• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Tuning Suggestions

Started by RetatCDude, August 18, 2013, 07:54:23 PM

RetatCDude

I have a 1701P (well, Crosman has it for warranty work). Are there any tuning suggestions?
Crosman 2300s
Crosman 2240XL

breakfastchef

Read throught the A-Team PCP Tuning Procedures. Though written about the Marauder, it still has pertinence to the 1701P. I am still trying to wrap my arms around the relationship between hammer spring tension and hammer stroke.

http://ateam.alotspace.com/Crosman.htm

Oh, and get a set of custom grips so it is more comfortable in your hand.
Larry

arkmaker †

When I had mine, I found that simply tuning it per the manual to my own tastes was all I ever wanted for it. It already has the best trigger Crosman makes and once you get it adjusted to your liking it is very predictable and breaks crisply. Some guys have swapped out the transfer port and brought it up to the 1720 range of fps. There are threads on them here, on the yellow and also the green forums if you are ever inclined for more power. Me? I liked shooting around 500 fps and having a full 40-50 shots before pumping.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

RetatCDude

Thanks. I have two Marauders and read the A-Team stuff several times.
I agree with you on the two relationships.
Stroke is how far the valve opens: further, more air. More speed.
Tension is how fast the hammer travels back to the valve. More tension, faster hammer, but not necessarily more speed, but could be less air than with further hammer travel. Efficient!
When shooting a properly tuned PCP there should be a curve, i.e. the air in the reservoir is stronger than the hammer travel/tension. Low speeds. LEFT BOTTOM OF THE BELL
Then as the pressure in the reservoir lessons, the hammer travels further, longer, so more air is released: Faster speeds. TOP OF THE BELL
Then air in the reservoir lessons and lower speeds: RIGHT BOTTOM OF THE BELL.
For extended shooting sessions at know distances a flat string, i.e., adjusting the hammer stroke/tension to get close to the same speed throuhout the entire string.
I hope this not confusing.... :-*
Crosman 2300s
Crosman 2240XL

breakfastchef

Very excellent explanation. I've been messing with settings on my Challenger, but have not done any stroke adjustments. With @100 good shots for 10m target shooting, I only am making minor hammer spring changes. I may have to start paying more attention to stroke.
Larry

Tater

Great explanation RetatCDude.  :-*
Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs