• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

air stripper

Started by Bud, August 13, 2015, 04:13:12 AM

Bud

Can someone please explain to me the purpose of an air stripper. Is it similar to a compensator?

mudduck48

Isn't that a girl that jumps out of an airplane and takes her close of while falling?  :-[
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

agninja

No, it's different than a compensator. A compensator has to do with reducing recoil. An air stripper is designed to reduce turbulence around the projectile, which might otherwise effect accuracy.
Black air pistols matter.

Stranded in California.

oconeedan

I found that a 444 Marlin cartridge brass, will fit nearly perfectly on the standard Crosman barrel.  And if I resize, maybe perfectly.  I was thinking of removing the spent primer, drilling out the flash hole to a size just larger then my pellet (.22 cal).  Then cut slots or holes at the sides near the end of the brass.  Thus, a home made stripper.

Surely, someone else has already tried this?

I'm just not sure it is worth the effort, as my 1322 shoots fairly accurately enough...would need a better scope to tighten up groups as it is.
Diana 54
Daisy Red Ryder
Crosman 1322

oconeedan

Hmm, thinking out loud, if a 444 Marlin brass fits the Crosman barrel, then the 44 mag / special brass should also, it would just make a shorter stripper.
I was thinking if it is a tight slip fit, hold in place with LocTite retaining compound (not the same as thread lockers).
Diana 54
Daisy Red Ryder
Crosman 1322

anuthabubba

Quote from: mudduck48 on August 13, 2015, 04:24:57 AM
Isn't that a girl that jumps out of an airplane and takes her close of while falling?  :-[

Stopped by one day to visit a friend who owned a Pharmacy and he called me back to his office to look at something. It was a video he found online, of a female skydiving nude, as she rotated in the freefalling 'box man' position. On every rotation, I couldn't help but laugh at the contrast between her smiling face and the sight of her 'lips' flapping in the slipstream.

"There ain't no guru, can see through your eyes."

Poorman Plinker

the airstrippers I have seen (sorry to be talking about airguns LOL) are not just open or flat on the end. The ones that seem like they would be most effective have a tube near the end for the shot to pass through and to force the turbulent gasses away through the outer slots. Without the tube it seems you have a standard muzzle brake/comensator.  8)
The above information is written for entertainment purposes only; it applies only to the arms, equipment  and conditions under which the author's conclusions were drawn and should never be used as a substitute for professional assistance. The author assume no liability for damages (actual, incidental or consequential) resulting from use of the information or for the correctness of the information contained herein. The information is most likely not applicable to your situation and it cannot be generalized to any other equipment or conditions. Use of the information is at the users risk.

beerhippy

I have a .308 brass case that I drilled the primer pocket out on.  Installed it in the muzzle end of a brass shroud.  Stabilizes the .22 pellet nicely.  Going to try a .243 case on one of my .177 guns.
Man, that was close!

arkmaker †

Simplified Air Stripper
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Gippeto

Air stripper/compensator. Len (LeanardJ/Supermatic) Told me they had an effect on airguns...doubted it but tried it anyways. Len was right (as usual)...dead nuetral when fired...no muzzle rise. Shrunk 10m groups as well.

Made for a benchrest shooter in California...have been told it's working VERY well. 8)

In my experience, air strippers do work to reduce group size. Whether the effect is as a result of stripping muzzle blast from behind the pellet, or tuning barrel harmonics at this point hasn't been settled to my satisfaction. Barrel tuners would sure be easier to make. ;)

Al

mudduck48

Looks like you got a good one. 8)
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Trophyhunter49

MellonAir made some at one time but not any on his web site now!

arkmaker †

Hey! Did I make that brass one?

The one on the bottom is a best over-all design I have seen for one. I think I'll try my hand at something similar someday. Opens up a whole new area for experimentation for me!!!
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

Gippeto

Not that one. Have made and played with a few. :)

Al