• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Recycling shreds

Started by RinCG, July 09, 2016, 06:11:57 PM

RinCG

Shredding documents is a necessary evil these days. Despite having no credit cards or even a bank account my household generates a 33 gallon bag of shreds per month. The recycle bin is 64 gallons full every 2 weeks. Ginormous to me for a family of 2 adults.
There was a thread a few weeks ago (recurring I'm sure) about what to do when you have loaded a pellet and a charged valve - leave it or what?
Here is something that "makes safe" without leaving a loaded pumper/co2/pcp(have not tested integrity beyond 12ftlbs so test safely before relying on)
parts list:
container of suitable size. I use a 4# peanut butter plastic jar. A 1 gallon ice cream pail would work too.
enough shred to tightly pack the jar tightly(this jar has about 1/2 a home shredder container in it)
something to make a hole in lid. I used a 1/2" hole saw in this case, larger for bigger diameter obviously. A knife could be used in a pinch.

Takes about 5 minutes including gathering parts and tools. I'm assuming with a bucket and lid a pellet trap could be made similarly.
There is 10 test pellets in this all at 10 pumps from 14" barreled 1322 . Insert barrel barely vertically into hole in lid(straight down) and fire.
The spousal unit in living room heard the pumping but didn't hear the shots at the back door . So be careful out there.
pics:

Shreds are constantly renewing so no worry about needing material.I go through 2 jars of this size a month so have a couple "safe shooters" set up.
To clean up: Wet it down lightly with water when you feel the need to do a clean out, remove lid, dump contents into a shopping bag and dispose of properly(recycle the lead if you feel the need) . Pretty sure this isn't new but is an idea worth repeating.

Tater

Jerry

NW Chicago suburbs

RinCG

Was starting to think I was the only one who saw the need for one of these. My soup can full of duct seal was pretty stiff with lead and thought I'd give this a try.
Hope this helps others who have loaded up for a impromptu shot out the door only to either have the critter disappear or a clean shot not available. 

mudduck48

Well, that is one way, but how about, put the safety on safe, open the bolt, take a wood dowel and put it down the barrel and knock the pellet out, then close bolt, put muzzle in a towel and shoot air out. HUH??  ??? ??? ???
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

RinCG

yeah I over thought it. my bad.

BillK

Any excuse to "pull the trigger".  Been there, done that & will again & again......
West Michigan
Crosman Nitro Venom .22
Crosman 760 - 782 - 1077
Sheridan S S - H - E9
Benjamin NP pistol - Disco - Prod
MIC B1 .177
2300S - 2300T - 2400kt
1740 - 2240 - 2250 - 1760 - 2260 - 1701P
1322 - 1377
MK I & II

onebaddj

Thought i was the only paranoid person out there. Lol cool thing is when its full of lead burn it and recover the lead plus really destroy the evidence/records.

My wife calls me crazy cause i shred everything with my name or info on it.
i wasnt born with enough middle fingers. Marolyn manson.

targettgii

It's not paranoid it's smart thinking too many losers out there that will steal your identity right in front of you.
Tom

Modded 1377
Modded 2240
Modded 1322
1750 HPA pistol
Stock 2260(for now)
.22 Gen.2 Marauder
CCS 2300
Custom 1740
38 T

RinCG

LOL, I use a double cross cut shredder. So yeah I am paranoid.  :P

Old Dog

That is neat idea, one could have it on the bench when working on a pistol, don't have to get up
and go outside ect to clear the gun :-* :-* :-*

Bill :)
This Old Dog has outlived most of my enemies!!!
Many of my friends also, sorry to say!!!