New Member Challenge

Started by BDS, April 03, 2013, 09:01:05 PM

breakfastchef

Quote from: rewinder on April 05, 2013, 04:01:41 AM
afraid to ask-- meaning of doofer stick?

The thingy that attaches to the end of a barrel. I gather the origin of the silly word lies in the UK.
Larry

JEBert

Quoteafraid to ask-- meaning of doofer stick?
Another name for the "S" word.  The device that makes your thunder-stick not be as loud that also gets changed to Muzzle Brake when we type it here.  Also known as a Lead Dust Collector.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

chongman

I'm going out on a limb here (I'll edit is needed)  :-X ... I call it a "hush puppy"
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

droid

Quote from: breakfastchef on April 05, 2013, 04:09:58 AM
The thingy that attaches to the end of a barrel. I gather the origin of the silly word lies in the UK.

I lieu of being able to use the S word I found it appropriate to call it a doofer because it goes "doof"   ;D
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

BDS

LDC, shshhhy-stick, doofer, moderator, hush-puppy (good one Michael), muffler, quiet pipe, NRD (noise reduction device), happy neighbor... many names for the same device ;)
Brian

droid

I think the powers that be would easily have the capabilities to identify all these words if they wanted to to be honest but I am still unsure what the issue is with them in the USA and why we don't use the S word.

Am I right in thinking that they are ok on airguns but not on real guns ? Or does this vary from State to State ?
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

KevinP

Quote from: droid on April 05, 2013, 03:01:08 PM
Or does this vary from State to State ?

indeed it does ... in NY not going to happen ... it's a Fed law ... so even if your state is ok with it you still have to apply for a license and pay the Government for  it  ...
Kevin
Albany, New York

BDS

Gary: This is a gun topic/item where the UK have it right as regards airguns.

Most of the stigma attached to the S word comes from the mis-belief by the majority of Americans that they are "illegal", they are not. They are illegal only if you do not have a permit for the device for firearms use(that's device singular, each doofer is considered as a gun would be, one serial number, one permit)  Each device requires an application and the issuance of a certificate or tax stamp from our BATF fellas in Washington, this is a $250 or $500 application (can't remember which) and a full background check etc etc. Much like the application process and permits required for fully automatic firearms or explosives (the LDCs are classified in the same manner).

Where it get's fuzzy is as regards airguns. Interestingly, the BATF regs only address firearms however, a device that could be readily removed (even from an airgun) and attached to a firearm is a controlled device, and this is what they go after, not the airgun itself. It's the device that is an issue, not what it is attached to. There has been much litigation on this subject at the states and even Federal level and several cases have been won by airgun owners because most of the devices have been shown to be totally worthless on a firearm or, in the case of Gamo guns, not removable without destroying the airgun barrel etc. It's a bit crazy because a plastic LDC just explodes like a banana when put on a powder burner, even the lowly .22 LR rimmies make shreds of e'm. Unfortunately, BATF doesn't care about design issues, only their silly regs, they will go after folks who use 1 liter pop bottles and duct tape as moderators if that same pop bottle can be put on a powder burner.

OK, lawyer mode turned off now... :D
Brian