• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Fiber optic rear sight

Started by cohiba, February 26, 2013, 05:04:10 PM

cohiba

It seems odd to me that i cant fiind a fiber optic rear sight for the steel breech. I do have a couple williams notch sight and a couple LPA MIM sights as well. Both seem kinda odd using with a fiber optic front sight. What am i missing guys?

Tater

Quote from: cohiba on February 26, 2013, 05:04:10 PM
It seems odd to me that i cant fiind a fiber optic rear sight for the steel breech. I do have a couple williams notch sight and a couple LPA MIM sights as well. Both seem kinda odd using with a fiber optic front sight. What am i missing guys?

I'd love a fiber rear sight too. My wife has a Beeman P17 that came with a red dot (which she really likes), but it has pretty cool fiber sights on the front and rear. She probably won't let me remove them, but I'd love to mod them to fit a 1377 steel breech somehow.
Heck, the P17 is cheap. Probably equal to or less then a Williams or LPA. Buy one just for the sights.   :D
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

JEBert

Williams makes different inserts including fiber optic ones for the WGRS-54.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

cohiba

So that sight fits on the dovetail of the breech it looks like. Then you can add the fire sight ghost ring that would make a cool set up!

anyone tried this before? I wonder what draw backs it may have. Worth a shot though.

BDS

Depending on your eyesight, depth perception etc, sometimes, the rear "dots" or FO dots tend to just disappear as you focus on the front sight.
Brian

cohiba

However you could mount it in front of the loading area to get some extra distance from your eye. I have a shoulder stock so its similar to a rifle

quickster47 †

Check out my SC Stubby build where I just added the Lyman rear sight.  It took a little bit of work but worked out great.

Page 13 is the start of the new rear sight.  http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,5281.180.html

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

JEBert

QuoteCheck out my SC Stubby build where I just added the Lyman rear sight.  It took a little bit of work but worked out great.
Carl,
Yours did work out great.  However, you have a different breech than most of us.  The Williams WGRS-54 fits the Crosman steel breech very well.  It is a little tall but I've been able to make it work with Crosman muzzle breaks and Crosman sight pins.
Cobia,
Mine is still using the standard peep that came with it.  I have the notch ordered, not the fiber-optic one.  It works very well for me so far.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member

quickster47 †

Quote from: JEBert on February 26, 2013, 10:57:43 PM
Carl,
Yours did work out great.  However, you have a different breech than most of us.  The Williams WGRS-54 fits the Crosman steel breech very well..
Cheers,

Right after I posted that I realized/remembered that i had the Bluefork breech and not the Crosman steel breech.

It's an age thing.  Just remember it's an age thing.  ???

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

Bill L.

I got a new Mark II for my wife and kids... I think it was a pretty good trade.

cohiba

Thanks for all the good feedback, much appreciated.

My intention was to use the crosman steel breech, 16 inch barrel, with a 6.5 TKO brake that has the williams FO front sight already on it from Mike.

I have an extra notch sight, and some fiber optic from a MC 13XX sighted barrel band............................i was thinking about use my dremel with the cutoff disc and notch 2 grooves on either side of the notch sight so i can lay a piece of FO in both grooves. The width of the cutoff disc i just under the 1/16 OD of the FO piece. I would certainly risk screwing up the sight.......but if im real slow and careful i may be able to pull it off. The FO would have to be pushed in the slot (snug fit based on measurments) and should hold nicely!

Whatcha think?????

quickster47 †

In Omnia Paratus

JEBert

QuoteI read some where ( don't remeber where ) that the slide/blade from a WGOS will fit the WGRS-54.
Bill,
I believe that you are right.  Can't find it right now but I read somewhere that the blades, peeps, fiber optics, are all interchangeable with the WGOS AND WGRS bases.  I have an open notch on order and will see if it fits my WGRS-54 when it gets here.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member

quickster47 †

Quote from: JEBert on February 27, 2013, 05:31:17 AM
Bill,
I believe that you are right.  Can't find it right now but I read somewhere that the blades, peeps, fiber optics, are all interchangeable with the WGOS AND WGRS bases.  I have an open notch on order and will see if it fits my WGRS-54 when it gets here.
Cheers,

Jerry please do keep us updated on what you find out.  Inquiring minds need to know this stuff.  :)

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

JEBert

I found it.  On page 13 of Williams 2013 catalog.
http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/pdf/2013%20Catalog.pdf
In the picture below, I have outlined with a red box, the section that says you can replace the aperature with the WGOS blade.  It looks to me that the bases of the WGRS and WGOS use the same aperture/blade holders.
Mine is NOT actually on the way yet.  I have it all in my cart but am waiting on a discount code before I do the checkout thing. (My birthday is next month and I remembered that Midway usually sends me a birthday discount code.  Should be in my inbox in the next few days)
EDIT:  Picture didn't make it, second attempt.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member