• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Indoor shooting range

Started by agninja, August 13, 2013, 02:55:35 PM

agninja

So I moved into a new townhouse recently. I was pleased to find out that I could sit at one end of the house and open the inside door to the garage and have a good 20 yards of distance for a shooting range. I fashioned a target from a hard book cover, some plastic bags, and then taped a 67 page magazine to the back. Just to be safe I put all of our flattened moving boxes behind the target as a backstop.

I got out the 1377 and put about 9 or 10 pumps in it. It sounded like a gunshot when it went off. The hard floors and walls made for bad accoustics. Hope the neighbors don't get mad.  I shot again, this time only 7 pumps. I went and checked the target and BOTH shots went straight through the target and imbedded deep into the boxes! Glad it didn't go into my garage door. :-XI realized that I was using pointed pellets which have good penetration, but still. Blasted through two layers of book cover, two layers of plastic, bunched up plastic bags, AND a 67 page magazine. And still imbedded deep into the boxes behind it.

Black air pistols matter.

Tater

Maybe a TKO would help with the noise and a duct seal trap would be safer.
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

AaronMB

Good stuff, AGN.

Quote from: Tater on August 13, 2013, 03:17:50 PM
Maybe a TKO would help with the noise and a duct seal trap would be safer.
From my own experience, they are both good things, especially with close-by neighbors. The loudest thing is the pellet piercing the paper. :)
While I only have about 10 yards to work with inside, I don't go more than 5 pumps, just in case. Cardboard isn't that dense and it shoots out quickly.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." -Twain

1377x

i use a box stuffed with plastic grocery bags. when i say stuffed that mean there is no more room for any more bags even after compression. best free backstop/pellet trap i have made, low noise impact. i use an accustoms 9" shroud which has sound dampening qualities.
i use full pumps 10-18 pumps with a slight closed mouth cough sound the pellet sails on down to the box, on impact it sounds like i thumped the box, not like shooting a phone book which sounds like i dropped it from a 10 story building when the pellet hits
closed mouths dont get fed

agninja

The target is in the garage, which butts up against the neighbors garage on one side, so any noise in there wouldn't really reach into the neighbors house.  While it is loud, it's not like it's BAM BAM BAM BAM in rapid succession. With the 1377 and 2289 it takes a while to pump, reload, aim, and shoot.  It'd be kind of hard to complain about a loud noise that occurs for only a fraction of a second every few minutes. I already thought about it and if someone does knock on the door I'll just tell them I'm building some furniture and using a nail gun.
Black air pistols matter.

1377x

funny ;D
hopefully the walls arent paper thin . the neighbors might get annoyed by the pumping rather than the shooting.
closed mouths dont get fed

BDS

Two layers or folds of heavy carpet does more to stop pellets (at 600 fps or less) than 50 plastic bags stuffed in a box. The loose hanging carpet inside a box (like two drapes on a curtain rod) absorbs a lot of energy due to the dispersion of that energy across the weave and the movement of the carpet during impact. If you can find heavy, Kevlar fabric, it's even better. Behind that should be some more carpet attached to a a 3/4" board cut to size for a true backstop. Oh ya, wadcutters or domes, not pointed pellets.
Brian