• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

How are the barrel held in the standard plastic breech

Started by Hunter2011, October 12, 2013, 05:41:13 AM

Hunter2011

As in the title. From what I understand, the barrel band is the only thing holding the barrel in place. Is this true?

rangerfredbob

the barrel band and the breech, the transfer port and the set screw in the barrel band (on everything but the 1377 and 1322) are all that keep the barrel from rotating, that's why a lot of people don't like the little 4-48 front breech screws
Near McMinnville, Oregon

Have me many an airgun :), count is 102 now...

1377x

pretty much as rangerfredbob says
you can always put your own set screw like this in

i was messing around one day and added it freehand as you can see the first attempt was off
drilled a small hole over the transfer port ran a 6-32 grub screw directly into it. the soft plastic tapped itself. it holds pretty tight for what it is
closed mouths dont get fed

Hunter2011

Now I see why people fork out so much for a steel breech.
I owned a 1740 once that was built and sold by Crookedbarn.com. Actually I was the second owner. I sold the 1740 to a friend. He said he will never sell it :)
Point is at least I have experience with the steel breech. It was not all positive though. Only one of the scope mounts I had clamped as hard to the dovetail mount as it should have. The other one mere clamped enough not to move. Might be the mounts, might have been the breech.
It was a great gun but I was pestered so much by my friend that I sold it to him. I shoot with it every time I visit him. I miss it. It was very accurate.
I bought the wood grips for my new 2240 from him as the pistol got the carbine stock, and he will never use the grips. But to my surprise they don't fit my 2240!
I will have to mod them somewhat to fit. I thought they are all standard and one fits all. Seems not to be the case.

1377x

iirc the 2 screw grip frame and the new 3 screw grip frame are slightly different
i noticed when i put the new grips on my phase 2 grip frame they dont either.
closed mouths dont get fed