• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Gas Types & Any Power Increases ?.....

Started by allan.leigh04, February 16, 2013, 02:53:35 PM

allan.leigh04

I was just wondering what are the different types of gases ?......

Here I can only get the standard Air Soft type gas.

And my power is adequate, BUT if i could increase it a fair amount, without dammaging things, well it would be real cool.

Any advice will be appreciated, thanks.

Regards

Allan

Oh, & my use of bold so often, is NOT yelling or shouting, but rather so my aging eyes can read what I type.

Australian Army Veteran 1976-88, then 1999-2004 after running my own fitness/martial arts center for a few years.

Okinawan Isshinryu Karate exponent since aged 11 years. Now despite many achievements, still learning every day.

Winners Never Quit...&.....Quitters Never Win .

MSN & YIM rarely turned on.

breakfastchef

CO2 is cheap, plentiful and easy to use. Downside is pressures created by CO2 are linked to temperature. When CO2 cools, pressures drop.

High pressure air (HPA) or nitrogen are not affected by temperature. These gasses can be run at higher regulated pressures than CO2.

I have one dual fuel gun. I shoot CO2 in the warmer months and HPA in the colder months, but I would be quite happy shooting HPA year round and may decide to do so fo rthe reason stated above.
Larry

arkmaker †

I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

allan.leigh04

Thanks for the advice. Cool in Thailand is 25 degrees Celcius.

But can a more normal gas chamber as part of a magazine take CO2 ?.....

Regards

Allan

Oh, & my use of bold so often, is NOT yelling or shouting, but rather so my aging eyes can read what I type.

Australian Army Veteran 1976-88, then 1999-2004 after running my own fitness/martial arts center for a few years.

Okinawan Isshinryu Karate exponent since aged 11 years. Now despite many achievements, still learning every day.

allan.leigh04

Officially an Air soft firearm replica, but at 450 fps now, I would not want to be hit with a .32 gram plastic BB or not.

Regards

Allan

Gippeto

After a quick search, it seems airsoft guns use a variety of propellent gases. CO2, an "environmentally" friendly type of freon, or "green gas".

The freon is 1,1,1,2 tetraflouroethane (also known as 134a)....Which would be around 90psi @ 25C

Green gas is propane with a little silicon oil added....~ 120psi @ 25C

CO2 @ 25C is going to be in the neighborhood of 950psi @ 25C

Quite a difference hmm. :)

Would not recommend running an airsoft pistol intended for Green gas or "freon" on CO2....bad things could happen.

Al

arkmaker †

X1 what Al said.

Do you have any airsoft places around you? They would be able to give you the proper advise.  :-*

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

allan.leigh04

Air Soft places, no not really, some market traders sell stuff, but know nothing.

I am thinking now of a mix of gases in an empty magazine gas reservoir, ensuring not too overfilled with the CO2 just like a 4 to 5 second fill; then a bit longer with the propane as that is not too much higher pressure than the gas i use, so that this combo makes up about 1/2 the tank; then the rest normal gas. My tank takes forever to fill. I hold the container and press for well over 1 min before I get any residue blowing back indicating it is full.

On the humorous side I guess i could use lighter gas, and no doubt burn myself badly, but it would be fun to watch.
Yea I know I am a sick puppy.

Cheers Allan

Regards

Allan

arkmaker †

Mixing gases does NOT sound like something I would do! Best to do some reading up on how each gas will react with the other first.

You are on your own with this train of thought...

Brent

I am not keen on the mixed gases idea either. Something does not feel right about that, because there is going to be a chemical reaction of some sort (good or bad), but what that is is not known because you are free form mixing them in varying ratios. It is the flammable propane that worries me the most. Need a Chemist background I would think... to know for sure.

I also agree, in that the gun is likely not built to sustain the higher pressures. That would make me nervous to even handle it. Please be safe, if you go down this road... my gut feeling tells me to be concerned.

I was under the impression that air guns are illegal in Thailand.
Stranded in California.

arkmaker †

from a Thai forum. Use at your own risk....I suggest further research;

Thai Law as it stands today:
"Paintball guns, BB guns and airsoft guns are not considered firearms, so it is legal to possess them without having a permit or registering them. However the owner must comply with the following conditions:
• The gun hasn't been modified to use CO2.
• Only plastic bullets are used – no metal bullets or marbles may be fired.
• When carrying the gun outside of the owner's property it must be packed in a safe case or box. It is not allowed to be carried in shirt or trouser pockets, nor can it be left out in the open.
• The gun can't be used to commit a crime or torture animals.
The gun becomes illegal if any of these rules are broken.

In short, the gun must be spring powered to be legal. 

allan.leigh04

Thanks for that information about Thai law.
but we are in Thailand, where it is not what you know, but who you know.

So from my by marriage extended family, being a very senior General in Bangkok, another senior local politician, his son a national politician, and next district deputy Police chief.
I am about as prosecution safe for almost anything as one can be, as too much trouble all arriving in hours of a phone call from my wife.

A privilege I almost never use, or abuse, but it makes all the Police here very much want to be my friend, which is good.

Although I never trust Cops ever.

And stuff air soft or air Guns; have you seen the damage heavy .5 inch ammo can do from a powerful slingshot at 30 to 40 meters ???
It makes us guys look like real kids playing with toys before we grow up to the big stuff.

Areal silent killer if ever there was, and a hex nut, killing someone with a neck shot.....hell that could of been thrown up by any passing car or truck or motor bike; and proving otherwise with no witnesses, or none who dare talk; and life is good.

Sorry for the lack of morality, but a soldier always and i do what has to be done.

Cheers allan

Regards

Allan

arkmaker †

quickster47 †

Allan,

In reading your last post I am not quite sure what point you are trying to make and especially as it relates to airguns which is what the Crosman Air Pistol Owner's Forum is all about.

Your posts appear to be more oriented towards air soft equipment rather than airguns.  Perhaps you would be better of posting this whole subject on the airsoft forum at http://www.airsoftforum.com/

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †