• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Is my gun leaking gas???

Started by DANthirty, May 06, 2013, 09:58:01 AM

DANthirty

Hi All , I've been tinkering with my 2240 yesterday as you do, and I noticed when I had the grips of from the handle when I pulled the trigger I could see a small amount of gas spurt out from around where the trigger spring is , is this normal or is it leaking from somewhere? I thought as this only happens when I pull the trigger the only place it could be leaking from is the transport valve so I changed the little rubber washer on it but still did it? Any ideas guys.

Cheers Dan

quickster47 †

Quote from: DANthirty on May 06, 2013, 09:58:01 AM
Hi All , I've been tinkering with my 2240 yesterday as you do, and I noticed when I had the grips of from the handle when I pulled the trigger I could see a small amount of gas spurt out from around where the trigger spring is , is this normal or is it leaking from somewhere? I thought as this only happens when I pull the trigger the only place it could be leaking from is the transport valve so I changed the little rubber washer on it but still did it? Any ideas guys.

Cheers Dan

Hmm, can't say that I've personally ever seen CO2 escape from that area but then I've also not fired any 2240 that many times with the grips off.  Also not quite sure how the CO2 would get beck there unless the transfer port seal was blown.  But then under pressure CO2 can go some weird places.

Did you have the valve apart?  It is possible that the exhaust port seal on the valve stem could be bad and letting CO2 travel down the stem.  Was it shooting up to snuff before you began tinkering?

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

breakfastchef

Could you possibly be feeling the bit of air being pushed out in front of the hammer as it slides toward the valve stem? That air would escape from the frame in the area you described.
Larry

JEBert

Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

DANthirty

"Valve stem" what do you mean?

arkmaker †

Could be the hammer air being forced out the relief hole. Are you getting 30-40 decent shots out of a cartridge?
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

DANthirty

Blimey 30 or 40 shots you should be lucky more like 10 shots spot on, when I say its a 2240,it was once I just tried to keep it simple its now a pimped up 2260 but still the same trigger system it has everything pimped so not going to get alot of shots

quickster47 †

In Omnia Paratus

DANthirty

Here's a picture of the beauty

quickster47 †

Quote from: DANthirty on May 06, 2013, 08:37:12 PM
Here's a picture of the beauty [/IMG]http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL843//55\/406535989.jpg[/IMG]

Getting an error, indicating picture has been deleted or removed.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

DANthirty

Sorry I know what the valve stem is, I just meant what could be wrong with it the valve is fully modified I also have dremmeled the stem too.

quickster47 †

Quote from: DANthirty on May 06, 2013, 08:41:50 PM
Sorry I know what the valve stem is, I just meant what could be wrong with it the valve is fully modified I also have dremmeled the stem too.

Could possibly be the seal on the exhaust part.

When you have it all together I am guessing that it is shooting well and the only problem you appear to have is when the stock is off you see a puff of gas around the trigger spring when the gun is fired.  Is that correct?

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

Brent

Quote from: DANthirty on May 06, 2013, 08:37:12 PM
Here's a picture of the beauty
WOW  :o :) :-*
I Really like That :-*
Very Nice!! Where did you find that stock? If you ever decide to sell it, please let me know.

JEBert

If the valve stem has been modified, it may be letting some gas out of the rear of the valve around the stem when the stem is depressed.
Edit to add:  Great looking gun!
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

DANthirty

Quote from: quickster47 on May 06, 2013, 10:06:41 PM
Could possibly be the seal on the exhaust part.

When you have it all together I am guessing that it is shooting well and the only problem you appear to have is when the stock is off you see a puff of gas around the trigger spring when the gun is fired.  Is that correct?

Carl
yes that is correct.