• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Need help - 1701P frame and steel breech install

Started by FLplinker, March 02, 2016, 03:11:37 AM

FLplinker

I bought the 1701P trigger frame assembly from Crosman. Bought the 1701 solid hammer with notch from Charlie and I forget who I bought the steel breech from. I have assembled it and the bolt stops about 1/4-1/8" from being all the way forward. It doesn't get far enough forward to lower into the locking groove. >:( >:( >:(

What have I done wrong? I appreciate any advise from the experts here on the board.

Trophyhunter49

???  It sounds like the small screw in the breech is not down all the way !!  Does your breech have the screw in the barrel end of the breech !  ??? ???

BillK

First thought is the small breech screw isn't turned in all the way.  Will have to loosen the large rear breech screw and then tighten the small screw. 
Second thought is turn the bold handle out a turn or so & see if the will go forward a little more.  I have had bolt handles that go too far through the bolt and hang up.
.22 bolt---.177 barrel?
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

quickster47 †

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

quickster47 †

Could also have a wrong bolt for your barrel.  A .22 caliber bolt will not seat in a .177 caliber barrel.  Close, but no cigar.

What is the caliber of your barrel/gun?

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

FLplinker

FLplinker

Quote from: Trophyhunter49 on March 02, 2016, 03:26:33 AM
???  It sounds like the small screw in the breech is not down all the way !!  Does your breech have the screw in the barrel end of the breech !  ??? ???
Thanks everyone. I answered responses backwards (later responses to me 1st.) It was the small breech screw.  :o I was so afraid of stripping the head out, I didn't put enough umph into it when I screwed it down and it was juuusssst slightly above the counter sink.  Thanks again Trophyhunter and all who responded. I'm going to chrono my shots after the upgrade (not just frame and breech). I also have a longer barrel, new flat top piston, larger transfer port, extended probe, power adjuster, and a moderator. I put about 50 shots through the stock old thing to compare against my mods. I will update with more detail when I get done. :-*

Noah

Quote from: FLplinker on March 02, 2016, 09:54:26 PM
Thanks everyone. I answered responses backwards (later responses to me 1st.) It was the small breech screw.  :o I was so afraid of stripping the head out, I didn't put enough umph into it when I screwed it down and it was juuusssst slightly above the counter sink.  Thanks again Trophyhunter and all who responded. I'm going to chrono my shots after the upgrade (not just frame and breech). I also have a longer barrel, new flat top piston, larger transfer port, extended probe, power adjuster, and a moderator. I put about 50 shots through the stock old thing to compare against my mods. I will update with more detail when I get done. :-*

Right on and glad it all worked out. Anxiously awaiting your report  :-*
"Money is like fertilizer: When it's hoarded, it stinks. When spread around, cool stuff grows." John Densmore, drummer of The Doors

Crosman 1377, 1322, 1325, 1750, 2250 and 2540, Benjamin Steroid 392, IB QB78D, Avanti/Daisy 853, Slavia 634.

Trophyhunter49

quickster47 †

Glad you have it fixed and that it was nothing more serious.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

FLplinker

Quote from: Noah on March 03, 2016, 12:41:28 AM
Right on and glad it all worked out. Anxiously awaiting your report  :-*

Flat top piston ruined my results!!! >:( >:( >:(

1st salvo of mods were:
Buttstock
Power Adjuster
SS Roll Pin Replacement w/Torx Screw ends
"Boss Buddy" High Flow Transfer Port
12" Barrel
SS Long Bolt Probe
Crosman Backpacker Forearm Pump Arm
Crosman Lg Red Dot Sight
Crosman Steel Breech Kit
1701P Trigger Frame Assembly
Ribbed Trigger Shoe
Solid Hammer with Notch

Bought a Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital for making measurements. Going from stock to above mods resulted in improvements. I will list after I resolve what happened after last upgrade. I installed a brass piston with aluminum flat top valve and my readings didn't match expectations.

I chrono'd 5 shots with odd number of pumps up to 7, and then went by 1 pump until 10. There were good improvements between stock and above mods. Then I did the last mod and when I hit 9 pumps the readings went South. 8 pumps were in the mid 600 fps. 9 pumps went as follows and I quit after the 2nd shot. 587 and 513. WTH!!!! >:(

I had good increases all the way to 9 pumps and then it starts decreasing. Difficulty (resistance) in pumping started getting noticeably harder than normal at 5 or 6. The resistance was more like stock gun at 10 pumps.

BillK

Your flat top valve is holding air!
Take the trigger/sear spring out of the grip frame you replaced and put it in the flat top valve.  It is a little bit lighter spring and should allow you to dump all the air out of the valve.  Worst case is that you may have to cock the gun before pumping.

You can also go with a power adjuster from C. Mellon but I would try the change of valve spring first.
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

Trophyhunter49

FLplinker

Quote from: BillK on March 08, 2016, 12:08:33 AM
Your flat top valve is holding air!
Take the trigger/sear spring out of the grip frame you replaced and put it in the flat top valve.  It is a little bit lighter spring and should allow you to dump all the air out of the valve.  Worst case is that you may have to cock the gun before pumping.

You can also go with a power adjuster from C. Mellon but I would try the change of valve spring first.
I have a power adjuster that I bought from Alchemy AirWerks. His has an external knob to turn for adjustment. Should I turn the knob to screw it in or out? Would it be worth the disassembly to exchange the springs so that I have both lighter spring & power adjuster? Or just adjust the PA?

quickster47 †

Quote from: FLplinker on March 08, 2016, 02:22:29 AM
I have a power adjuster that I bought from Alchemy AirWerks. His has an external knob to turn for adjustment. Should I turn the knob to screw it in or out? Would it be worth the disassembly to exchange the springs so that I have both lighter spring & power adjuster? Or just adjust the PA?

Screwing it in will give you a stiffer spring, harder to cock and all that stuff.  Screwing it out will loosen the spring force.

Carl

In Omnia Paratus