• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

2240 12g not piercing

Started by cooki, September 13, 2011, 05:33:01 PM

cooki

Purchased some new crosman 12g capsules for my 2240&went to fit one today&for some reason it's not peicing at all.I have had it apart lately but only had the rear cap&hammer spring out&ther are back in fine now.the pistol still cocks fine&fires but obviously with no power&it makes the slap noise as if u havnt even got the co2 cap on.

Any ideas guys??
live each day as if its your last,because one day it will be

hotshot

Have you tried tightening up a bit more with a coin?
1377c    -   "Pumpmaster" Carbine
1322      -    Custom carbine
2250B    -   "Ratcatcher"
EB20      -    Carbine
Sheridan

cooki

Yes mate I've tried 2 different co2 end caps&tightened them down with a screw driver. Once I had tightened the cap down with a screw driver there was a slight mark on the canister where it nearly pierced. ???????

hotshot

Never had that happen and I have been thru hundreds of them. unless its a dodgy batch of bulbs? have ou got any others? if not you might have to take the valve out and check the piercing pin or shine a torh down there and see if u can see it?
EB20      -    Carbine
Sheridan

quickster47 †

I don't suppose you might have changed the hammer spring, did you?

And I just know you are using the same procedure of cocking the gun, installing the CO2 cartridge, snugging down the cap, and then firing it not once but twice.  Correct?

Did you look in the CO2 end and make sure the seal is still in place in the end of the valve?  The little brown/tan seal.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

cooki

Here is a quick picture from down the airtube guys. I think the seal is still there.no I havnt upgraded or messed with the spring it's still standard. All I have done is taken a power adjuster off&fitted the standard end cap.

Brutuz

I guess by using a power adjuster the hammerspring has lost a bit of it's strength.

Fill the end cap's internal hole half way down w. a piece of something same od as the hoel itself for a bit more preload, might just work..

Or replace the spring.
My Crosman pistols / My non-crosman collection /
I am also active on the UK Chinese Airgun Forum & sometimes on the GTA as well

quickster47 †

What had you done right before the problem started?  Was it working before your last modification to the gun?

Just another thought.  Looking at your picture it almost appears that the front trigger frame screw is a bit long and might be preventing the powerlet from being seated correctly against the seal.

Can you see that the piercing pin is even trying to puncture the powerlet?

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

Dutch Caliber

Is the screw as seen in the picture blocking anything? If the cartridge is not pierced at all than something in front of the valve must be to blame for that I think?

Edit: are thare marks on the cartridge's head indicating it's forced against the screw?
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese...

NorthStaR

When you had the power adjuster attached was it wound right up to give max tension? If so I reckon brutuz is right assuming
nothing has changed (as stated) and the screw isn't in the way or anything else is loose. Got your little breech screw in there?

One thing though. I was told or read somewhere to NEVER tighten the end cap with a coin or screwdriver.
Its a slippery road to needing a new seal and each time its tightened it may need a bit more and more....

....the cap should just hand tighten as when pressurized it locks it solid.

I find it difficult to undo a cap with a decent amount of gas in a 12g. By hand that is!  ;)

The only time I've had this issue was when the hammer spring wasn't strong enough for the valve spring to compress and
allow the stem to pierce the 12g. Either swap out the spring for a new/stiffer one of a lighter valve spring.

One last daft though, the stem is sharp enough et cetera to reach and pierce the capsule?  ???

IMHO!  ;)  Oh, the hammer is in the right way around?  :D ;D ;D ;D
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....

hotshot

the coin slot  as you say is for moments like when it cant be opened my hand I miss that slot my gmac end cap doesnt have one.
EB20      -    Carbine
Sheridan

cooki

There are no marks on the powerlet unless I screw the co2 cap on with a coin or something then Ther is a slight mark of the pin. I don't think that the screw is in the way as it hasn't been touched&it was all working fine a few weeks ago.
I did have the power adjuster wound in for max power so the spring could be damaged but I have just fitted another hammer spring off my 2250b Wich was working fine. I think it's a problem with the valve/pin. The hammer moves when you cock&fire the pistol it's just obviously not presurised ??????

quickster47 †

With no other listed solutions working then it sounds like the piercing pin is toast and should be replaced.  Could be time for a valve job or at least a looksy at the valve.

When you get the valve apart post a picture of the piercing pin.

When you had the power adjuster cranked all the way in, wasn't the gun overly hard to cock?

Carl

In Omnia Paratus

cooki

No mate wasn't overly hard if I'm honest but I am 6th 3inch& 16 stone lol.I wound it right in but then it wouldn't cock so backed it off a bit each time checking to see if it cocked ok&once it did I locked it in to place&was absolutely fine.
The valve is an area I have never been near befo I have never had the trigger guard assembly off or been near the valve so should be a good learning curve.

NorthStaR

My monies on the hammer spring being compressed for too long and has held the reduced shape from what you say.  :-*
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....