• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

How Many Pumps and How Much Time!?

Started by BDS, November 11, 2013, 10:08:17 PM

BDS

Since I have been on here, I have read dozens of posts with reports of 12, 20, 40 and someone even posted "60" pumps on the 13XX platforms  :D
For me, the question(s) beg to be answered,

How long does it take to pump 20 or, 40 times?

What do you get (fps or m.e.) in return?

Is this just for target shooting or... does that squirrel or other prey actually take a nap while you pump?

How well do the linkage parts and tube (sheet steel) hold up to this effort/ strain?

I know a little bit about pumpers and valve systems and anything past 12 or 15 seems extreme!  ???
Brian

KevinP

I have read this also ......

Guess I am lazy .....

co2 for me all the way ....

my 1300 I only pump 3 times which is fine  and dead on at 5m .... 
  :-*
Kevin
Albany, New York

BDS

Ya, 5 or 6 pumps for 10 meter shootin with the 1377, same for the 2289.

I'm just wondering out loud how you hunt with 20+ pumps?
Brian

Trophyhunter49

A couple of my 13XXs I have pumped up to 20 times! I usualy pump 15 !  With the Flat Top pump and valve
15 does great. I get around 850 FPS out of them , but they have 24" barrels. They are great for target and squirrels. After a kill on a squirrel I pump it back up and them start lookin for another one. I shoot Crosman HPs in them. I hope this will help you!
   Mike

BDS

Ok, it was more obvious than I thought... Pump (12-20), stalk prey, one-shot (another type of "pray"), if missed, pump again and wait for prey to return.

Still, seems all the clickin & clackin of pumping would drive away the smaller prey in a 100 yard circle?
Brian

WyoMan

Usually 5 pumps for target and plinking...when I don't lose count  :D
13 is the most I've ever done because they develop over 40 lbs closing force and that took about 30 seconds
don't think its possible to pump mine past 15

Wyo
Welcome to your life :)
Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

Trophyhunter49

Quote from: BDS on November 11, 2013, 10:48:43 PM
Ok, it was more obvious than I thought... Pump (12-20), stalk prey, one-shot (another type of "pray"), if missed, pump again and wait for prey to return.

Still, seems all the clickin & clackin of pumping would drive away the smaller prey in a 100 yard circle?
;D ;DJust don't miss ;D ;D  You can pump it slow and with little sound but you have to work at it.

Crosshairs

From my view i beef up the pumpers so i can just pump 10 or even less times and get more power then a stock 10 pumps so less pumping more power. I really only pump 15 times max for hunting.
                            Mike
Treat people the way you want to be treated, Life will be so much better !!!

bgmcgee

I'm with Croshairs on this one. I did the flat top to get good speed on minimal pumping which for me fits my laziness.  ;D
"I've lost what's left of my right mind"

K.O.

Me  I have had fun going through a couple tins of pellets tuning and getting to know my pumpers. I am sticking with the stock pump cup  and just going to  mod the valve and mild porting on my 1322.

I would like to  enlarge valve size  from .1 to  .13 in order to have psi  at the end of the 14.5 barrel about  220 or so

stock is around 208 or so and right now it should be down around to around 158...

that means once enlarged I will have to pump about 3 more times to reach the same pressures.

the fact that there is more give in a rubber pump cup than a flat top setup should help durability while still supplying the cam over effect.

right now I am shooting 20-25-30 yards stock, 20-25 yards with 10 pumps and 30 yards with 12 pumps puts it back to no holdover.

after I finish tuning  I will buy a plinker to play, with and shoot my tuners enough to keep my self tuned...

Going after quail, rabbit and dove when young they were skittish enough that the first shot had to count  especially with powder burners...

1322XLT(2100/13XX hybyid)750 fps @ 16 pumps w/CPHP 14.3g

MK1322(2240/13XX/MK177 hybrid) 805 fps at @ 22 pumps w/14.3g CPHP

about 5 more 13xxs
Two Daisy 953(# 31x Jan. 1985) & (Sept 2004)
2100b (with old style piston)
.25 Mrod (50fpe tune)
.177 BSA Buccaneer (on the way)

Gippeto

Quote from: BDS on November 11, 2013, 10:08:17 PMHow long does it take to pump 20 or, 40 times?

What do you get (fps or m.e.) in return?

Dunno how long it takes...never timed it. Only pumper I ever pumped 40 times was a modded up .177 with a 20" barrel. Never saw what I'd consider "heavy" use...doubt I put more than a tin of pellets through it in that configuration. It was put together for starlings which to this day continue to occupy a spruce tree "exactly" 55 yards from my porch (not the exact same birds though ;) ). Shot like a laser (7.9gr CPHP @ 980fps on the chrony).

By that time, I was already replacing the roll pin as a matter of course with one made from drill rod and held by E clips. These cannot "walk" or work their way out. I do believe the holes in the tube stretch somewhat...enough that I started changing out the roll pins at any rate.

Ran a .22cal pumper as my main gopher shooting rig for a couple years and did put a LOT of pellets through that one. 15 pumps was "standard", with 25 being used for shots beyond ~40 yards. 15 pumps yielded ~650fps w/ 14.3grain CPHP. 25 pumps was ~720fps w/14.3gr.

Al

Cross Pistol Packer

For me I go for 15 pumps max,timed this, takes 23 secs.
I have pumped to 20x,but you get diminishing returns for the effort after 15 pumps,and with my build on my 1389 some air retained in valve past 18 pumps.
Crosmans, start as a hobby,then an obsession...

Cwlongshot

I read one post where the author regularly pumped 50+ times and said the same thing... WHY?!?

I also have a FTP/V on a 1377 with arm mods for durability and routinely pump past 10. Usually to 15/17 but never past 20, for shooting critters. Probably don't "need" it but with the TKO the blamed this feels and sounds so lame it dosent "seem to have " power. ;) any more than 20 my valve dosent e
Completely evacuate anyway so it's wasted.

I have cronies mine to 800 with light pellets compared to a bit over 600 for 10. So yes define alter ya improvement with more pumps

For plinking absolutely 5/7 is more than plenty. ;)

CW
BENJAMIN's: 392PA '11 • Marauder .25 • MAC1 tuned Disco .22 • 397P Nickle '81

CROSMAN's:  1389 Back Packer .20 '86 • Hawthorne M140 4th variant • 357 W/8'' '90 • 760 '75 • 1377 '13 CARBINE LOTS ''O'' Mods • 2200 Magnum '81 (First Gen) • 2100 '13 • 2240 '13 

DAISY's:  25 '10 • Red Ryder • 22X • 922

DIANA's:  34 .22 '05 (RWS)

SHERIDAN's:  Blue Streak '82  Steroid • Blue Streak '65 Steroid • Blue Streak '70 • Blue Streak '72 • C9 Blue Streak

WEBLY's:  Longbow .177 • Hurricane  .177

XISICO's:  XS60c .22 PCP

woody67

I had one 1377 that I turned into a .22 cal
I put a heavy hammer spring in, and changed the stock valve spring to a very light one. I had a flat top piston in it too...

I made a vid of pumping it 40 times and dumping all the air on one shot. I don't know if it's still around, but I will look for it.

I agree, the pumpers for hunting you pretty much get one shot. If you hit the animal, and it's not dead immediately, you have to start pumping as fast as you can and get it over with. Sometimes in the time it takes to pump, the critter gets away...and that injured animal is on you. Its up to you to decide if you care or not...
But if you miss that one shot completely, you more than likely won't get another one for a while.

I don't like pumping.
I like co2 sometimes...when it's not 95 out and my shots are all over the place that is!
Over all I prefer pcp guns. Just shoot until you're ready to refill, then keep shooting!

onebaddj

ive pumped mine up to 20 pumps but anything after 15 held air and anything after 12 realy did nothing for the efforts. i do have a stock hammer sprig though so it could get higher velocity but i dont like the effort of pumping it that much. read one thread where a guy pumped his 50 times i think it was. i laughed cause of how hard that had to be. gotta applaud the guy for his sfferts. that had to be hard.
i wasnt born with enough middle fingers. Marolyn manson.