• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Trajectory Target

Started by CraigH, July 04, 2016, 04:44:46 PM

CraigH

I bought a book some time back titled "Gun Digest Book of the .22 Rifle" (published 2009) by C. Rodney James.  There is a lot of good information some of which is useful for air guns too.

There is, for example, mention of cracks or splits on projectile bases affecting accuracy which relates to a recent post by arkmaker on a flyer caused by a chip on a pellet skirt.

I found the subject of trajectory targeting interesting - using just one target with multiple bullseyes shot at multiple distances.  It gives an excellent graphic representation.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

Redleg

I have trouble remembering differences between some of my air guns and I have some 50 foot small bore rifle targets (Bushnell) that I can use for this and keep on hand for reference.

Also it seems that this would be a good way to record differences according to number of pumps!
Crosman 3576, , C1377, C2400kt, IZH-60, Beeman P17,31 Crosman Vigilante, Tanfoglio Limited, Tanfoglio Gold

oldgearhead

I like the free software from Hawke, Chair Gun Pro:

1377 example:
J-B or GooGone?
Tissue test and Q-tips
JSB Exact or LUM-77?
Longer barrel?

CraigH

I also like the fact that group sizes are seen on the trajectory target.  Something of a real life snapshot.
Craig
Lone Tree, Colorado

With freedom comes a terrible responsibility

arkmaker †

Prurley an opinion, but weight has a lot to do with groupings. I found that when I shoot my 1740 using 10.34 grain vs 7.3 grain, that I need to aim a bit lower with the heavier pellet at 10 meters. Seems like it would be opposite, but I have tested it out multiple times....

Hmmm, that may or may not relate to firearms and the discussion at hand  ???
I Am A Natural Mad Air Gunner  -  Full Of Hot Air & Ready To Expel It Quickly!

114 Rifle, 2240XL Pistol, 1861 Shiloh Pistol, 357 Pistols, Titan GP Rifle, PM66 Rifle, 2400KT .177 LW Carbine, CZ T200 Rifle, Benjamin Discovery .177 Rifle, Hammerli 850 Air Magnum in .22

quickster47 †

Quote from: arkmaker on July 05, 2016, 02:10:42 AM
Prurley an opinion, but weight has a lot to do with groupings. I found that when I shoot my 1740 using 10.34 grain vs 7.3 grain, that I need to aim a bit lower with the heavier pellet at 10 meters. Seems like it would be opposite, but I have tested it out multiple times....

I do believe the thread is really about airguns and pellets.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

Rualert

Quote from: arkmaker on July 05, 2016, 02:10:42 AM

I know this discussion is mainly air guns and pellets, but what you describe is also directly related to powder burners too. For instance I have seen the exact same thing with my PB's from 22 cal up. If you are zeroed at say 25 or 50 yards at a shorter distance you typically do have to aim a little lower to get the correct POI. You can really see it with our air guns, another example my M-rod is zeroed at 25 yards most of the time, and if I shoot it at 10-15 it hits low. This is really noticeable with the Talon that I keep zeroed at 50 and 100 yards.

Casey