• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

New to me SA 6

Started by Multigunner, July 21, 2017, 09:39:14 PM

Multigunner

Just received a fine example of the Crosman SA 6 revolver with minimal holster wear, mechanically perfect , recently resealed, and with original box and manual.
Just fired off a few dozen rounds and found it accurate though not as powerful as my other .22 CO2 handguns.

Anyone here have one of these? Any tips or good stories?

mudduck48

Pictures would be good.
We need to keep going and have fun doing it.

Multigunner

No pictures yet.
I did discover something useful. like almost all of these pistols the plastic capsule cover parted ways long ago. I suspect these got brittle and cracked and were discarded. In any case various methods of disguising the presence of the CO2 capsule such as plastic tubing or painting of capsules have been suggested.
When touching up the lone scratch on the barrel with aluminum blacking I found that the coating of the Crosman capsules reacted exactly the way aluminum or the alloy these guns are cast from. Swabbing the capsule with aluminum black turned it coal black instantly.
I don't intend to swab every capsule I use in this gun but will keep this black stained one for display purposes.

I think I'll obtain some lightweight alloy .22 pellets. I've seen several brands of 10.5 Gr .22 pellets advertised.
As gas pressure drops one has to hold a little high to preserve POI. The lighter pellets should give a bit higher velocity.

The circuitous route the gas takes before reaching the pellet base is likely the culprit in low velocity compared to the amount of gas used for each shot. I haven't felt any gas escape at front or rear of cylinder so otherwise the complicated valve and seals seem to be in perfect condition.

I have read of mods to these guns that can boost velocity to nearly 500 FPS using the standard 14.3 grain CPHP, but I doubt I'll ever go in for such mods. I already have three .22 CO2 pistols which give much higher velocity than specified by the factory. My 78g must be hitting well over 500 FPS with the minor mods I've done, stronger striker spring and Mac 1 Hot Valve, and is going to be deadly on small game and pests. My Mk1 is also generating very high velocities. I suspect it was extensively modded by a previous owner.
MAC 1 makes a valve rebuild kit that is suited to the SA 6 valve among others. If I ever need to replace the valve I'll install one of those, but otherwise it will remain in stock condition.

PS
The box is one of those with a tan coloration and nice cover art, not the old red and black box.

Also I helped a friend order a refurbed John Wayne Commemorative with distressed blued finish from Airgun Depot. Its the rifled pellet firing version. We ordered extra shell packs for his and my BB version, two packs of each type, along with plenty of Beeman wadcutter pellets.
Using my first time buyer 10% off coupon code that more than covered the shipping costs. Pretty good deal all around.

Guess I better get onto finishing my Mexican double loop holster pattern, got a lot of single actions to house now.