Do any of you wash your pellets?

Started by mcc1961, September 12, 2011, 03:38:19 AM

mcc1961

I was wanting to know the best way to wash pellets?
Airforce Condor .25
1377 modded with 24"barrel
Daisy 880

quickster47 †

Usually before I shoot an event I wash some pellets using the follow method.

Wash pellets with Dawn dish washing liquid, a few drops work fine. Then roll the pellets out on a dry absorbent cloth to dry. Once dry, place a little bit of lube in a pellet tin and add pellets until you an almost have a full tin. Place lid on tin and rotate the tin on its side slowly like a tumbler til all pellets are evenly coated.

Note: They don't need to be dripping in lube!

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

mcc1961

I am using white lightning epic ride bike lube how many drops should I use to a tin of pellets?
Airforce Condor .25
1377 modded with 24"barrel
Daisy 880

DRAGON64

I use the same wash method, Dawn in water with a little light swishing to cleanse the pellets.  I then cover a pizza sized pan with newspaper and spread the pellets out on it in a single layer.  This pan is placed in the sun and open air to dry.

As for lubing; I use an empty tin, with the little round sponge that comes with the tin (Crosman).  I add ten drps of Super Lube (Teflon oil) to the foam, and I place 50 or so pellets at a time in the tin, and then gently nroll them around.  After a couple hundred rounds, the sponge gets reseasoned with more Super Lube.
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

hotshot

Dragon64, you like your testing experiments. If you ever get bored maybe an accuracy and chrono test comparing washed and lubed compared to non?
1377c    -   "Pumpmaster" Carbine
1322      -    Custom carbine
2250B    -   "Ratcatcher"
EB20      -    Carbine
Sheridan

NorthStaR

I don't wash mine. The pellets I buy these days seem quite clean to me - as clean as lead gets!
The gas cleans whats left and my tube collects the rest.

I did (when I was a teen) used to polish the diabolo heads. Sometimes I would get a knife and put an X on it for a dum-dum pellet.
But that was many moons ago..... and pellets are better now with more choices. It was childish fun for me!
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

quickster47 †

Quote from: hotshot on September 12, 2011, 01:23:27 PM
Dragon64, you like your testing experiments. If you ever get bored maybe an accuracy and chrono test comparing washed and lubed compared to non?

From my own testing I can NOT say there was any accuracy improvement but I can say that because I felt better about the pellets I was shooting I probably did shoot better.  There are so many facets of shooting that are purely mental and this could be just another one of those.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

hotshot

Dont do what  a kid at school would and wash them in his mouth when re-loading! :o
1377c    -   "Pumpmaster" Carbine
1322      -    Custom carbine
2250B    -   "Ratcatcher"
EB20      -    Carbine
Sheridan

DRAGON64

Quote from: hotshot on September 12, 2011, 01:23:27 PM

I believe that lubing the pellets will help more with cleaning than accuracy.  The lube I am using has Teflon embedded in it, and with each pass of the bb, it deposits a little Teflon onto the surface of the barrel.  Cleaning lead and any other gunk should become much easier with the passage of time.

I have only just started, and the pellet lubing process is kind of time consuming... great for bad weather days.  As for washing... I should show you the lead dust that comes off of the Crosman pellets that are in the box (match pellets)... these pellets are filthy!!  Cleaning is a must for anyone using these pellets.  Imagine playing in graphite dust... yuck!
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

breakfastchef

This thread is confusing. I have read many posts/webpages espousing the virtues of washing and lubing pellets and many other webpages discouraging shooters from washing and lubing their lead. Is there really a definitive answer? Are the washers and lubers getting a more accurate pellet? Is washing and greasing only a benefit to a poorly manufactured pellet? I look forward to a barrage of vast knowledge on this subject.
Larry

eric

"is there a definitive answer ?" yes and the answer is no .will it help ? maybe --- others will say yes and other will say no --- just like what is best to use to clean your barrel --- very subjective  .
TOO many freaks and NOT enough circuses

DRAGON64

Quote from: eric on September 13, 2011, 02:41:40 AM
"is there a definitive answer ?" yes and the answer is no .will it help ? maybe --- others will say yes and other will say no --- just like what is best to use to clean your barrel --- very subjective  .

Exactly, I read alot on the subject, but it was not until a welll respected local shooter gave me some pointers, that I even attempted the process.  I would like to clarify, that I am not washing all of my pellets, only the Crosman pellets that come in cardboard box.  These are excellent shooting pellets for field target, but they come dusted with lead from the manufacturing process.  I'll take a pic or two to illustrate the issue.

Will the lead dust keep me from using them because they need to be cleaned first?  No, because they are better suited Crosman pellet for target practice and competition.

NorthStaR

The "each to their own" rule.

If it works for you, then go for it. Like many things in life what works for one person may not matter or work for another.

Carl made a great point. Sometimes it is mental thing and the cleaning has given you a mystical confidence. It may even be a case of you
having a zen moment whilst washing them before a shoot. Many sportsters have a routine to get them into the zone as it were.   :-*
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

Make MY day

I tried to get mine to take a shower or even use the Jaccuzi before shooting, but they kept going down the drain. ;D
With age comes skills.
It's called 'Multi Tasking'.
I can
Laugh, Cough, Sneeze, Fart and Pee all at the same time.

laptopdragon

i just washed a 4 tin pack of Gamo sample pellets.

tried them all, and they ALL suck, 1 out of 9 will not slide into the chamber correctly, so i washed them all. tin by tin.
going to see if the oiling of them helps at all. Gamo pellets are junk!

going back to crosman SSP lead free type.