• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

It arrived. Can't wait to get home and shoot it! Any pre-shoot checks?

Started by wahoowad, June 12, 2013, 07:52:19 PM

chongman

Long days and pleasant nights to you...

Tater

Quote from: agninja on June 14, 2013, 09:05:36 PM
Who'd you get to draw that picture? Michael J. Fox???
Quote from: breakfastchef on June 14, 2013, 10:05:33 PM
I cut and pasted chongman's last ECG!

You guys got me cracking up over here.    :)
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

KevinP

Kevin
Albany, New York

wahoowad

Thanks guys, very helpful posts.

I don't have any stones but have a dremel with a polishing wheel. It polishes things up but doesn't remove much material, probably none at all. I'll give it a try.

I *do* have a large fine arkansas stone for sharpening a knife. Do you think I could hold the sear and lightly clean up ay irregularity with that? 

Is it advisable to put a little bit of moly on that sear/hammer contact surface?

JEBert

Arkansas stone is one way to do it.  Try to hold it very steady and don't change any angles.
Polish it afterwards with the Dremel buffing wheel.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

wahoowad

I just got done...I used some 1000 sandpaper to remove the uneven manufacturing marks where the sear would touch the hammer, then polished it with a dremel polishing wheel and some polishing compound. Cleaned that off and it looked near mirror smooth. Then used a clean polishing wheel with some moly paste on it and did what I thought folks mean when they say they burnish in the moly...I just polished it with the moly paste and hope some went deeper into the pores  ???. Then put the tiniest micro dab of extra moly on it and put it back together. Felt better so I must have done something right!

bgmcgee

That should be baby butt smooth now  ;D I'm sure it is a big improvement.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

JEBert

Now that it is smoother, you can compress your sear spring some and make it a lighter pull.  Better yet would be to replace it with a lighter spring.  Be sure to test it afterwards to make sure that you cannot make it fire by bumping it around vigorously with the safety off.
Also, you can add a fired .22lr case upside-down in the top of the spring so it will ride smoother on the bottom of the sear.
Cheers,
Jerry
NRA Life Member

wahoowad

Shot it some - trigger much lighter and no roughness, but a mile of creep. Guess I'll worry about some trigger mod to help with that down the road.

Shot count seems low - really not sure what to expect. What should I get per standard cartridge - and when do you know when it is dropping off? When you start missing?  :P

JEBert

My 2300KT (in .22 cal) started dropping off around 40 shots.  My first indication was the drop of point-of-impact.  After I got used to it, I would not shoot a target for a score after about 38 shots unless I didn't mind the risk of screwing up that target.  From what I read here, that is about average.  If you only shoot paper, you can install a valve spacer and get into the70's.  If you want more power, you can do some valve and transfer port mods if you don't mind the drop in the shot count.
Jerry
NRA Life Member