even just the little 18" length across a room I was usually within 1/2" of where I was aiming... I haven't used the 36" in a while so I don't remember how I was with it :)
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

JEBert

I'm glad you got a laugh from me.  I don't mind.  I can sure see how it is amusing.
I think that the boomerang I had as a kid was just a toy.  I also seem to remember reading somewhere that the hunting ones didn't return.
I used to throw a few knives and hatchets too, trying to get them to stick in a block of wood or a tree stump.  Never got very good with that either.
I have a friend that is looking forward to playing golf now that we are getting closer to spring.  I think I agree with King James of Scotland that Golf takes us away from our marksmanship practice (he outlawed golf for that reason).  I would much rather be target practicing.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

allan.leigh04

Yea funny that,

The more practice you do, the luckier you get, with most skills.

Guys around way better than me with a sling shot; damm they can cut a playing card in half from like 30 meters plus.

Me, as long as I practice enough to remain consistent, and can hit within 3 inches of my aim point at 10 meters with a slingshot; with the same weight ammo, the same draw, stance, anchor point etc. ; then I am satisfied.

As I know anything out to over 25 meters is in serious peril, if it annoys me, is a pest, or is game.
And at that range a .50 steel ball, will go clean through ballistic gel, or a pig leg with skin on, unless it hits bone.

To me that is awesome power and penetration.

Regards

Allan

quickster47 †

I have been learning to shoot blowguns.  They are a bunch of fun and can be very, very deadly.

I also have four black powder cannons that shoot golfballs and steel balls as well as one soda can shooter.  Tons of fun and lots of smoke.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

AS13

Loved to shoot in the 3-D archery competition at my local club (compound bow). U.S.P.S.A. pistol  and rifle competition. Bass fishing at the local ponds. I did have the opportunity to spend two weeks in West Geraldton, Australia while in the Navy. The people were great and I consumed a lot of Emu beer :-*
Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

"Anything made can be made better."

arkmaker †

I had a sling shot as a kid, then never looked back when I was given my first air rifle, followed shortly by a PB rifle. Still love them all.

Is it true that you need the alternatives like sling shots and boomerangs in Australia because of a gun ban? Does that include air guns as well as powder burners?

Rich
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

crossliner

I am a blowgunner myself but I quit doing birds back in 2008 it I remember it right..Rats all the way for me.

Crosshairs

Compound bow, blowguns,powder burners, sling shots pretty much anything that will shoot something.
                                              Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!