hammer ?

Started by bgmcgee, February 16, 2013, 01:36:23 AM

quickster47 †

I use a Dremel with a 5/8" grinding stone to put the notch in the 1701P hammer.  Takes about 15 minutes to do a clean job.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

bgmcgee

Thanks Carl, I think that's the route I will go. I've got a dremel but no way to really do a proper  jb weld job so the 1701 hammer sounds like the better option for me.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

mackelby

Apparently my skull is REAL thick! For some reason I thought you used the JB Weld to make the hammer a complete cylinder, (no valley)I am confused as to where the JB Weld goes. I have a 1701P trigger group on the way and new hammer to modify. Can I get a pic of a 2289 hammer modified for the 1701P trigger group. I believe I have seen pictures of the modified hammers with the grinding mod for this trigger group but don't see where the JB Weld is. Sorry to make this thread go on and on. Seems like the more I think I know the less I actually know.

Fronzdan

It's really easy to do the JB Weld mod.  Yes, you fill the groove/valley/channel in the hammer so it's "solid".  If you're concerned about pouring a liquidy mix in there without making a mess, try the putty version of JBW.  You just mix it up, stuff it in the groove...maybe a little extra.  You'll trim and sand that down later.

I usually let it set for an hour and use a straight razor blade to trim off the extreme excess...never cut in below the surface of the cylinder.  Then I chuck it up in a power drill...you can use a dowel or long screw stuffed into the hole.  Spin it and sand down the rest using increasing grits.  When done you'll have a perfectly smooth solid hammer that's shiny and ready to install.

breakfastchef

Filling the waist on the hammer is not the notch being referred to. There is a teeny bit of breech screw protruding into the air tube. When the screw is located in the rear position (under the bolt), the hammer would hit it when flying toward the valve stem unless there is a little material removed from the top of the hammer. This is the notch being discusses.

Quote from: mackelby on February 16, 2013, 06:03:12 PM
Apparently my skull is REAL thick! For some reason I thought you used the JB Weld to make the hammer a complete cylinder, (no valley)I am confused as to where the JB Weld goes. I have a 1701P trigger group on the way and new hammer to modify. Can I get a pic of a 2289 hammer modified for the 1701P trigger group. I believe I have seen pictures of the modified hammers with the grinding mod for this trigger group but don't see where the JB Weld is. Sorry to make this thread go on and on. Seems like the more I think I know the less I actually know.
Larry

quickster47 †

Here are three more pictures showing another of my modified hammers.  You can see where the JB Weld is and also where the original notch in the hammer is located to accommodate the breech screw rear location.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

1377x

just get the jbwelb that comes in a stick if the liquid is to hard to work with
i used jbquickweld it sets in 5 minutes and fully cured in 24 hours
accurate mixing will have the best results
i had over 400 charges with my jbweld modded hammer and no change looked like i just finished it
if the mixture is off then it will wear becasue it wont harden
i have that people get good results with the stick
the way i do it there is no mess cant explain why ???  other than i have a lot of experience with it
closed mouths dont get fed

mackelby

Sorry gentlemen, I said this was going in 2289, actually going in 2240.

quickster47 †

Quote from: mackelby on February 17, 2013, 06:15:54 PM
Sorry gentlemen, I said this was going in 2289, actually going in 2240.

That's okay, the hammer I showed happens to be made for a 2240 or any of the 22XX series of guns.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

mackelby

I was under the impression the 2289 and the 2240 hammers are completely different.

quickster47 †

They are. Forgot about that out of place version.  The 2289 is 13XX based, only a 22 in caliber.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

mackelby

The greatest thing about this hobby is for everything I learn I realize I need to learn 5 times more than I thought I needed to learn. And for a guy that has loves to learn new stuff that keeps him in the poor house this is a PERFECT match for me. ;D

mackelby

Brings up new question at the risk of hijacking this thread. Is the tube on a 2289 the same size of the 1377 and what is the difference in the sizes of the 2289 tube and the 2240 tube?

Fronzdan

The 2289 tube is the same as the 13xx tube.   The 2240 tube and all co2 the variants are bigger.

mackelby

Thanks, the learning curve is steeper than I originally thought. Got to love it!