Loc-tite scope mount adapters?

Started by Tater, July 23, 2013, 08:09:15 PM

BDS

Tater... what gun are you mounting this on, co2? pumper? PCP? if so, very little Loctite needed if any  ???
Brian

brz-ryder †

No need to loc-tite the adapter no screws to lock the scope will keep it tight. Just wondering why your doing it to the scope before you even know if you need to?

Jim
my shooters
Crosman 2240 stock
Crosman 2240 highly modded
Crosman 2240 polished
Crosman stubby 2240
Crosman 116 x3
Crosman Vigilante
Crosman 1861 shiloh
Daisy 1140
Beeman p17
ruger mark 1
hatsan supercharger 25 in .22
Crosman heritage 2260
Crosman AS2250XT
Winchester M14

Tater

It will be going on my 1377.  I guess I just thought I'd play it safe using Loctite ahead of time, but it sounds like I don't need to.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

chongman

Tater, nothing wrong with a small dab of blue loctite on the screws... a little security  ;)
Long days and pleasant nights to you...

Tater

Thanks sir.
My POI with old BSA red dot would drift every few days, but since I loctited, it's been fine. Now to just remove it and try the two new dots to compare them. I'll be returning one of them.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

Tater

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd add this here. As you can see in the pictures below, it looks like there are issues. The bottom screws on the rings are right in the way of where the adapter would sit. Since I've never used an adapter before, I hope there's something I'm missing because new rings aren't in the budget right now.

Edit to add: The scope has a significant green tint when looking through it. Could this be normal? My BSA is totally clear.

Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

bgmcgee

That adapter has the slot in it that should fit around that screw.  Should work fine and I wouldn't try to put locktite on the adapter no need.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

cherokeesteve

The screw in the bottom of the rings should fit inside the slot on the top of the adaptor.  I've got those adaptors on a couple of my guns. The tightening of the screw on the bottom of the rings squeezes the adapter and I haven't used loktite on mine. I ditch the set screw that sticks up through the adapter, I believe it's for high recoil guns, prevents movement.
I'm like a lactating mother...I don't mind pumping

1377 w/green dot/laser, 2240 modded, T4 modded, 2289 modded, M4-177 modded, 2400 KT in CO2 and HPA.

Tater

Quote from: bgmcgee on July 24, 2013, 02:55:08 AM
That adapter has the slot in it that should fit around that screw.  Should work fine and I wouldn't try to put locktite on the adapter no need.

Thanks BGmcee, I've made a fool of myself here again.
Seeing as the slot is centered on the adapters, it give me no flexibility to mount the scope forward of the area to load a pellet. It will have to be mounted over the opening. I'll have to try it out to see if there's room to load it, it's gonna sit pretty low though.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

cherokeesteve

Quote from: bgmcgee on July 24, 2013, 02:55:08 AM

Beat me to it!
I'm like a lactating mother...I don't mind pumping

1377 w/green dot/laser, 2240 modded, T4 modded, 2289 modded, M4-177 modded, 2400 KT in CO2 and HPA.

Tater

Thanks for the info on the set screw Steve. I'd rather not scratch up the breech with it if it seems to hold tight, so I'll try it without.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

Fronzdan

Yeah that dot sight you have needs to straddle the breech opening.  It will be pretty low, cutting down on your access.  You might be able to roll a pellet over the edge with your finger, but medium height rings would be better.

These would work for you...
http://www.amazon.com/AccuShot-Premium-Mid-Profile-Airgun-1-Inch/dp/B001WJ4TKK/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1374628954&sr=8-22&keywords=medium+scope+rings

You don't need the adapters with these...save em for another build.

Tater

I might have to resort to that at some point Fronzdan. I went and installed it, it looks like it wouldn't be too tough to load but I have to try it tomorrow, still haven't eaten dinner yet.

Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

bgmcgee

I like it. :-*Looks from here you should be able to load pellets, looks to be as much room I have on my 1377.
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"