• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

questions on my back packer

Started by DaveT, June 11, 2013, 06:38:55 AM

DaveT

Hello all. I have recently bought a 1377 to dispatch tree rats around the house. Got it home sighted in went out for my first rat hunt was within 5 yards of the first rat single shot to the head. Rat dropped like a sack of potatoes. Thought all was good then all hell broke loose took 2 more shots. Needless to say now the 1377 is a paper puncher. So I ordered a backpacker in .22. Now for the questions. I want to swap out the barrel for an 18" barrel. I keep seeing where people got parts from Crosman and I found the numbers in the forum here. But I don't seem to be able to find where to order parts on Crosman's web site. Is it order by phone only? And will the 2240 barrel fit my backpacker? Also where could I find a good two screw metal breech? Thanks to all in advance. I have learned a lot here and really enjoy the the post.
Dave.....

Fronzdan

All parts have to be ordered by phone.  You have to know the part numbers when you call.  They will not give you any tech support in the parts department....but that's what CAPOF is for.  Many of the parts are listed here.  But you can go to the Crosman site and download the EVPs and find them as well. 

As for the 18" barrel...not sure if that's a standard Crosman size or not.  Yes anything that fits a 22xx will fit a 13xx.  You can also order custom length barrels from several sources for reasonable prices.  The steel breeches from Crosman only come with one screw....I assume you meant the barrel screw.  You will have to drill and tap it if you want two.  You can also buy other metal breeches from other vendors that have two screws.  A few are Don Cothran, fivestar and bluefork on this board, crooked barn....a few others I can't think of at the moment.

DaveT

Thanks for the info that was kind of what I figured.
Dave.....

brz-ryder †

The phone no. for ordering parts is 800 724 7486 when they answer just tell them you want to order parts

Jim
my shooters
Crosman 2240 stock
Crosman 2240 highly modded
Crosman 2240 polished
Crosman stubby 2240
Crosman 116 x3
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman 1861 shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman heritage 2260
Crosman AS2250XT
Winchester M14

DaveT

Sweet thanks I was just fixing to look that up. What do yall think of the single screw breaches that Crosman offers?
Dave.....

1377x

you do realize a 2240 barrel is only 7", right?
as the others said its call in only
check and see if you have a Crosman service station near you ,also. might be able to just go in and walk out with the parts
that's how my local station works as well as some others

its very hard to believe a tree rat walked away from the hit
how many pumps?
I have dispatched them at 10-15 yards 10 pumps Crosman pointed pellet. I mean 50 to a 100, 100% 1 shot drop
when I changed it to .22 then I had some runners which did drop within 20yds most around 5 yards. prpbably got a lil laxed cause of the higher fpe thinking I didn't have to be as accurate. I treat all calibers as though they are .177 now ;)
closed mouths dont get fed

agninja

.177 will not do for tree rats unless it's a rifle and you are getting clean shots. I've hit one three times with a .177 springer rifle, including a headshot, and it was still alive. I've seen them shot by a .22 rimfire and lose a front limb and they'll just keep climbing the tree with only three legs working. You need every bit of power and accuracy you can muster in order to effectively hunt those critters.
Black air pistols matter.

droid

Get the 2260 .22 barrel, maybe it's 24" but you could always have it shortened.

P.No: 2260-003
Full Brass 2240, Custom 2300s, Custom 2250XL, Custom Beretta PX4 Storm, Custom SAI 1911 MEU
www.ratbuster.co.uk

Crosshairs

I kill squirrels all the time with my 1377  hunter shot to the head and they never get up. your 1377 should be fine up to 20 yards. Aim for the eye.
                         Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

jSan22

it seems rats, tree rats included, have a high zombie factor.  I have killed squirrels with my 1377 in stock form with pointed pellets, non head shot. the 22 cal will flip them. and thats always awesome to see, when they flip like that.
since you have a carbine anyway, you are set. HOWEVER I would suggest you get a telescopic sight of some kind. this is where you can go nuts. you can get a red dot to cover 10-20 yards (maybe longer if you have a small sub 5 MOA dot) a simple 4x32, or a compact 6x32 mildot AO with illuminated recticle. or all the way up to a 3-9x40 scope with the same features as last. keep in mind that the more features you get, the heavier the scope tends to be.
then you also extend the barrel. if you can manage a 24 inch barrel, get it. but keep in mind that the gun will be somewhere around 40 inches long. lighten the trigger by finding a lighter spring.
and grab a steel breech. that is a important piece of equipment as it adds the ability to scope it.

Fronzdan

The single screw breeches from Crosman are fine.  If you were free floating a longer barrel, adding another barrel screw would be the way to go.  Since you're looking for a longer barrel, just pickup a metal barrel band from Michael Chavka or bluefork and you'll be fine with the Crosman breech.

DaveB50

Here are some .22 Crosman barrels. Any of these will work on your gun.
          Original  Gun    part #
14.5"       2289         2289-001   Has no dimple - originally 13xx guns
14.5"       2250         2250-019   Has dimple for barrel band - originally 22xx guns
18"          2400kt      2400-102 
Crosman 1740, 12" bbl., , 1701p trigger, TKO LDC
Crosman 2260, Barracuda stock, 18"bbl., ACC LDC
Sheridan Blue Streak '68
RWS/Hammerli 850 AirMagnum .22 cal
P17
Crosman 1077

DaveT

.22 (5.5mm)       
Length      Original Gun        Crosman P/N
7.5"          2240 Only          2240-002
10.25"       1322                1322-064
14.5"         2289                2289-001
14.5"         2250B              2250-019
18"           2400                2400-102
18 "          2250XE             2400-006
24"          2260                2260-003

Thanks for all the info and suggestions. This is where I got the 18" info. It was posted in the forum. Will the single barrel screw be ok with the 18" barrel? And the first shot was just at the corner back side of the eye and was a ten pump shot.
Dave.....

Cross Pistol Packer

My 1389 Backpacker 19inch barrel & throwing .177 lead @ 800fps drops those tree rats dead, no problem out to my garden end wall, range of 18M
Crosmans, start as a hobby,then an obsession...

Crosshairs

Quote from: Cross Pistol Packer on June 11, 2013, 08:35:32 PM
My 1389 Backpacker 19inch barrel & throwing .177 lead @ 800fps drops those tree rats dead, no problem out to my garden end wall, range of 18M
How many pumps Cross ? I'm getting mid 650s with 10 pumps with Backpacker and only pump her 4 or5 times for birds.
                            Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!