• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Questions on a new barrel for the 1760

Started by Brent, April 03, 2013, 03:03:40 AM

Brent

Got a used 1760, and it just in not grouping consistently. Shouldn't this rifle be a one holer at 10m? I thought I read that the gun is considered to be accurate. One of the reasons I got it, is so I could shoot the monthly 10m comps with it.

I am going to order another barrel band and double band it to see if it helps, but am also thinking of getting a new 24" barrel with the order. I know it seems sorta an over kill, but figure if I don't need it, I can save it and cut it down and crown it for something later on.

I tried cleaning it, not much improvement. It was Super super dirty!! Took probably 20 patches or so to do it. Was so hoping that would help, but not really much in the end.

So in researching this, I see they stopped making the 1760-001 barrel - and are substituting the disco 1760se-001 barrel now.

I can't tell for sure... but does the disco barrel have a notch machined into it a third of the way down, for a rear sight to be attached?

If it does, that would totally screw up the look of this gun... so I hope the answer is no.

Does anyone happen to have a 1760-001 barrel they would like to sell?

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Brent

bgmcgee

have you tried different pellets? can't answer your question about the barrels though.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

Brent

Quote from: bgmcgee on April 03, 2013, 03:52:33 AM
have you tried different pellets? can't answer your question about the barrels though.

Have  :-*

Daisy's, Crosman Destroyers, and 2 different RWS's. Every type I have.

tinker

(Tinker)
If it's not broken then modify it!

Brent

Thanks for letting me know!!  :-*

Got to thinking about it on the way to work, a 2400kt 24" barrel would be the same thing... wouldn't it?

Called Crosman to ask if they would sell me one... nope. Saving them from the CCS guns.  :(

Anyone have a Crosman service center that they can suggest, that might carry a decent inventory? Looks like that is my next step.

Maybe an in with the CCS shop?

JEBert

QuoteDoes anyone happen to have a 1760-001 barrel they would like to sell?
Brent,
Have you checked to see if you can order one from Crosman?  If you can but just want it sooner, I have one of those I will sell you.  However, I was saving it for a future build so if I cannot replace it, l need to keep it.  I can call in the morning to see if I can order one.  I need a few more parts anyway so I'll let you know tomorrow.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

arkmaker †

Try re-crowning 1st. Maybe all it needs  :-*
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

JEBert

QuoteSo in researching this, I see they stopped making the 1760-001 barrel - and are substituting the disco 1760se-001 barrel now.
I re-read your post and noticed this and I'm wondering where you found this info?  I have had mine for a while.
I'm still calling in the morning about some other parts so I'll check to see if I can get another 1760-001 barrel.
I agree with Rich, try re-crowning it.  You don't need to take much off, chuck it in a drill press and lay some 220 wet-or-dry paper on the table and bring the rotating muzzle down on the paper.  Hold the paper from spinning when the barrel touches it and use a light touch to prevent the barrel from wobbling.  When you get completely past the crown and down to just rifling, swing the table out of the way, wrap some more 220 paper around a round headed screw or something similar, and sand a new crown into the rifling.  Proceed with finer paper and finish with some valve lapping compound or toothpaste.  I also use a 1/2" electric hand drill so I can spin the barrel in reverse part of the time with the finer paper and lapping compound.  I've had pretty good luck with that method.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member

Brent

Thanks guys!!

Jerry... THAT was awfully nice of you to step up to offer!!   :-\ :-*
You need to hang onto it, because I know you can't get one from Crosman right now.

I checked with Crosman this morning, hoping to luck out that they would possibly have a 1760-001... but they confirmed it is being replaced with the 1760se-001 now - the Discovery barrel. I also asked him to double check, and that barrel does have a rear sight notch a third or so of the way down from the breech end.

I checked the crown, and in looking at it - it is perfectly centered in the end, and the taper cut into the rifling is also a nice even centered cut on all sides... in. It doesn't look bad, but I guess that doesn't mean it isn't?  ???

The stock is custom, and the current barrel band is 3 inches in front of the breech. On the stock gun, it is further down the tube towards the muzzle. That is why I was thinking of getting another barrel band and putting it on more to the muzzle end. I would just move this one, but I can't get to the bottom set screw on it, the way stock is mounted. Am not wanting to tear the gun down quite a bit to just move it, with out trying the extra barrel band first. The new extra one would go on easy, the end of the tube under the barrel is wide open in this particular stock design.

Basically I am wondering if I may be getting some barrel frequency, with that barrel band so close to the breech and not supporting the barrel further out.?

I took a bright led flashlight, and looked down the barrel tonight, and the rifling is there, just not sure what there means, and what I am looking at?  Don't know what is good or bad in what I was seeing  ;) It is shiny clean now though  ;) Did a good job there lol

Was planning to order some parts anyways this week also. Will get another barrel band and see if that helps first.

Was wanting a new barrel, because I wanted to  freshen it up to new, and to know I had it shooting as accurately as it possibly can. That is going to be the only way I might have a fighting change to compete in the monthly comps, with those sharpshooters there now  ;) lol

I could tell this one wasn't taken care of much, it was filthy dirty and I don't think it had ever been cleaned, and I think it had been shot quite a bit. If I had a new barrel, then tearing it down to mount it made sense.

Thanks again Jerry for considering it if you could replace yours!! That was Really nice of you!!  :)  :-*

tinker

Brent if re-crowning doesn't help try calling A & B Airguns; Phone Number (620) 492 1713 after 6:00 PM CST.  Alan has a bunch of older parts on hand so he might have a 1760 barrel on hand.

Glen
(Tinker)
If it's not broken then modify it!

JEBert

Brent,
Stick a Q-tip in the muzzle and see if there are any burrs.  Even if there aren't, you still could try re-crowning it.  Couldn't hurt.  Also, how many shots have you taken since the cleaning?  It may start to group better after it becomes "seasoned" to the pellets.
Another thought, how long is your barrel? And have you researched these .22 barrel part #'s?
Length,     Original gun,     Part #
18"               2400            2400-102
24"               2260            2260-003
Just thinking out loud, well, on the keyboard anyway.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member

JEBert

Well, what could I be thinking?  For some reason I thought you were looking for a .22 barrel.  Maybe because I don't have a 1760 but the 17 part of the model # should have clued me in.  I just went and looked at my records and I have used all of the 1760-001 barrels I had and the one I have left is a 2260-003 (.22) barrel.  Sorry for the confusion.
QuoteJust thinking out loud, well, on the keyboard anyway.
Or NOT thinking as the case may be.
Edit:  I still say it's all the pollen in the air down here. :)
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member