• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Scope mod

Started by jSan22, July 05, 2013, 09:51:52 PM

jSan22

decided to throw the 3-9x40 i had back on the 1322, but i had a issue with it. the windage adjustment knob had a edge to it that made the scope crooked when mounted on the scope mounts on the 1322. so first, i tried to angle the scope mount with a knife. when that didnt work, tried sandpaper in fine grit and heavy grit. it wasnt doing much but just smoothing it down. then i took a drill, and used the shaft of the bit to try to grind it down.that failed also, but ground it down a little bit. then i looked at the scope, then thought that i could grind the edge down a bit, using a part of the drill that had a dimond checkering that rotated when the trigger was pulled. using it as a makeshift dremel, i ground it sort of round. it was a bit uneven, but it was smooth and not rough. fitted it on it and it was centered perfectly. took about a hour for me to do it. the part was too big, i had to be very careful because it was awfully close to the windage knob. i used a black sharpie to cover it up, you can barely notice it now. went downstairs and fired about 20 shots, sighted it in, and got consistent hole in hole groups. learned something new about the scope too. i found the knobs had numbers that represented click values that actually worked. set the windage at zero level and the shots were in line with the vertical crosshair. set it to zero on the vertical and it was 2 dots low. i settled on about 3 1/2 and shots where in the center. will post pics after my wrists stop hurting.

bgmcgee

Where there's a will and power tools there's a way. Nice work. :-*
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

jSan22

thanks. here is a pic of the work done and the sharpie over it. it works quite well.

bgmcgee

Man that was a tight fit.

jSan22

it was. no wonder it took so long. you cant even see out the other side.

crossliner

I would never do a mod like that..I want my equipment unmarked and unmolested I don't care if I have to spend more..Regards.

jSan22

that's just you though. I really don't care. if it works, then its worth it. the scope holds zero, it kills house sparrows, so that's all that matters.

twigboy

Quote from: jSan22 on July 06, 2013, 09:12:47 PM
that's just you though. I really don't care. if it works, then its worth it. the scope holds zero, it kills house sparrows, so that's all that matters.

I agree.  I have a Chinese air rifle which could never hit anything except at the distance I sighted in at.  Turned out the front and rear sights were never on the same vertical plane, so I took a grinder to the spot welded rear sight and mounted a UTG red dot using a 11 mm to Picatinny riser.  Nicked the barrel/tube a little :(  so I used the old permanent marker trick.  But now it can hit at any range although it just doesn't look right with the front sight always cantered to the right.  I don't know how to get rid of it so it stays.

woody67

Nice solution!
That must have been frustrating....grinding, checking, grinding, checking, etc, etc...

bgmcgee

Some people don't have the funding to keep throwing money at a problem.  I like the fix and the only one it matters to is the owner anyways.  Plus the quarry is still dispatched whether the gun is perfect looking or has a few nicks and scratches.

Fronzdan

Get yourself a dremel.  It's the gift that keeps on giving

bgmcgee

Quote from: Fronzdan on July 07, 2013, 04:16:58 PM
Ain't that the truth  :-*

crossliner

Quote from: bgmcgee on July 07, 2013, 01:38:28 PM
Some people don't have the funding to keep throwing money at a problem.  I like the fix and the only one it matters to is the owner anyways.  Plus the quarry is still dispatched whether the gun is perfect looking or has a few nicks and scratches.

Yes sir you are right. Regards.

rangerfredbob

Quote from: Fronzdan on July 07, 2013, 04:16:58 PM

And a file, a decent file would have made the process faster or at least smoother looking, but you gotta do what ya gotta do :), I've done stranger...
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...