• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

unsafe gadget failure

Started by Oil Dripper, September 13, 2015, 05:00:28 AM

Oil Dripper

oldgearhead

Wow! Be careful out there.I wonder if unsafe gadget has enough insurance and legal representation. Isn't this the second major injury. On the other hand the part where you remove the pressure from the air-gun before servicing happened when the video recorder device was off? 
It's also strange everytime I type the name of some Texas company the words (unsafe gadget) appear instead...strange indeed...
J-B or GooGone?
Tissue test and Q-tips
JSB Exact or LUM-77?
Longer barrel?

jSan22

I believe use of the term to describe unsafe gadget is banned here and there. People think its a legit design that works fine but it appears to be unsafe. That video there is proof of this.

Gippeto

Video proves that using something in a fashion in which it was not intended can have consequences.

Was never intended to be used with a disco valve. Sealing diameters and force generated are VASTLY different.

Too many details are missing, video of the gun tube is a little fuzzy (can't tell for sure how the valve is secured) and for me...the story is just not adding up.

Will reserve judgement until all the details are revealed.

Al

ped

agree with Al first of all the guys a ******* for stripping a a fully charged pcp
how did the valve turn 180* so the valve front went into his leg first?
was the disco valve secured properly in the tube (doesn't look like it) why would the valve come out of the back when the ***** or tub threads failed?
how did they manage to seal a 2250 ***** to a longer valve that hasn't a sealing surface in the middle but seals to the tube?
something very fishy about that video
I am also active on https://ukchineseairgunforum.com

beerhippy

Bizzare.  Wonder if the nimrod removed the screw(s) holding the valve in place?  Seems unlikely that the xxxxx threads would fail at the same time the valve became a missle.  Documenting stupidity appears to be a growing national phenomenon. .......

Yesterday I got 700 fps on my 24" .177 2400.  Thats plenty of gusto for me.
Man, that was close!

oldgearhead

I wouldn't even remove the hammer, barrel, and transfer port before de-pressuring my puny PC77. I value my eyesight.
J-B or GooGone?
Tissue test and Q-tips
JSB Exact or LUM-77?
Longer barrel?

arkmaker †

Un-locking the topic and seeing how it goes. Please keep it civil (do not really need to mention that with you guys, but felt I had to).

That said, I can't see the video, so I can not comment  :(
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

arkmaker †

If you haven't seen this thread over on the Yellow, then this is a good place to pick it up......two guys that are pretty well respected for their engineering and common sense with airguns..... they make pretty good sense to me.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/message/1442874969/If+he+unscrewed+the+one+and+only+valve+retaining+screw+to+remove+the+gripframe...

Now, as for the adapter in question? I have to admit to buying one and seeing what all the hub bub was about. At the time I bought mine, the mfg did not recommend adding extra screws in the side of the tube to hold (pin) the valve and was going on the premise that the sole bottom valve retaining screw was enough to hold the added pressure of HPA. I actually pinned my tube with the extra two screws because it just made sense, but also because I am old enough to know that I would eventually use this contraption on a pistol that did not have the extra pins, I sold it shortly after. I really did not see any advantage for the price and hassle over using Co2. That was a few years ago and since then the mfg recommends that you add the extra retaining screws (or so I have been told). Maybe someone can confirm this?

I'm still in the camp that thinks it is a great concept, but and to me this is a really big but, with potential increased forces of HPA exerted on a single screw of a 22xx pistol/carbine that what is stock and relying on the average person to add two more drilled and tapped holes with screws to this stock pistol/carbine is the flaw of the concept...... The average joe is just not going to do that (or may not be capable of) and end up relying on the single screw........ and now we have seen the failure and the result of the relying on a single screw. Sucks on both ends if you ask me honestly. Human nature is to capitalize on a good idea and it is also human nature to take shortcuts when it comes to safety. Just my 2-cents worth.
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

agninja

There are thousands of mods you can buy online for airguns. However, this is the only one that the computer automatically converts the word to "unsafe something".  You see, I don't need that in my life. If the computer is smart enough to tell me that the thing I'm thinking about purchasing is unsafe, then it's not for me.
Black air pistols matter.

oldgearhead

The main fact seems to be the tube was pressurized. So while your adding the extra valve screws, why not add a hole in the tube just ahead of the valve?
J-B or GooGone?
Tissue test and Q-tips
JSB Exact or LUM-77?
Longer barrel?

Brutuz

Quote from: agninja on September 23, 2015, 03:34:05 AM
There are thousands of mods you can buy online for airguns. However, this is the only one that the computer automatically converts the word to "unsafe something".  You see, I don't need that in my life. If the computer is smart enough to tell me that the thing I'm thinking about purchasing is unsafe, then it's not for me.

It's not your computer but the forum software that translated the items name into unsafe gadget. I instructed the forum software to do so.

For reasons mentioned here http://www.crosman-air-pistol-owners-forum.com/board/index.php/topic,1228.0.html
I do not want this forum to be associated with this item, like showing up in a Google search result.

Furthermore factory pcp shooters have a gauge showing to which max level to fill. The unsafe gadget does not have a gauge.

It's not always the buyer/owner who operates the item in question. The item doesn't have instructions engraved like the Crosman Custom Shop tubes have instructions engraved.
Someone without knowledge might get it in his or her possession and screw up, like overfill it for instance. Do keep this in mind: all you own, you own temporarily... You might not be around to instruct the next owner.
My Crosman pistols / My non-crosman collection /
I am also active on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum & sometimes on the GTA as well

T191032

We can sit around and "Monday Morning Quarterback it", but the fact remains a customized pressurized airgun was being dis-assembled (first big mistake) leading to someone getting hurt means we ALL need to be careful not matter what when performing maintenance.

Have a good day. Be safe
It ain't like it used to be but, eh, it's do.

mudduck48

HURT,OUCH!! This is why I stay away from PCP guns. Just the thought of having something up to my face with 3500 to 4500psi, nope, no thank you. :P
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

AZAG

I have watched the video several times especially the disassembly portion and I didn't see any valve retaining screws on the sides of the tube.  The claim is made that the gun exploded while in his lap however he says that it happened while he was just removing the stock.  So he was removing the one screw holding the valve in which also holds the grip on...while the gun was charged with air.  This sounds more like extreme operator error to me.  Anyway if you really want to jump from CO2 to HPA just buy a disco tube.