• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Can you file away the print on the side of the pistol.

Started by Hunter2011, October 12, 2013, 12:58:26 PM

Hunter2011

As above. I want to let the right hand side to be just as smooth as the left hand side. But will I not reduce the wall thickness to a point where it can be dangerous? I will never sell the 2240.

Flex

Quote from: Hunter2011 on October 12, 2013, 12:58:26 PM
As above. I want to let the right hand side to be just as smooth as the left hand side. But will I not reduce the wall thickness to a point where it can be dangerous? I will never sell the 2240.
This is one of the first things that I thought of when I noticed just how much "verbage" that the legal system in the U.S. forces manufacturers to print onto their products (not just airguns, as we all know!) I would much rather see just "CROSMAN ~2240~" with the caliber printed beneath.
I'll be watching this thread to see what the forum suggests and to see what you do. I'm thinking that you might be able to take a fair amount of metal away without affecting safety too much. The tube merely contains the internal mechanisms and is not actually subjected to much stress.
Chuck the tube up in a lathe and run some pretty aggressive emery cloth over it as it spins. Once the wording has been removed, use finer abrasives to get the finish you want. That way the surface will remain even and true. I think that using a file might result in what might be called "bubba work". Since some telltale remnants of the stamping may still be noticeable once the metal feels smooth, you could apply Duracoat or Ceracoat (or something similar) to totally hide the "blemishes".
Be sure to take a before photo and sequential progress pics so we can all view your project's progress. Flex
Daisy Power Line 92
Crosman 781 Single-Pump rifle
Crosman Fury Break barrel springer
Crosman BackPacker 2289g
Crosman 1322c
Crosman 1377c
Crosman PowerMaster 760 SC
Crosman 1377 (2nd variant)
Crosman PumpMaster 760
Chinese B-3-? .177cal
Crosman 2240 (now .177 carbine hybrid)
Daisy 105 B
Crosman A*I*R 17 Single-Pump rifle (Phase I)
Crosman 140 .22cal rifle (Fourth Variant)
Black Ops "Exterminator" CO2  BB revolver
Chinese B 3-1 .22 cal
Bemjamin 132 .22 cal pump pistol
Hatsan TAC-BOSS 250XT CO2 BB pistol
Crosman 1008 RepeatAIR .177cal CO2 pellet pistol
Daisy 717 target pistol

karatekid1975

Maybe it's possible with the thinner lettering, but the ~2240~ part is in there pretty deep. It is, what we called at Crosman, roll stamped. It all was depended on how much pressure was on the roller. I've done some that were really light (which was an issue with Crosman but they used them anyway). But there is the "norm" where the lettering is pretty deep. That's honestly something I wouldn't mess with unless I had a spare tube incase I screw it up.
Laurie

Crosman 2240 pistol
Crosman Quest 1000x rifle
Crosman stock 760 (1972) pump master
RWS 34 Diana rifle
Former Crosman employee ;)

1377x

depends on the gun i would think. i dont think i would ever try to remove the roll stamp i might try some bondo or silver solder to fill in the impressions. why do that when there are custom shop tubes available and some 13xx laser etched tubes floating around
the 2xxx guns have tubes without the roll stamp and there is a limited number or 13xx tubes that are laser etched like the custom shop guns
closed mouths dont get fed

Crosshairs

Fill it with lead it's a old auto bodywork trick i use to do many years ago. You will need to clean the area real good and heat the area up and just fill what ever you need to with the head, then just sand smooth be sure to wear a dust mask.
                        Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

arkmaker †

I understand exactly what you are saying...work with what you have! So, I agree with 1377 that using some kind of filler and then resmoothing and refinishing is a way to go. Then again, that is going to be a hassle for sure as so far I have found these tubes to not be very friendly to taking bluing. That leaves paint or powder coating.

A couple of alternatives that you might want to think about.
Alliance hobby has smooth tube for sale in any powder coated color you may want...but this costs $$
A no expense trick would be to steal your wife's finger nail polish in the color you like and do the stamped words that you want to see. Yes, the other stamping will still be there, but your eyes with be drawn to the filled in stamping and trick your mind into not noticing the other crap.....worked well for me  :-*  I like the look very much. In fact, I am going inside to do one right now......now that I am thinking about it!

Rich

Edit: Add pics... 15 minutes or so work. Still need to add another coat to fully fill the stampings. Trust me, it looks better than my picture shows. Actually, it is a bright metallic red......no, no hot pink ;-)
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

woody67

Quote from: Crosshairs on October 12, 2013, 03:45:04 PM
Fill it with lead it's a old auto bodywork trick i use to do many years ago. You will need to clean the area real good and heat the area up and just fill what ever you need to with the head, then just sand smooth be sure to wear a dust mask.
                        Mike

Mike, where the heck is he going to get any lead?

???

arkmaker †

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

arkmaker †

Any way you slice it, it going to be a nightmare to get the tube back to looking good.

woody67

Quote from: woody67 on October 12, 2013, 04:49:11 PM
Mike, where the heck is he going to get any lead?

???

I was joking.... We all pretty much have endless supplies of lead!

karatekid1975

Quote from: woody67 on October 13, 2013, 02:14:09 AM

And the pellet tins make great plinkers  ;) Anywho, I agree with these guys. I think filling it in is a better idea.
Laurie

Crosman 2240 pistol
Crosman Quest 1000x rifle
Crosman stock 760 (1972) pump master
RWS 34 Diana rifle
Former Crosman employee ;)

Crosshairs

Quote from: woody67 on October 13, 2013, 02:14:09 AM
I caught it woody.
                                Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

quickster47 †

Sounds like woody sat on a pellet or two and had to go to the doctor to get the lead out.  :D

Arl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †