• Welcome to Crosman Air Pistol Owners Forum.

Cleaning pellets??

Started by mcc1961, September 23, 2011, 06:21:58 AM

mcc1961

I just ordered some  Beeman cleaning pellets and was wanting to know exactly how to use them?

Airforce Condor .25
1377 modded with 24"barrel
Daisy 880

jglover

Pack two or three of them into your gun and shoot it, that's all there is to it.  Maybe repeat if the pellets appear really dirty once fired.

john

laptopdragon

i saw those for sale onine, but dismissed them on the basis of not knowing if they themselves leave a residue behind

quickster47 †

Those cleaning pellets are neutral, no additives.  Just like a really tightly packed cotton ball.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

breakfastchef

It seems several manufacturers are discontinuing the cleaning pellets. Don't know why other than most airgunners don't use them. For me, a single cleaning pellet every few hundred rounds lets me know if the barrel has gotten too dirty. Often a cleaning pellet or two is all that is needed to keep my barrels clean without a full strip down and cleaning.
Larry

quickster47 †

Like Larry said, I use them after every tin of pellets or about every 250 pellets and for me it is a simple sanity check on the health of my barrels.  If they are really, really dirty then it is time for a good cleaning.

Carl

I've never wanted something so useless in my life.
In Omnia Paratus
1947-05-19 - 2016-07-14 †

mcc1961

Could u put some pellgun oil on them to help with the cleaning?
Airforce Condor .25
1377 modded with 24"barrel
Daisy 880

breakfastchef

Quote from: mcc1961 on September 24, 2011, 04:21:58 AM
Could u put some pellgun oil on them to help with the cleaning?

From what I have read, oil in the barrel in not necessarily a good thing. I have oiled .22 PB rifle barrels in the past, but always remove the oil before firing them. I would err on the side of safetly and not apply any oil or cleaner to a cleaning pellet for an airgun. Let them do their job. If you get a grimy pellet out of the end of your barrel, then you need to sit down for a cleaning. Otherwise, shoot a cleaning pellet eevery few hundred shots and you can probably go a few hundred moe.
Larry

1377x

wait a minute!
your supposed to clean the barrel :-[ ;)
closed mouths dont get fed

laptopdragon

Quote from: 1377x on September 24, 2011, 05:40:20 AM
wait a minute!
your supposed to clean the barrel :-[ ;)

lmao...
yeah...they're not for eating !

but speaking of eating pellets, can i shoot fish food (the come in pellets and are much cheaper and biodegradable.

JEBert

laptopdragon,
You can shoot anything that will fit down the barrel. ;D
If it doesn't come out, don't shoot any more before checking to see if it is still stuck in there.  We used to drop kitchen matches down our barrels and shoot them against brick, stone, or concrete walls to see them light up.  I used to know a guy that had a .69 cal black powder pistol and no mold that size.  He would shoot rocks, nails, screws, nuts, or anything he thought of.  Didn't pattern too badly either, considering.
Cheers,
Jerry
Jerry
NRA Life Member
USAF Veteran 1973-1977 (43151E) Sgt (E-4)

Capt. Thomas

Not to steal the thread but a thin film of oil or some type of lube / anti corrosive IS a good idea. This will not only prevent rust (mandatory in humid areas) but will prevent accumulated build up and yes, even though the heat and pressure is much less than a powder burner, their will be lead transfer. Even at a reduced rate with lubed / coated pellets, it will happen. A cleaning or a swip with a bore mop and a very light coat of oil is needed to prevent rust and keep the bore clean.

Capt. Thomas
My prayer to God is a very short one: 'Oh, Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' God has granted it. - Voltaire
Capt. James Thomas

1377x

i dont clean my barrels on airguns im scared it will mess with the accuracy
now my powderburners its a different story they get cleaned after every outing!
closed mouths dont get fed