• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Magnets

Started by AS13, June 15, 2013, 08:35:50 PM

AS13

I see a few dealers offering Crosman bolts with hold open magnets. Searching the web I came across this site. You can buy either the cylinder type magnets (drill hole and insert), or disc type that you could glue to the back of the bolt.
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=13
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=10
Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

"Anything made can be made better."

chongman

I purchased 50ea of 3mm x 1.5mm round Neo magnets (same that Don Cothran uses in his bolts) from ebay for $3.99 with free shipping. I only needed a couple of them but hey, the deal was sweet.
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

breakfastchef

I did that once to a bolt and was veyr happy with the end result. Charles Mellon claims you need only magnetize a bolt by running it over a magnet to get a similar result. Never tried it.
Larry

bgmcgee

I've wondered if that would work too Chef. There isn't a lot of weight so it wouldn't take much magnetic  energy.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

chongman

I have some scraps of samarium cobalt magnets, I'll try it later on.
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

AS13

Ordered a few disc and cylinder magnets from them to try out. Well see how they work out.
Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

bgmcgee

Inquiring minds want to know.  Keep us posted.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

AS13

Got em yesterday. They are some powerful little magnets. The biggest challenge was trying to drill a straight 1/8" hole in a 1/4" bolt with a hand drill >:( Installed 2 cylinder mags (1/8 X 1/4) in two of my bolts and glued a disc mag (1/8 X 1/32) on the other. They all worked great :-*

Crosman 2240-.22
Crosman 2400KT-.22
Crosman 357W-.177
Crosman M177-.177
Crosman Vigilante - .177
Umarex SA177- BB
Winchester M11-BB

breakfastchef

Nicely done. AS. I think all bolts should have magnets installed in the back. It just makes sense.
Larry

JMJinNC

Thanks for the link - just ordered some since I'll be pulling "the stapler" apart to install the new trigger assy.

JMJ
John

breakfastchef

Quote from: JMJinNC on June 21, 2013, 04:34:28 PM
Thanks for the link - just ordered some since I'll be pulling "the stapler" apart to install the new trigger assy.

JMJ

Methinks someone has a 1701P grip frame/trigger group.
Larry

JMJinNC

Quote from: breakfastchef on June 21, 2013, 05:00:23 PM
Methinks someone has a 1701P grip frame/trigger group.

:-*
John

Fronzdan

So probably dumb questions...

For the magnet mod to work, you need to have a steel rear cap on the breech, right?

The magnet surface would be what makes contact with the hammer pin when cocking?

You have to be careful that the hammer pin never hits the bolt/magnet when firing when the hammer slams forward and hits the valve pin. I had one that would hit the rear of the bolt at the end of the stroke.  Neodymium magnets tend to chip and break when struck by anything.

Colt25

Quote from: breakfastchef on June 15, 2013, 10:31:01 PM
I did that once to a bolt and was veyr happy with the end result. Charles Mellon claims you need only magnetize a bolt by running it over a magnet to get a similar result. Never tried it.

Yes, that works too. But it's not pertinent. You can also magnetize screwdrivers and hex keys with this:  http://www.magnetsource.com/Consumer%20Pages/Mag_Demag.html

JMJinNC

The magnet gets mounted on the bolt, which is held against the vertical pin on the hammer after cocking the gun (hammer held by sear). This holds the bolt open for pellet loading. Otherwise it can (and will) slide forward if the gun is held muzzle-down.

I'm pretty sure there is no contact at all between the hammer pin and the bolt when firing.

JMJ

John