• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Cheap Chrony

Started by grumpy, September 21, 2011, 02:53:35 PM

ginoe

i've recently acquired this chrony after reading up on it in the various forums. i was happy to see that they worked out the bugs on the 1st generation device & started making the ps2 in texas. when it arrived, i was immediately disappointed when i saw stamped on the plastic housing MADE IN CHINA (but after reading capt t review - only the housing is made in china).

i'm glad i made the purchase, the device works well.  i've chrony'ed my various ag's through it (which made me disappointed again when i discovered the actual fps is not what the declared fps is). example: my stock 1377 stated 'up to 600 fps', i chrony'ed mine to be an average of 458 fps @ 10 pumps with a 10.5 grain pellet. i guess i have to pay closer attention to the meaning of '...up to...'

i am afraid to chrony my big bore .50 dragon claw with this (or any of my powder burners) due to the harsh muzzle blast. i was considering macgyver'ing up a blast shield to protect the chrony face  (see pic of mock up).

for the cats that used this on their powder burners, what was the distance from the muzzle to the face of the chrony?

image hosting png

grumpy

I doubt it would stand up to the blast of a .50 cal. Most I would try is a .25.

Your lucky to have gotten one that has the proper tripod threads. Mine does not and I have tried to contact lee with no luck about it. I stopped recommending it.

Dave

cheewee

Quote from: grumpy on February 16, 2012, 05:33:49 PM

I stopped recommending it.

Dave

because of the tripod issues or were there other problems?

jeff

people take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.
just because they are not on your road doesnt mean there lost.

ginoe

i searched the 'net & found a youtube of this chrony, around the 1:30 mark it shows the tripod mount.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKSN4TZC48#]Precision Shots Chronograph - MY Review Of This On-line Sale Item[/url]

(edit)
btw: i re-chrony'ed the 1377 with a lighter 7.9 grain pellet & i get an average of 521 fps (getting closer to 600 fps).
i'll have to grab those crosman lead free silver eagle hollow point @ 4.8 grains & see how fast they are (probably higher fps, will have to see how accurate).

Capt. Thomas

As I mentioned in my review, I have fired 10mm, .44 Spcl., .45ACP & .45 Long Colt through mine, no issues!
I think any air gun, big bore or not won't be an issue  :-* I put everything right on the built in muzzel rest, no chance of shooting your chrony. Again, no issues. I love mine.

Capt. Thomas
My prayer to God is a very short one: 'Oh, Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' God has granted it. - Voltaire
Capt. James Thomas

tuckera

I got one of these after reading a review here.  He lost my order and I had to call after a couple of weeks to get it straightened out.  When I got it, the tripod threads were cross threaded.  I fixed that by running a tap through it.  After that, it worked fine.  I'm not sorry I bought it, because it's cheap and works well for pellet guns, and I didn't mind fixing the threads.  I wouldn't recommend it in general except for extremely cheap frugal people like me.  The guy that runs the business was nice enough on the phone.  If I were to order again, I'd place the order on the phone rather than online.
andy

grumpy

I stopped recommending it due to the makers poor communication ( read zero )

I just ordered a combro to compare to this one and will make a  comparison as soon as it arrives.

Yes I know I could a ordered an F1 or higher, but I need something that does not require fiddling with indoor lights.

Dave

NorthStaR

I have a combro. I think they're pretty good.  :-*
Double-tap!

Crosman: Western 45, Western Shiloh 1861, 766, *Mk1*, 2250b Crosmods, AS2250XT Quickshot Repeater, 2240 Bling Star,
                1322 Folding Camo Sniper, Bling EB22, 2250b Violin TDR, W-2250, Crosshairs Special 1377SD, 2550 Carbine & still counting...

In progress: BNM BSA 2260 Repeater, SS Subcompact Stubby 22xx, 2 x 600, and .... and ....