• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

A bit Long - Just got and tested a Precision Shot's Chrony - NOT BAD I MUST SAY!

Started by Capt. Thomas, September 18, 2011, 02:08:57 PM

Capt. Thomas

Ok fellas, this is a bit long so I'm sorry. It's not often that I spend this much of my or your time so bear with me. I got this Precision Shot's PS 2 Chrony and I tested it against my Chrony Gamma Master tonight. I was a bit skeptical because I "heard a few bad comments" on other forum's about cheap / made in China / not accurate or consistent etc. etc. and also that it was on special for $46.95?? I'm thinking to myself no wonder it's getting a bad rap, no chrony for $50 can be accurate? So I just called them and asked them straight up if they would accept a return if I didn't like or it was a P.O.S. accuracy wise.

The fellow on the phone was pretty up front and told me they HAD some issues and that they had learned their lesson the hard way about cheap / offshore made / Chinese quality and that the only thing not US made or assembled in their new PS 2 model was the housing it's self. All the internals are from Texas Instruments in Dallas and they now assemble and test in house.

Ok cool, a us made AND assembled product! But I'm still worried about the price vs. quality and or light sensitivity? So again being straight up, I tell him I'm going to test it against my Chrony Gamma? Lee continues to tell me that if I don't like it I can return it no questions asked and that it is accurate and their sensors are much less sensitative to the ambient light than a Chrony brand. Hmmm ....... ok, I'm on the hook and I figure for $50 the worst it could be, would being out the $4-$5 to return ship it, so I ordered and it arrived First Class Mail! This thing is light weight, fits in your pocket and the delivered cost was $53.95!

Ok Ok......... enough of the back story. How does it work...... GREAT! This little gem is not fancy, it has no bells & whistles or any options for printers or connection to a P/C etc. other than f.p.s. / m.p.s. (for you boys acroos the pond  :-*) but it does have a shot timer which may be cool if you have some full auto or rapid fire repeaters (I'm going to test that function tomorrow on my burst fire & full auto Drodz Black Bird  8)). This thing is down & dirty fast to use. Just turn it on and it zeros in about 3 seconds then it ready to shoot, that's it.

So how about the accuracy and light sensitivity? Ok, I busted out the Gamma and it took me a good five minutes to set up including clipping the two led lights on the diffusers because it was dark and the one CFL bulb on my back deck don't cut it. The PS 2 Chrony took 3 seconds to turn on and zero. I fired two 10 shot strings and had a variance of 2-4 f.p.s., that's it! The damn thing works in almost dark conditions and I only had one err / fail to read! I'm stoked at this point so I take the brand spanking new squeaky out of the box PC77 up to 8 pumps instead of the 5 I had just used on the two 10 shot strings and my Gamma reads 501.3, the PS 2 reads 498. Close enough for me! Then it hits me, what about a real powder burner and muzzle blast being that close to the chrony (which my Gamma most times doesn't like). So I grab my trusty Para Ordnance 10mm and run 12 rnds. through it with no issues. I'm likeing this PS 2 a lot..... in the dark, errr porch light.

Bottom line and I guess time will tell but for a dark 9:00 pm, raising hell in the jungle for a first test, this thing passes with flying colors  8) I think this is a really neat, light weight and easy to use chrony that will really hit the spot for the guys on a budget or if you want to just take a quick down & dirty measurement to compare to right after doing a mod. like changing hammer springs, piston and valve mod's, power adjuster settings, different ammo etc. with out having to drag out and set up the full blown Chrony. Being able to use it under a porch light at night just kills me! I like  :-*

Oh, the 500 f.p.s. on 8 pumps was cool too!

Capt. Thomas 
My prayer to God is a very short one: 'Oh, Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' God has granted it. - Voltaire
Capt. James Thomas

grumpy

Thanks for the review. I have been considering one an I think ya just prodded me to order one.

Dave

1377x

nice !
perfoms in low light!nice!
im going to look into one of these gadgets!
closed mouths dont get fed